Unsure if I should merge a LOI/update letter or write two separate letters.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matt20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sitting here writing a rough draft LOI for a school I've interviewed at and I realized I've included quite a few updates (work, research, volunteer, etc.). I don't think that's how a traditional LOI is supposed to be written, so I'm unsure if I just go with it or write two separate letters and send them both at the same time: one LOI, and one letter with updates to my activities.

Maybe I'm over thinking it. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Write one. Put it all in one letter. It may come off as annoying or "squeaky wheel-ish" if you send two.

Edit: lawllll

Write one. Put it all in one letter. It may come off as annoying or "squeaky wheel-ish" if you send two.

Edit: lawllll

Thanks for the input. I just have so much to write. It's going to be hard to condense it down to an acceptable length. I really want to keep it to a page max, and I'm currently sitting at a page and a half.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input. I just have so much to write. It's going to be hard to condense it down to an acceptable length. I really want to keep it to a page max, and I'm currently sitting at a page and a half.

Maybe write two letters like you said, but don't send both of them at the same time. Send one out now, and then one closer to when final acceptances are announced.

Reactions: 1 user
You want to orchestrate a campaign to get you an acceptance to this school. Determine how extensive this 'campaign' should be (1 letter, 2, 3?) based on your current status (post-interview unknown, wait list?), the school's typical admissions behavior (check the school-specific threads), and the amount of information you have that is suitable for inclusion. I'd try to time a communication to arrive a week or so before each major wave of admission decisions so your updates / interest will be fresh in their minds.

1-letter campaign? Condense.
3-letter campaign? Separate and/or stretch

Reactions: 2 users