This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drIce001

Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! I will be starting the in person MS program in June. Is there a groupme for the incoming class?

Hi OP! I don’t have an answer-but I’m considering this program and was wondering your stats for admission?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi OP! I don’t have an answer-but I’m considering this program and was wondering your stats for admission?
I am wondering this too, I just applied for the online cohort starting in the fall

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! When did you submit your application in? I applied to the online cohort and am going crazy waiting for a decision
I was marked as complete for all documents on 04/15. I applied for the online cohort as well (backup were I not chosen for the in-person) and have not heard anything back from them

I was marked as complete for all documents on 04/15. I applied for the online cohort as well (backup were I not chosen for the in-person) and have not heard anything back from them

I submitted same day so that’s a bit reassuring. I know they review apps as they come in but I’m just eager for an answer. If you get accepted to both programs, which one do you think you’ll accept?

I will take the in-person! Know from experience that I learn better in a traditional setting than online

Congrats! When did you submit your application in? I applied to the online cohort and am going crazy waiting for a decision
maybe we will hear this week?

I was in an informational session a few weeks ago and they said decisions for the online cohort come out on May 20th if you submitted by the priority deadline (April 15th).

I applied on April 14th for the online cohort, my rec letters were sent in by April 29. My application status just changed today to "Under Review"

I applied on April 14th for the online cohort, my rec letters were sent in by April 29. My application status just changed today to "Under Review"
I just saw mine just changed to under review as well. Fingers crossed for the both of us!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will take the in-person! Know from experience that I learn better in a traditional setting than online
i am finishing the online program and i feel like it was much easier than whatever the in-person setting people had to do. i know for a fact anatomy was easier because of Dr. Handler. i would've hated having to commute and do all that non-sense, as those costs add up. Instead i travelled around and got my stuff done early in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know how many they accept for the online cohort? I had everything submitted before the priority deadline for the online cohort and hoping to hear back soon...

i am finishing the online program and i feel like it was much easier than whatever the in-person setting people had to do. i know for a fact anatomy was easier because of Dr. Handler. i would've hated having to commute and do all that non-sense, as those costs add up. Instead i travelled around and got my stuff done early in the morning.
Can I PM you a few questions about the online program?

Does anyone know how many they accept for the online cohort? I had everything submitted before the priority deadline for the online cohort and hoping to hear back soon...
Not sure how many they accept but I do know we are suppose to hear back no later than this Friday

Not sure how many they accept but I do know we are suppose to hear back no later than this Friday
From the information session I believe they said they plan to accept around 200

I just heard back about the online program today! :) Did anyone else get accepted and know of a groupme?

I just heard back about the online program today! :) Did anyone else get accepted and know of a groupme?
accepted as well! no idea about a group chat as of yet

Is there any linkage with the med school?
Searched and couldn't find an exact answer for that, but the site says:

Program Success

This program has been very successful in assisting students to better their chances for acceptance into a professional school. In the class that graduated in 2017, 88% of students who matriculated graduated with a master’s degree. Approximately 82 percent of these were successful in gaining admission into medical/dental school in the State of Texas and across the United States.

Searched and couldn't find an exact answer for that, but the site says:

Program Success

This program has been very successful in assisting students to better their chances for acceptance into a professional school. In the class that graduated in 2017, 88% of students who matriculated graduated with a master’s degree. Approximately 82 percent of these were successful in gaining admission into medical/dental school in the State of Texas and across the United States.
Thank you. I was hoping for a formal linkage with TCOM.

Thank you. I was hoping for a formal linkage with TCOM.
Maybe go back to the thread from last year's cohort and ask somebody there what percent of SMP students get interviews at TCOM. I am pretty sure there is not any guarantee of admission but there may be some agreement that metrics achieved in the program will get you an interview. Here's last year's: UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2020-2021

Is there any linkage with the med school?
I actually am not on the waitlist for TCOM, but a different school.
For what it is worth though, I am an ER scribe in Waco that works with a couple docs who went to TCOM who both said like a solid third to one half of their respective cohort did this program.
Edit: from a statistical analysis though, also wanna look at what proportion of the med sci students get into TCOM, not just what proportion of TCOM is from med sci

I actually am not on the waitlist for TCOM, but a different school.
For what it is worth though, I am an ER scribe in Waco that works with a couple docs who went to TCOM who both said like a solid third to one half of their respective cohort did this program.
Edit: from a statistical analysis though, also wanna look at what proportion of the med sci students get into TCOM, not just what proportion of TCOM is from med sci
Yes, the bolded is what I can't find the stats for. However, if 82% of UNTHSC SMP graduates get in to some med school, that sounds pretty great to me.

who? :shy: share your news, y'all!
3 people in this thread said they were accepted yesterday! It’s a bit further up. I have yet to hear back but I’m hoping that doesn’t mean anything and I’ll just get the good news tomorrow.

• Love
3 people in this thread said they were accepted yesterday! It’s a bit further up. I have yet to hear back but I’m hoping that doesn’t mean anything and I’ll just get the good news tomorrow.
Still waiting as well, did you receive any news today yet?

Hello everyone, I just finished the MedSci program 21-22 (In person) here's my unsolicited advice:

1. Many people here are looking for redemption, despite that, I experience a very united group that helped each other by sharing resources. On that note, make sure you DO YOUR BEST to obtain that 4.0 (If you don't get it it's cool but it's ideal)
2. Info will come at you at a very fast pace, kinda like med school but not. It is doable to succeed, so be aware, and come with a study plan ready if you don't have it there is a learning center, use it to your advantage. Some find it helpful / others do not.
3. Make friends, set boundaries, make connections, establish priorities, and don't burn out (Set time aside for hobbies, explore Ft Worth, do sports, etc). Find your circle of friends that will help each other out in rough times.
4. You can get in (Medsci) with a low MCAT but you'll have to take the MCAT prep during the Summer. MAKE SURE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE AND TAKE IT VERY SERIOUSLY. IDEALLY, TAKE MCAT BEFORE THE FALL SEMESTER. TRUST ME ON THIS, DO YOUR BEST GRIND ALL SUMMER, you'll thank me later. Fall and Spring semesters will have you busy and there is little time after the program (From experience 🥲). - This is if are applying next cycle, if you are currently applying, sit tight and hope for the best, some friends got accepted and dropped, others nothing happened-.
5. Other than that, this is an excellent program that will help you for whatever MD and DO (Only 1st year), PA, Ph.D., VET, etc. Congrats if you get accepted and be ready to do some serious work and enjoy the ride!

Feel free to ask any questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone, I just finished the MedSci program 21-22 (In person) here's my unsolicited advice:

1. Many people here are looking for redemption, despite that, I experience a very united group that helped each other by sharing resources. On that note, make sure you DO YOUR BEST to obtain that 4.0 (If you don't get it it's cool but it's ideal)
2. Info will come at you at a very fast pace, kinda like med school but not. It is doable to succeed, so be aware, and come with a study plan ready if you don't have it there is a learning center, use it to your advantage. Some find it helpful / others do not.
3. Make friends, set boundaries, make connections, establish priorities, and don't burn out (Set time aside for hobbies, explore Ft Worth, do sports, etc). Find your circle of friends that will help each other out in rough times.
4. You can get in (Medsci) with a low MCAT but you'll have to take the MCAT prep during the Summer. MAKE SURE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE AND TAKE IT VERY SERIOUSLY. IDEALLY, TAKE MCAT BEFORE THE FALL SEMESTER. TRUST ME ON THIS, DO YOUR BEST GRIND ALL SUMMER, you'll thank me later. Fall and Spring semesters will have you busy and there is little time after the program (From experience 🥲). - This is if are applying next cycle, if you are currently applying, sit tight and hope for the best, some friends got accepted and dropped, others nothing happened-.
5. Other than that, this is an excellent program that will help you for whatever MD and DO (Only 1st year), PA, Ph.D., VET, etc. Congrats if you get accepted and be ready to do some serious work and enjoy the ride!

Feel free to ask any questions.
do you feel as if the program was too hard to also work a part time job during? I applied to the online program in hopes I would be able to continue working at my job because I really enjoy it. However, I'm concerned because doing extremely well in this program is my main priority.

do you feel as if the program was too hard to also work a part time job during? I applied to the online program in hopes I would be able to continue working at my job because I really enjoy it. However, I'm concerned because doing extremely well in this program is my main priority.
You should consider the SMP to BE your full time job if you are to gain the benefits you are looking for. Keep your end goal your priority.

I heard back on the 18th that I was accepted. Excited and nervous to start! Any advice from previous students? Also is there a group messaging system already in place?

They strongly suggest you not to work so you can perform at your best. However, I have friends (from the in-person) who worked a few hours a week and did ok. My personal advice is not to work as saureus00 said, focus on priorities. Unless you have god-level time management skills or something.

Hi everyone ! How long did it take for the application to go under review after complete submission of docs and all ?

I heard back on the 18th that I was accepted. Excited and nervous to start! Any advice from previous students? Also is there a group messaging system already in place?
Hi! I just finished the program and congrats to you for getting in!!

It's hard! fast and furious amount of information coming at you, but a great prep for medical school! Find a group of people that help you to study and stay true to yourself! some classes last a month or month and a half and some go the whole semester (don't neglect those LOL). you'll learn what works for some classes, may not work for others. but it's a great way to learn different study techniques and how to adjust quickly. some of the classes you get different professors where you also need to learn how to adjust. although there's a lot of pressure to do well and get into medical school, it's not worth selling your soul over it. yes, all A's is the goal, but it's also about you putting YOUR BEST EFFORT!

Find a hobby/personal goal you may have for yourself as well to help balance school/life priorities. a few of my classmates trained for workout goals like marathon goals, played basketball, and we had some cohort outings! work with your peers and don't compare yourself!! everyone is there to help YOU GET TO YOUR GOALS!!

applying to medical school, if your application is strong - MCAT, GPA, activities - maybe try applying? But that is up to YOU. I applied when I got accepted and I felt a lot of schools don't really care that you got into the program and will wait until you finish the program to see your final grades. There were some in my cohort that matched on match day, but a lot of us were waitlisted as well. If you do have to retake your MCAT, also up to you. I think a few of my classmates took the MCAT prep course in the summer, but are now studying to take it and apply this cycle.

You learn so much about yourself as a student and as a person! even though it's a 'gap year', it's also another great chapter to your story!! embrace it and grow!! you'll get so much more at orientation and don't be intimidated!! bc you got this!!

lemme know if you have any other questions :)

side note - i loved having my iPad to take notes but there were some that used paper and pen bc that worked best for them!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I’m still waiting unfortunately. Maybe next week?
I just got updated and was put on a waitlist:/ Does anyone know how the waitlist works and the realistic chances at being accepted once on it?

I just got updated and was put on a waitlist:/ Does anyone know how the waitlist works and the realistic chances at being accepted once on it?
I was also put on the waitlist. :( I'm super bummed. I'm also curious about the odds of a spot opening up and getting accepted later on.

Just got the email that I was rejected. Good luck to those on the waiting list and congrats to those accepted!

• Sad
I was also put on the waitlist. :( I'm super bummed. I'm also curious about the odds of a spot opening up and getting accepted later on.
I was just accepted today ! Looks like it only took an additional week.

I applied to the online MedSci program and submitted my application on April 14th, was initially waitlisted on May 23rd, and then was accepted on June 1st. I initially requested all my transcripts to be sent to PostbacCAS for my application, but I was also retaking some of my prerequisite courses at my local community college. Grades were finalized in May, but my mistake was requesting my final transcript to be sent to PostbacCAS rather than UNTHSC so I think I was waitlisted since they didn't receive my final transcript from my community college on time (even though I requested it back in March for my transcript to be sent out once my grades were finalized, just had it sent to the wrong place o_O). I ended up paying more to reorder my transcript, but it's okay because everything is good now.

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted!! I would love to connect with anyone who is in the online MedSci program!! The more brains the better! :woot:

Status
Not open for further replies.