Unsure of What to Do Now. Help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

izzybelle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I was in a 8 year direct medical program, and at the end of sophomore year, we apply to the medical school. Of course, we have to maintain a 3.6 minimum GPA, both science and non-science. We also have to attend a committee interview and a medical school interview. This program boosts a 98% acceptance rate into medical school if we follow all the requirements. Let me tell you, this is false advertisement at its finest.

I have a 3.95 GPA, 100 hours of physician shadowing (various specialties), 40+ hours of hospital voluteering, experience as a lab TA, tutored underprivileged children in reading, on E-board of a faith based group, not to mention section leader of my university's orchestra.

I received a letter from the medical school a couple days ago saying that that I was deferred. When I contacted the dean, he merely laughed and said I was not rejected but I simply must attend another interview at the end of my junior year. He said that the committee felt that I wasn't committed enough to the university and that they are going to give spots to students who really want to stay in the program and not apply out.

I'll be honest...I've always wanted to apply out from the program as I've been very unhappy going to school there. It's far away from home and a big burden financially. I only went there in hopes of getting accepted into medical school and applying out if I get a good enough MCAT score. Now, that is all taken away from me. I'm very disappointed, and my family is even more devastated than me.

I'm just wondering what to do. I can still transfer to another university which means being closer to home and just starting anew. The past couple years in the medical program have been personally difficult for me as I've had to deal with a lot of problems with different people and problematic roommates. I'm seriously dreading going back to school at my old university as its so much money and just simply not worth it anymore. I don't even want to go to that medical school!

The good thing is...I've already been studying for the MCAT all summer, so I'm not behind in anything. I'm just going to continue my mcat studying in hopes to take the january MCAT. If I transfer to loyola university, then I would continue shadowing and volunteering and various other service related activities. The only thing that would be tough is to find research.

My family and I are just devastated by what happened. We just don't know what to do. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd definitely leave the school if I were you. Your GPA is high and your EC's seem like they will be great when you apply. After getting a good/decent mcat score, you'll be able to apply to many schools on your own. And because you will be better off financially, you can spend some of that extra money for casting a wide net with respect the amount of schools you apply to. Not only that, but you'll be happier (at least hopefully) in a different setting and your parents wallets will be better off as well.

Can you provide a link to this program so I can get a better grasp of the situation? I have never heard of an 8 year direct medical program. Sounds like a gimmick to me but w/o that information I can't really give an informed opinion.

Would it be possible to transfer those credits to "Loyola?" If so I would suggest that you request a transfer and just start over from whatever transfers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont really understand your point as to why you are devastated and how this is a gimmick.

"I'll be honest...I've always wanted to apply out from the program as I've been very unhappy going to school there."

The dean wants to give the spots to the more determined applicants that are going to that specific school. If you showed that you intended on, or had plans on leaving, wouldnt it be fair to offer a spot to the people who do intend on staying?

Thank you for being frank with me!

I've consulted upperclassmen and they urged me to stay as I still have another shot to get into this medical school next spring. I just see no point because I have no desire whatsoever to attend that medical school. It's super expensive! I'm just speaking out of anger/sorrow maybe because I dread going back to school and seeing all of my friends who got accepted (many of them with less GPA/ credential than me) and just moving on with their lives. I don't want to whine and say it's unfair but it is. I hate how one interview can cause the committee to judge your entire persona.

I have a couple weeks to decide if I want to fully transfer. I will be happy if I leave my old university...nothing has gone well for me personally since I started going there; however, should I just go back and study for the mcat there and just stick it out to see if I feel better or should I get away from all of that personal stress and start fresh? I'm sure loyola will take my credits as I'm transferring from a jesuit university to this one.

I'm still very passionate to become a doctor though...that's never changed. I am just trying to figure out my next move. Thank you for your reply!

I dont really understand your point as to why you are devastated and how this is a gimmick.

"I'll be honest...I've always wanted to apply out from the program as I've been very unhappy going to school there."

The dean wants to give the spots to the more determined applicants that are going to that specific school. If you showed that you intended on, or had plans on leaving, wouldnt it be fair to offer a spot to the people who do intend on staying?

that is definitely true. I'm trying to make myself feel better by remembering that. However, my problem is whether I should stay at that university where I've faced many personal hurdles yet have a good academic network or should I transfer somewhere where I can start fresh and just study for the mcat in peace?

Can you provide a link to this program so I can get a better grasp of the situation? I have never heard of an 8 year direct medical program. Sounds like a gimmick to me but w/o that information I can't really give an informed opinion.

Would it be possible to transfer those credits to "Loyola?" If so I would suggest that you request a transfer and just start over from whatever transfers.

that is definitely true. I'm trying to make myself feel better by remembering that. However, my problem is whether I should stay at that university where I've faced many personal hurdles yet have a good academic network or should I transfer somewhere where I can start fresh and just study for the mcat in peace?

mcat of peace...

If you switch school, be sure to think about where your LORs will come from (especially if your first school has a premed committee)

To the other guys, it's probably a BS/MD program which are 8-years. It's pretty common

mcat of peace...

If you switch school, be sure to think about where your LORs will come from (especially if your first school has a premed committee)

To the other guys, it's probably a BS/MD program which are 8-years. It's pretty common

I do know that if I plan to switch schools, my university will definitely provide the letter for me. I'm sure loyola has a committee too. Honestly, I'm a little bit worried about that too.

Wow... that entire thing seems like a scam! Well, maybe not a scam. But definitely a wall of nonsense and technicality. As someone else mentioned, your stats and activities will allow you to easily apply on your own to other places (barring anything terrible with the MCAT). Get out of there as soon as you can! It seems like a toxic environment.

Wow... that entire thing seems like a scam! As someone else mentioned, your stats and activities will allow you to easily apply on your own to other places (barring anything terrible with the MCAT). Get out of there as soon as you can! It seems like a toxic environment.

It certainly is!!

What's worse is that some people have actually gotten REJECTED. Can you believe that!? They come from all over the country because their program acceptance letter boasts a "98%" acceptance into medical school. Such a scam. The students they end up accepting are by no means more intelligent than the average student. It is pure LUCK.

It sounds like you certainly top notch stats and ECs which already boosts your chances for entry substantially, just blow away the MCAT and you pretty much have a blank check to go where ever your heart desires and leave that place behind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the inherent problems with these programs (this one sounds a lot like SLU's Med Scholars): there's no guarantee. My guess is that they deferred you since you are a great applicant, and they have a high suspicion that you will indeed apply out of the program. Otherwise, something you said in your interview gave the committee the impression that you intend to apply out. However, this might not actually be an unfavorable decision.

Continue your MCAT studying and take the test as planned. If you score well, then forget about the school and apply to wherever your heart desires. If you get a poor score, then suck up to the committee next year and really convey your interest in the school.

In terms of transferring, it's your choice. If you can maintain a 3.95 GPA, you're golden. The one thing to consider, though, is that you will need to forge new relationships with professors and the pre-med committee for future recommendation letters.

FWIW, other people have discussed SLU Med Scholars on forums before. The 98% is likely not accurate, unless there are >100 students in the program each year (which would over-saturate their med school class, IMO).

I agree with Penguin. I think something you said in the interview made them feel less confident about you. Or it could have been how you said something. Otherwise, you should have gotten accepted.

If you feel that strong to not go to that school, study for the MCAT. It's your only way out.

You're kidding, right?

The program takes people who want to continue and become MDs from their medical school.

By your own admission, you don't want to stay. You want to apply elsewhere.

By your own admission, the dean told you that he doesn't think you want to stay (you don't), and he thinks you want to apply elsewhere (you do), so they didn't take you.

But somehow you're surprised?

Waaaah the dean just bolstered my pre-conceived idea of transferring out because I hate this school! Why is he so unfair? I just want to get accepted so I don't have to go to that awful place!

^^

Guys, there's no need to be upset. He is just venting and coming here for advice. Don't be like the SDNers you swore you'd never become :)

OP, everyone has given you solid advice. It's up to you to decide exactly how much you dislike being at that school and to act accordingly!

Good luck with your medical school goals in 2015

Talk to your advisor if you feel you have been wronged.

I don't understand the dilemma. You hate your current school, it's expensive and a financial burden, and you don't want to go to that medical school.

So, transfer, forge some new relationships, destroy the MCAT, and apply next year to schools you actually want to go to. This doesn't seem like a terribly difficult decision.

:troll:

100%

1338506747767.jpg

You're kidding, right?

The program takes people who want to continue and become MDs from their medical school.

By your own admission, you don't want to stay. You want to apply elsewhere.

By your own admission, the dean told you that he doesn't think you want to stay (you don't), and he thinks you want to apply elsewhere (you do), so they didn't take you.

But somehow you're surprised?

This is a good post.

OP, please read it again and look in the mirror.