UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas) 2023-2024 *In-Person*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FAQ from your fellow MedSci Grad

**Keep in mind they've changed a couple of things since I graduated.(i.e. MCAT no longer required, tuition, etc). I'm not sure if they are requiring to get their laptops like we did, but i include that in the cost for the summer

1. What were your stats? Undergrad: 3.55 GPA; MedSci: 3.85; MCAT: 503, 510
2. What was the costs? Were you in-state/out-of-state? In-state; Tuition- Summer: 5372; Fall: 3955; Spring: 3962. These costs do not include housing/transportation/food which will vary depending where you stay.
3. What are the available scholarships/ways to pay for the program? Are there any grants available? I wasn't aware of any scholarships they offered, but I do believe you can apply to some that have deadlines in March. Only grant i received was for 2000, loans covered all else including housing
4/5. What is your typical day like? Could you have a job whilst in the program? This program is meant to be an application enhancer into a health career. It will simulate a block-schedule in the Fall and Spring meaning back-to-back courses. The summer (f2f cohort) is usually easier to work if you'd like but do so at your own discretion. Here is the current calendar they follow, red means required attendance.
6. How do you do housing? Is it included with the tuition? Housing is not included with tuition, it's a separate costs. You have to find your own apartments. They do have partnerships with certain apartments. Otherwise I would find something relatively cheap since it's only a 1-yr program, unless you choose to do the extended 2-yr research track.
7/8. How did the MCAT prep help you with the actual test? How is the MCAT prep structured? MCAT prep was not that helpful imo. It's based off TPR which will have set classes and homework (optional) assigned with it. The only thing I found useful from TPR was access to all AAMC MCAT prep material. Unless you don't have FAP for AAMC MCAT prep, I wouldn't take the course. What helped me most for retaking MCAT was doing well in MedSci classes and using my new test-taking strategies I gained.
9. Are you in medical school? How did this program prep you for that? Yes! currently at my #1 choice. MedSci definitely boosted my chances for entry for sure, but I would not say it was the determining factor. I strugged with imposter syndrome and low stats before MedSci, but after I saw I could handle the academic rigor, I showed the adcoms that I was more than capable despite my undergrap GPA. The material I learned from MedSci helped me for the first semester, everything else you will learn once you get in.
10. How are the advisors? The advisors were okay to good for the most part. It really depends who you're assigned to. I was fortunate to have the MedSci program director as my advisor. So I would lean on her to be able to write a LOR shes super helpful!
11. How are the classmates? Your cohort will differ from every year. Mine was SUPER collaborative since we all knew this was our 2nd chance at a shot for med/dental/PA/etc school. We had a Slack group created and shared resources so I hope y'alls will be helpful too!
12. What is the linkage rate from this program to medical school? Is it DO school heavy or MD heavy? Is it Texas heavy? From my observations I feel that school is more DO-linked, especially to VCOM. But I'm going to attach a pic from previous classes and where they went.
13. Overall would you say if the program is worth it for someone with low stats to medical school? I would say it is a good program for someone with low stats. It won't fill in the gaps if you are lacking other things in your application, but will do a great job if you take it seriously and do well.
14. What is the total amount of credits? contact the school for accurate total credits but here is what i found. It will vary depending if you opt-in for MCAT prep.
15. Is it feasible to commute for MedSci? I was in the f2f cohort and lived near campus so I personally found it better to be near. However, there were a few classmates that commuted from Frisco and made it work.

Lengthy response, but I hope this helps and if you got any more q's don't hesitate to reach out!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 10.50.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 10.50.36 PM.png
    565.5 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: 4 users

**Keep in mind they've changed a couple of things since I graduated.(i.e. MCAT no longer required, tuition, etc). I'm not sure if they are requiring to get their laptops like we did, but i include that in the cost for the summer

2. What was the costs? Were you in-state/out-of-state? In-state; Tuition- Summer: 5372; Fall: 3955; Spring: 3962. These costs do not include housing/transportation/food which will vary depending where you stay.
3. What are the available scholarships/ways to pay for the program? Are there any grants available? I wasn't aware of any scholarships they offered, but I do believe you can apply to some that have deadlines in March. Only grant i received was for 2000, loans covered all else including housing
4/5. What is your typical day like? Could you have a job whilst in the program? This program is meant to be an application enhancer into a health career. It will simulate a block-schedule in the Fall and Spring meaning back-to-back courses. The summer (f2f cohort) is usually easier to work if you'd like but do so at your own discretion. Here is the current calendar they follow, red means required attendance.
6. How do you do housing? Is it included with the tuition? Housing is not included with tuition, it's a separate costs. You have to find your own apartments. They do have partnerships with certain apartments. Otherwise I would find something relatively cheap since it's only a 1-yr program, unless you choose to do the extended 2-yr research track.
7/8. How did the MCAT prep help you with the actual test? How is the MCAT prep structured? MCAT prep was not that helpful imo. It's based off TPR which will have set classes and homework (optional) assigned with it. The only thing I found useful from TPR was access to all AAMC MCAT prep material. Unless you don't have FAP for AAMC MCAT prep, I wouldn't take the course. What helped me most for retaking MCAT was doing well in MedSci classes and using my new test-taking strategies I gained.
9. Are you in medical school? How did this program prep you for that? Yes! currently at my #1 choice. MedSci definitely boosted my chances for entry for sure, but I would not say it was the determining factor. I strugged with imposter syndrome and low stats before MedSci, but after I saw I could handle the academic rigor, I showed the adcoms that I was more than capable despite my undergrap GPA. The material I learned from MedSci helped me for the first semester, everything else you will learn once you get in.
10. How are the advisors? The advisors were okay to good for the most part. It really depends who you're assigned to. I was fortunate to have the MedSci program director as my advisor. So I would lean on her to be able to write a LOR shes super helpful!
11. How are the classmates? Your cohort will differ from every year. Mine was SUPER collaborative since we all knew this was our 2nd chance at a shot for med/dental/PA/etc school. We had a Slack group created and shared resources so I hope y'alls will be helpful too!
12. What is the linkage rate from this program to medical school? Is it DO school heavy or MD heavy? Is it Texas heavy? From my observations I feel that school is more DO-linked, especially to VCOM. But I'm going to attach a pic from previous classes and where they went.
13. Overall would you say if the program is worth it for someone with low stats to medical school? I would say it is a good program for someone with low stats. It won't fill in the gaps if you are lacking other things in your application, but will do a great job if you take it seriously and do well.
14. What is the total amount of credits? contact the school for accurate total credits but here is what i found. It will vary depending if you opt-in for MCAT prep.
15. Is it feasible to commute for MedSci? I was in the f2f cohort and lived near campus so I personally found it better to be near. However, there were a few classmates that commuted from Frisco and made it work.

Lengthy response, but I hope this helps and if you got any more q's don't hesitate to reach out!
This is AMAZING information! Thank you for this great contribution!

Some of those students already have decent stats many with 510+ and 3.6+. Why do you think they go through an SMP when it would seem just reapplying would be the best deal? Do they lack in other areas to your knowledge? Have you seen any trends in the students outside of academics? IMO many of those students are solid pre-SMP.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Some of those students already have decent stats many with 510+ and 3.6+. Why do you think they go through an SMP when it would seem just reapplying would be the best deal? Do they lack in other areas to your knowledge? Have you seen any trends in the students outside of academics? IMO many of those students are solid pre-SMP.
i can't say why one applicant is accepted over another, but there are a couple of reasons they do an SMP. For example, some had MCAT that expired. other's had all pre-reqs fulfilled, applied, didn't get A's anywhere, then did SMP and got accepted. Really it could vary from person to person.

Unfortunately i haven't seen any trends outside of academics

Reactions: 1 user

Wow, this is so helpful! Do you feel like this program had any helpful opportunities to get more clinical hours or leadership opportunities?

Wow, this is so helpful! Do you feel like this program had any helpful opportunities to get more clinical hours or leadership opportunities?
I personally was not involved in either of this, but that was my personal goal to focus on classes. For my classmates that did, they went to nearby hospitals (JPS) or became curriculum reps for our cohort. Outside of that I am not too sure what else is available. I do know there are volunteering opportunities across FtW, but it'll ultimately be up to you to seek these out if you're missing that component

I know i’m a little late to the party, but do yall think it would still be worth it for me to apply or is it too late ?

Reactions: 1 users
Its definetly not too late! The 02/02 was just like a early deadline but the regular deadline is not until April I believe

I know i’m a little late to the party, but do yall think it would still be worth it for me to apply or is it too late ?
Hi! I did the Medsci f2f program 22-23 and I'm currently finishing a research project before starting medical school in the fall. I applied to the program in early April and was accepted! if you are interested in the program I would recommend applying!

Hi! I did the Medsci f2f program 22-23 and I'm currently finishing a research project before starting medical school in the fall. While there is no clinical practicum built into the program, there are plenty of opportunities to get clinical experience on campus. There is a shadowing list that some students use and as a student, you can join clubs and organizations that have clinical involvement. For example, there are several student-run clinics such as RHI and ROME that have regular clinical volunteer opportunities. There are also one-off events such as RAM and Cowtown Marathon where you can volunteer for medical roles if you need clinical experience. The same thing goes for leadership. As previously mentioned, you can become a curriculum rep, be an officer in the Medical Science Community Service Organization(MSCSO), there is a pre-dent organization you can have an officer role in, there will be student government positions for MedSci, you can be a student ambassador, and some of the medical school organizations will have officer role you can run for as well. As you can see the program has a lot of opportunities! If you find something is missing in your professional school application, there will most likely be an opportunity for you to improve it while you are in the program.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know if anyone mentioned this already but is there an interview process like med school apps or is it more similar to undergrad in that you just get accepted or rejected?

I don't know if anyone mentioned this already but is there an interview process like med school apps or is it more similar to undergrad in that you just get accepted or rejected?
No interview. It’s just like undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many people are in the cohort? And do most pre-meds who choose to apply during the program receive an interview invite from TCOM? Also, are the professors willing to write a rec letter if you’re planning to submit the primary during the summer?

How many people are in the cohort? And do most pre-meds who choose to apply during the program receive an interview invite from TCOM? Also, are the professors willing to write a rec letter if you’re planning to submit the primary during the summer?
The cohort seats about 140 students for f2f. I don't think that there is an actual statistic for those who do the program and those who get a TCOM interview. However, it does seem that people who do well in the program tend to get interviews, but there is no guarantee with the program. You still have to have a strong application. As far as professors writing a letter, there is only one summer class, biostatistics that would be a potential for a letter. There is also an option Biochem class which could be an option if you choose to take it, but it is pass/fail. Professors know that MedSci students will be seeking them out for letters of recommendation. If you plan on asking for a letter of rec from a summer professor, I would recommend talking to the professor when the class starts and seeing if it is an option. Most people who plan to apply to medical school while in the cohort have their application ready and complete before they start the program. However, the program encourages you to wait to submit until after orientation.

The cohort seats about 140 students for f2f. I don't think that there is an actual statistic for those who do the program and those who get a TCOM interview. However, it does seem that people who do well in the program tend to get interviews, but there is no guarantee with the program. You still have to have a strong application. As far as professors writing a letter, there is only one summer class, biostatistics that would be a potential for a letter. There is also an option Biochem class which could be an option if you choose to take it, but it is pass/fail. Professors know that MedSci students will be seeking them out for letters of recommendation. If you plan on asking for a letter of rec from a summer professor, I would recommend talking to the professor when the class starts and seeing if it is an option. Most people who plan to apply to medical school while in the cohort have their application ready and complete before they start the program. However, the program encourages you to wait to submit until after orientation.
But since UNT is applied to through TMDSAS wouldn't you have to submit it the same time as you submit other schools (early if that's the plan)? Or is it like AMCAS where you can add a school at a later time? I don't remember!

But since UNT is applied to through TMDSAS wouldn't you have to submit it the same time as you submit other schools (early if that's the plan)? Or is it like AMCAS where you can add a school at a later time? I don't remember!
Not sure I understand the question. Individuals who are going to apply while in the MedSci program typically have all their letters before starting the program. However, if you need a letter you can approach a professor in the summer for one. For TMDSAS you have to apply to all the schools you want when you submit your application. It is one fee for all TMDSAS schools so the majority of people apply to all the schools. Letters of recommendation do not have to be received before your application is submitted and processing begins, so the delay in receiving the letter doesn't delay the processing time. However, it will delay when schools report a complete application in your portal. With the extended processing time of TMDSAS and the time needed to do secondaries, it is possible that the letter doesn't delay anything. Hope that makes sense and answers your question!

OMG!!!! Got the A this morning! I'm so happy, it was my first choice

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Do you guys think the last essay question is optional? The question is “please include any information that you consider important in evaluating your application, e.g. obstacles, discrepancies..”. I feel like I’ve covered all my bases with my other essays as well as my personal statement. 🤷

Yes, it defintely optional but I do know during the info session they were saying to use that as an opportunity to explain an bumps or hiccups in your app that you felt needs to be explained. For example, cause I got a C in on of my classes senior year so I used it to explain why that happened, especially since they look strongly at your grades your junior and senior year and see if there are any drops or inconsistant grades.

But its really a personal judgement as to whether you feel like you need to write it, especially cause you don't want to be too redundant but also want to make sure you've told them everything they need to know to holistically evaluate your application. I always like to write every essay even if its optional, but thats just me.

Yes, it defintely optional but I do know during the info session they were saying to use that as an opportunity to explain an bumps or hiccups in your app that you felt needs to be explained. For example, cause I got a C in on of my classes senior year so I used it to explain why that happened, especially since they look strongly at your grades your junior and senior year and see if there are any drops or inconsistant grades.

But its really a personal judgement as to whether you feel like you need to write it, especially cause you don't want to be too redundant but also want to make sure you've told them everything they need to know to holistically evaluate your application. I always like to write every essay even if its optional, but thats just me.

I second this!

But its really a personal judgement as to whether you feel like you need to write it, especially cause you don't want to be too redundant but also want to make sure you've told them everything they need to know to holistically evaluate your application. I always like to write every essay even if it’s optional, but thats just me.
Okay thanks. I was just curious because the biggest dip in my grades happened during COVID due to classes going online. However, there’s already a section in the application for this.

Hi guys, wanted to get some opinions on possibly reusing my Letter of Recommendation packet from my medical school application for my application here? It's coming on to a year since I graduated and am not 100% confident in getting my previous letter writers to possibly rewrite them. Appreciate any advice.

Hi guys, wanted to get some opinions on possibly reusing my Letter of Recommendation packet from my medical school application for my application here? It's coming on to a year since I graduated and am not 100% confident in getting my previous letter writers to possibly rewrite them. Appreciate any advice.
I personally just asked for letters again. it was definitely uncomfortable to do but if they were willing the first time and they haven't completely forgotten you, then you can definitely ask again. About if using last med school cycle's letter packet, I would email admissions and see if that is allowed. I don't wanna steer you in the wrong direction on that.

I personally just asked for letters again. it was definitely uncomfortable to do but if they were willing the first time and they haven't completely forgotten you, then you can definitely ask again. About if using last med school cycle's letter packet, I would email admissions and see if that is allowed. I don't wanna steer you in the wrong direction on that.
Appreciate your thoughts! Will definitely email admissions for more info, as I plan to apply for the online MS.

Hello everyone, I recently got accepted into this program, and I am very excited about it. Has anyone started looking for apartments or know of apartments that are close to the school.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how many seats are filled as of right now? I know I'm super late but I'm submitting my application soon and was wondering if there were still seats available.
Congrats to everyone who got acceptances!!

Accepted today. This will be a great alternative If I don’t get off my med school wait lists :)

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how many seats are filled as of right now? I know I'm super late but I'm submitting my application soon and was wondering if there were still seats available.
I'm not entirely sure. I am in their Facebook group for those who will be matriculating into the program and there are 24 members but I am not sure if that is entirely reflective of the current seats filled. I have heard of people getting in as late as April so go ahead and just apply!

Hi current MedSci student! I submitted my application for the program in early April, when I applied. Good luck!

How difficult would it be to hold an MA or PCT job while pursuing the masters?

For the Online MedSci it’s possible, but definitely still difficult with the demand for studying.

For in-person it is highly discouraged. While most classes are not required exam days vary in summer, fall and spring. I would say it’s near impossible especially for the spring because of anatomy labs. Is 2-3 days per week and your time varies. So unless your job is EXTREMELY flexible it not really possible.

I personally did the face-to-face and though it was stressful not having the income that I was used to, it’s what was best for me. I looked at the program as a practice run for medical school and I wouldn’t be working at that time either. Plus the majority or people in this program need a “GPA repair” and working can negatively impact that goal. Remember SMPs are high risk high reward, not doing well is very hard to recover from.

Some people in my cohort did shift work in the hospital as Scribes, but I think most quit during the spring. Anatomy and physiology are very demanding.

Reactions: 3 users
For the Online MedSci it’s possible, but definitely still difficult with the demand for studying.

For in-person it is highly discouraged. While most classes are not required exam days vary in summer, fall and spring. I would say it’s near impossible especially for the spring because of anatomy labs. Is 2-3 days per week and your time varies. So unless your job is EXTREMELY flexible it not really possible.

I personally did the face-to-face and though it was stressful not having the income that I was used to, it’s what was best for me. I looked at the program as a practice run for medical school and I wouldn’t be working at that time either. Plus the majority or people in this program need a “GPA repair” and working can negatively impact that goal. Remember SMPs are high risk high reward, not doing well is very hard to recover from.

Some people in my cohort did shift work in the hospital as Scribes, but I think most quit during the spring. Anatomy and physiology are very demanding.
Ah that makes sense, thank you for the info. Are there opportunities for any sort of employment that is part time, such as tutoring? Also, do students join groups to volunteer anywhere (nonclinical)?

Ah that makes sense, thank you for the info. Are there opportunities for any sort of employment that is part time, such as tutoring? Also, do students join groups to volunteer anywhere (nonclinical)?
Not to my knowledge. Tutoring position are for students that have taken the classes offered on campus already. Occasionally there will be a lab or research group looking for research assistants but there aren’t many. During orientation admin will have a talk with you about working during the program, again with the in-person cohort it is highly discouraged.

There is a ton of volunteering available through organizations. There will be a few organizations dedicated to MedSci students but you will also be able to join the medical school organizations as well. Within all the organizations you will have the opportunity to have leadership roles as well.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure. I am in their Facebook group for those who will be matriculating into the program and there are 24 members but I am not sure if that is entirely reflective of the current seats filled. I have heard of people getting in as late as April so go ahead and just apply!
Thank you! I’m definitely applying and submitting here pretty soon.

Yes I would add that there are a couple people who have maintained employment throughout the program. However, the very few students that are doing this were already incredibly strong academically. Like 4.0, 512+ stats. They are in med sci to prob bc they love school but they mostly are bulking up their apps with work and volunteering. This isn't most of us, and I would highly recommend using the year to really hone your academic abilities. Doing well in med sci is probably the single best thing you can do to erase doubt in adcoms minds that you could be successful in their programs.

So my application has been verified. Does anyone know if adcom calculates the gpa themselves or if they just look at what postbaccas has calculated? My gpa just appears to be different than the gpa that was calculated on Mappd.com so now I’m worried. I’m hoping they take a look at my entire application and view it holistically as opposed to just my stats!! Super nervous.

So my application has been verified. Does anyone know if adcom calculates the gpa themselves or if they just look at what postbaccas has calculated? My gpa just appears to be different than the gpa that was calculated on Mappd.com so now I’m worried. I’m hoping they take a look at my entire application and view it holistically as opposed to just my stats!! Super nervous.
TMDSAS includes all undergrad grades in the calculation, and ignores the pluses and minuses. So a B-, a B, or a B+ would all be assigned a value of 3.
Graduate school grades, if any, are calculated separately but still considered.

Random question to those who have completed the program or are current students. Is there a dress code? For example, UIW has a dress code (business causal or scrubs only). I just want to make sure I can plan accordingly.

TMDSAS includes all undergrad grades in the calculation, and ignores the pluses and minuses. So a B-, a B, or a B+ would all be assigned a value of 3.
Graduate school grades, if any, are calculated separately but still considered.
On Mappd.com, they calculate our gpa for each of the three types of applications but for some reason my gpa that postbaccas calculated for this masters program is lower so I’m just confused.

On Mappd.com, they calculate our gpa for each of the three types of applications but for some reason my gpa that postbaccas calculated for this masters program is lower so I’m just confused.
I have no idea what a postbaccas is.
It sounds like you are using some online or AI calculators to do your GPA.
Or if you are paying an advisor on Mappd, get your $$ worth and ask them these questions!

I have no idea what a postbaccas is.
It sounds like you are using some online or AI calculators to do your GPA.
Or if you are paying an advisor on Mappd, get your $$ worth and ask them these questions!
PostBacCAS is the application service we use to apply to this masters program! Sorry I should have clarified. I will check with them, thank you!