UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

universalson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy, everyone!

I'm a current MedSci student and wanted to get an early start on this post for potential applicants to ask questions.
Please let me know if there are any questions you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Do you know if there's a screen? sub 3 GPA but a 510+ MCAT have a chance of getting in (vice versa)?

Have they shared any data with you about last year's class or about admittance in general?

How is the year/classes going for you and your classmates?

I'm interested in applying to this program. Actually an aspiring PA student. I emailed the department and was told I wouldn't have to take MCAT, GRE would be accepted. Wondering if not taking the MCAT would decrease my chances at getting accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

I'm also a current MedSci student, thought I could try and answer a few questions.

@Prof_cinephile I don't believe there is a specific screen for GPA or MCAT. I've met a few students who have between a 2.8-3.0, but they typically have a 508+ MCAT. People here have a variety of gpa/mcat combinations, but the program is best suited for remediating a low gpa/high mcat situation. A 510+ gives you a good shot at getting accepted here from what I've seen, although they have not given us any specific admission statistics for the program itself.

How the program is going: I'm finding getting A's in this program to be pretty manageable, although a lot of people are struggling quite a bit. I'd say courses are on the same level, or easier, than their undergrad equivalents, but the material comes MUCH faster. The program is restructuring the curriculum a bit right now due to changes in faculty & changes in their cheating-prevention tactics. This has created some pretty frustrating problems: poor course organization, lots of extra time-wasting assignments that first-year med students here don't even deal with, exams with a significant amount of incorrect questions/answers (which, to make things worse, we are no longer allowed to review or discuss after taking them), and so on. These things don't really make the program impossible or affect its value overall, but they are a serious annoyance you should be aware of going in.

We've been having a pretty busy couple of weeks here, so I'm sure some others will chime in with more details in the coming week or two.

Reactions: 1 users
@icedmocha_813 We actually don't have any pre-PA students this year, as far as I'm aware. I don't think the GRE will hurt your chances at all. They really select students based on if they think they can help you get into the professional school you are interested in.

They've accepted pre-vet and pre-PA students using the GRE fairly frequently in the past.

Reactions: 1 user
This will be my first post and thought this couldn't have been a better place to leave it. I've been a lurker for a while and more than likely applying to the 2021-2022 cohort. I will be following this very closely and rooting for you all. Good luck, to everyone! Thanks @universalson for starting thread. I have read many times over the threads from years prior.

Reactions: 2 users
Another current MedSci student here! I remember having lots of questions about the program so feel free to join in the discussion or send me a pm.

How big is your class size and how many people (would you estimate) got interviews from the program.

Another current MedSci student here! I remember having lots of questions about the program so feel free to join in the discussion or send me a pm.
I figured I would take this chance to ask some more creative and open-ended questions..!

-If you had to give the "bullet points", what would you list as the most important parts to being competitive and getting into the program after having been admitted and having the chance to hear from faculty and see what others have successfully done to get in?
-What is the most difficult part about the program? Something that required the greatest adjustment, was the biggest surprise, etc.?
-In hindsight, if you could go back and change something about your application to make yourself more competitive, what would it be?
-What do you like most about being in the program?
-...and least?
-I have read of some med schools where the atmosphere among students comes off as disjointed and overly competitive. What have you observed the overall attitude of the student body to be?

I figured I would take this chance to ask some more creative and open-ended questions..!

1. If you had to give the "bullet points", what would you list as the most important parts to being competitive and getting into the program after having been admitted and having the chance to hear from faculty and see what others have successfully done to get in?
2. What is the most difficult part about the program? Something that required the greatest adjustment, was the biggest surprise, etc.?
3. In hindsight, if you could go back and change something about your application to make yourself more competitive, what would it be?
4. What do you like most about being in the program?
5. ...and least?
6. I have read of some med schools where the atmosphere among students comes off as disjointed and overly competitive. What have you observed the overall attitude of the student body to be?

Hi, I am also a current MedSci (wow there's a lot of us here lol). I know this was directed at the other poster but I can help answer too.
1. As far as being competitive for the program, I feel its probably mostly based on stats so they know you can do well in the program and gain a medical school acceptance. I know people who have very high GPA but their MCAT was lower (and probably didn't even need to do the program). The majority of the program is probably mostly lower GPAs with decent MCATs. Not sure though because they do not tell us our class stats. So as long as you have one or the other, I think you'll be okay for getting into MedSci. Also you should have normal med school app ECs: volunteering, shadowing, etc.
2. Most difficult part of the program is probably just making sure you don't fall behind in the material. We have a test just about every week so you just have to make sure you are keeping up but its totally manageable.
3. There's not really anything I would change about my MedSci app. Although, there are essays on the application that ask why you want to do the program.
4. The thing I like most is getting exposure to topics which I think will help in the first year of medical school.
5. The thing I like least about the program is probably the Epidemiology course. This year it got moved to be a completely online course. I find the work to be just busy work to keep us occupied. Plus, there are group assignments every single week. Its not difficult but its not interesting.
6. I think the attitude is okay and not competitive. It seems like there are some pretty big friend groups going on. I am not totally sure though maybe one of the other MedSci's can chime in. I am one of those people who don't go to class and just listen to the recordings lol.

I'm going to take a chance and apply to this program, because I don't think my application for PA school is strong enough yet. Can someone take a look at my stats and give me their feedback and/or advice for this upcoming cycle at UNT Med Sci?
last 60 hours GPA: 3.35
cGPA: 3.0
prereq courses GPA: 3.69
GRE: 297
Haven't taken MCAT, but plan to in January.
I also have very good LRs, ECs, HCE, and PCE.
Side note: I'm a minority and was a single mom for 3 years of my undergrad and post bacc classes, so I've had it pretty difficult economically. For those of you in the program, what does the class schedule look like? Any parents?

Last edited:
I made an account just to post here. I’m applying, already got everything ready to submit!

I'm going to take a chance and apply to this program, because I don't think my application for PA school is strong enough yet. Can someone take a look at my stats and give me their feedback and/or advice for this upcoming cycle at UNT Med Sci?
Side note: I'm a minority and was a single mom for 3 years of my undergrad and post bacc classes, so I've had it pretty difficult economically. For those of you in the program, what does the class schedule look like? Any parents?

I can't say too much about your chances, as I don't know how this program considers pre-PA students. But, I can say we do have a handful of parents in our class (and I've meet a few former students who successfully completed the program as parents)! The schedule is usually morning or morning + afternoon lectures (the latest we finish is typically 3pm). Attendance to lectures is not mandatory - we get copies of the slides and most lectures are recorded and posted online. The main course of the summer semester is entirely online, and we seem to have at least one online course each semester.

The only times you absolutely have to be on campus are for "team-based learning" activities and exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am also a current MedSci (wow there's a lot of us here lol). I know this was directed at the other poster but I can help answer too.
1. As far as being competitive for the program, I feel its probably mostly based on stats so they know you can do well in the program and gain a medical school acceptance. I know people who have very high GPA but their MCAT was lower (and probably didn't even need to do the program). The majority of the program is probably mostly lower GPAs with decent MCATs. Not sure though because they do not tell us our class stats. So as long as you have one or the other, I think you'll be okay for getting into MedSci. Also you should have normal med school app ECs: volunteering, shadowing, etc.
2. Most difficult part of the program is probably just making sure you don't fall behind in the material. We have a test just about every week so you just have to make sure you are keeping up but its totally manageable.
3. There's not really anything I would change about my MedSci app. Although, there are essays on the application that ask why you want to do the program.
4. The thing I like most is getting exposure to topics which I think will help in the first year of medical school.
5. The thing I like least about the program is probably the Epidemiology course. This year it got moved to be a completely online course. I find the work to be just busy work to keep us occupied. Plus, there are group assignments every single week. Its not difficult but its not interesting.
6. I think the attitude is okay and not competitive. It seems like there are some pretty big friend groups going on. I am not totally sure though maybe one of the other MedSci's can chime in. I am one of those people who don't go to class and just listen to the recordings lol.

Thanks for the info! Stuff like this helps a lot!! I see that you're a current MedSci and "c/o 2024"... did you already get accepted to a medical school?

Do you mind sharing your stats when you entered the MedSci program???

Thanks for the info! Stuff like this helps a lot!! I see that you're a current MedSci and "c/o 2024"... did you already get accepted to a medical school?

Do you mind sharing your stats when you entered the MedSci program???

Yes, I'll PM you.

Same, I am a current med sci. I agree with what DNO said, especially number 5 LOL. Overall, it's an amazing program though and will be excellent preparation for med school. It is extremely difficult, but completely doable. Like almost any program, it has its difficulties, but when it comes to quality of post bacc programs I'd say this one is top notch.

How big is your class size and how many people (would you estimate) got interviews from the program.
Class size is 230 ish. ... I'd say a good portion of people that applied this cycle (appx half applied maybe) are receiving interviews (to a ton of DO schools), although some have gotten II's in Texas, but it 'seems' as though a lot of TMDSAS schools want to wait to see Fall grades first (if not wait till we finish the entire program to see our performance). IDK someone else can correct me if this is wrong, but this has been my observation.

I just saw that you're pre-PA but planning to take the MCAT? If the office told you that the GRE was fine, I would stick with that. The MCAT is a beast of a test and will be a total waste of time and money for you. I seriously wouldn't recommend taking it. Do well on your GRE. The admissions people won't lead you astray and it definitely won't hurt your chances for getting in, especially since you're not pre-med.

I am also a current med sci! I wanted to encourage everyone who needs a GPA boost to apply to this program. It is very doable to make A's if you put in the study time. Also, when I applied here I had a low GPA & low MCAT, but I was still accepted. I really do believe that they take a holistic approach when reviewing applicants for this program. So just tell your story and iterate your determination to do well in the application, and I bet you have a good shot. Good luck!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
I am also a current med sci! I wanted to encourage everyone who needs a GPA boost to apply to this program. It is very doable to make A's if you put in the study time. Also, when I applied here I had a low GPA & low MCAT, but I was still accepted. I really do believe that they take a holistic approach when reviewing applicants for this program. So just tell your story and iterate your determination to do well in the application, and I bet you have a good shot. Good luck!!!!
Thanks for the info, and welcome! When you say "low GPA & low MCAT", how do you mean? There is a LOT of variability around here when people say "low." I have seen people complaining about falling below a 3.8.. wish I had that problem!

Thanks for the info, and welcome! When you say "low GPA & low MCAT", how do you mean? There is a LOT of variability around here when people say "low." I have seen people complaining about falling below a 3.8.. wish I had that problem!

My undergrad GPA is a 3.20 & my MCAT was a 501. A former med sci and current TCOM student encouraged me to apply, and I wouldn't have otherwise. I want to extend the same encouragement to you all. :)

Wondering if there's a site I can reference in calculating my science GPA? I'm a non trad, so I have some science courses that I'm not sure would factor into it.

What are some jobs that students have gotten after completing the MedSci program? I'm planning to apply after finishing the program, so that schools (PA) will be able to look at my performance. I would need to be working to pay off student loans until I get an acceptance.

If your scores are on the lower side APPLY EARLY. From my understanding, the bulk of their applications come in around February when people don't get accepted and scramble to apply to post-baccs. App opens November; I submitted December 22nd and found out in the first wave (around the end of February). I applied with a 506 MCAT and a 3.6 cGPA; 3.25 sGPA.

How long should our responses be to the supplemental questions?

If you plan on applying to med schools during the program, does unthsc send your grades over to your tmdsas schools for you every semester? If not, how are we supposed to let med schools we are applying to know how we are doing in the program?
You would submit new grades through the individual application service each semester (new transcripts) TMDSAS, AACOMAS, AMCAS. Just like you would for undergrad. No the school does not automatically send them for you.

copying pasting again cuz i posted in the old thread.

Howdy, another current Med sci here.

To everyone frustrated and anxious rn, its going to be ok. That being said, please dont only apply to 3- 4 postbacs. I personally applied to 10, and (being entirely truthful) I was admitted to all of them. I chose UNTHSC after talking to previous students, it really is a well established program. You dont want to rely on just 1-3 schools to give you a post bac acceptance, bc if you run the risk of not getting accepted… what are you going to do for an entire year???? Ofc, I completely get if that is not financially possible- but think hard about the consequences of only applying to a few and then not getting accepted, you may need to shell out even more in the future then. Here are my stats: 500 hours volunteering, 3.734 GPA, and 509 MCAT, 3 leadership positions. My friends in this program have as low as 3.2 GPA, and there are indeed some with 497 MCAT as well! So dont worry. I would say the people that need to be really careful are those that have a double whammy (aka low mcat and low gpa). Most have a really low gpa, with a strong mcat OR vice versa. My scores are pretty competitive, I just didnt apply correctly. But I am not lying to you when I am saying there are tons of students in here with lower scores than mine in gpa and mcat. Warning: be prepared to work your ass off in the summer if the MCAT is your weak point. I personally not a fan of the princeton course, but some professors are good (biology, CARS, etc). Your already paying money for it and if your below 508 you’ll be placed in there so might as well learn everything you can. Biostats and Epidemiology are the most frustrating courses. But i wouldn’t change attending here. Most of the time I study at the library and only go to my apartment to sleep. Im so glad i finally got the mcat out of the way. Fall wise its not hard material, but there is a lot of it, but just remember med school is going to be harder so you just need to stick it out. Btw unthsc library is amazing and the scenic views are to die for.

You’ll have access to housing lists, talk to previous med sci students, and the “bible” which is a compilation of resources past med sci have used to study for tests once added to the facebook group post acceptance. Best thing to do before entering this program is figuring out housing, and cultivating good stress/anxiety techniques early on. you'll need it. This program is doable- it is not overtly challenging but it will push you. This is not undergrad anymore. They'll be days your stressed out and sick of studying. But that is exactly whats going to happen in med school so this is your chance to prove you belong there. keep a positive mindset, surround yourself with positive students. Stay away from naysayers and people who put others down, and try not to get too drunk over the weekends. I love fort worth! its really nice here, and pretty.

I will say tho, there are a fair amount of us that low-key miss the first class rep but she got accepted into med school (luckyyyyy) during the summer and is probably killing it there as well. There were a couple others that got accepted during the summer, that will happen. The current one is doing a decent job, but the previous one was insanely on top of things and I feel like organization wise things would have been better if she was still here, and she cared a lot about her classmates. But thats just my opinion Im low-key her fan. But the point is make sure whoever you’re electing cares about the student body and does a really good job advocating + good at organizing/staying on top of ****. Both of ours have done well so far.

beware of this : people have been deleting **** from the bible, which is causing a headache, so dont be that person and do that. Its annoying and no one likes you if you get caught.

We have two former med sci that are attending TCOM that do a great job of hosting review sessions and creating practice tests. They are also absolutely incredible. (girl power)! I agree with all the complaints my med sci classmates have already stated on here. Epi is such a nuisance to deal with, so beware.

What I like most about the program is the supportive atmosphere. That being said there are a few obnoxious people (but they people like that everywhere) so be smart about who you spend your time with. There are indeed some big friend groups going on, and not everyone gets along. Do yourself a favor and exit out of these groups when drama goes down. You dont need that right now, and stay away from overly boastful people. aka Mr. and Mrs “i got a perfect cars score etc etc”.

Definitely stop paying attention to people who keep saying they have high mcat and gpa, it just stresses you out. They are on their own path, and you are on yours. People have subpar scores here, that is a reality. Work on yourself.

When your applying, aside from your stats, REALLY spend time on your essays and let your passion/reason why you want to attend UNTHSC med sci shine through. MD schools want proof you can handle the curriculum, and frankly if your goal is only MD your better off waiting until your done with the program (at least according to past med sci’s). Now thats not to say you won’t have any luck with MD if you apply the cycle of enrolling, but you’ll have to play the waiting game and really do well first semester. I will be waiting until the program is finished so ill apply the next cycle.

I take a day off to relax, in order to prevent burnout. Fort worth is a fun place to be, but the highways are annoying. There are a few out of state students as well.

I also agree with whoever said they take a holistic approach to accepting! it is true. I wouldn’t change my decision to come here :)

ok back to studying, hope this helps! sorry for the rambling-im really caffeinated :p

ADD ON: wait i just thought of a few advice. For those of you who are planning on applying this year. You HAVE to re-write your essays if you are a re-applicant (i know it sucks). Dont shoot yourself in the foot and submit the exact application. Re-phrasing and moving a few paragraphs isn't gonna help either. Because this will be annoying and takes a **** ton of time, start thinking about this NOW. Also prepare for the interview now (focus on ethical questions, they screw most people over due to not being prepared), invest in some really good business/business casual attire (you'll need it), and minimize volunteering/leadership (if you are not heavily lacking in this area). Priority: MCAT, then GPA, then clinical experience, then leadership, then everything else. Try not to freak about when you'll get your acceptance, it really doesn't mean anything when others get it and some dont. Call the office once in a while to see if you have everything submitted (not like every week- maybe once a month). Ok cool im done

I just saw that you're pre-PA but planning to take the MCAT? If the office told you that the GRE was fine, I would stick with that. The MCAT is a beast of a test and will be a total waste of time and money for you. I seriously wouldn't recommend taking it. Do well on your GRE. The admissions people won't lead you astray and it definitely won't hurt your chances for getting in, especially since you're not pre-med.

I think the Med Sci program is not accepting GRE scores this year? I just saw this in the FAQs (MS Medical Science (1-year) FAQ - Admissions - Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences).

1575340543595.png

I have applied this cycle for the program and when they sent me the email to see my account it takes me to my EIS and only shows my application to TCOM (my app to the D.O. School). Is this happening to anyone else?

I have applied this cycle for the program and when they sent me the email to see my account it takes me to my EIS and only shows my application to TCOM (my app to the D.O. School). Is this happening to anyone else?

Mine is also still not showing up in the application section yet. I believe I read in the FAQ that it’s because it’s currently in a holding server, and they need to manually “push” the application through.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Mine is also still not showing up in the application section yet. I believe I read in the FAQ that it’s because it’s currently in a holding server, and they need to manually “push” the application through.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Glad it is not only me! May I ask when you submitted everything? How long have you been waiting?

I think the Med Sci program is not accepting GRE scores this year? I just saw this in the FAQs (MS Medical Science (1-year) FAQ - Admissions - Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences).

View attachment 288139

This seems odd... I would contact them if so because my understanding is you specify your area of interest (Medicine, PA, Dentistry) and then submit the appropriate test only (Med - MCAT .... PA - GRE... Dentistry - DAT) I THINK it's saying if you are doing medicine you can't submit GRE.

@anonmeds both are good established programs that have been around here for a while! Now if you are talking specifically texas schools- it would be advantageous to choose med sci over BU. Reason is the medical schools participating in the Texas App (TMDSAS) widely know and recognize students coming from Med Sci. There is a special section on TMDSAS to indicate med sci as well. that would be my thoughts on this. Ultimately the decision is yours- feel free to call both and ask them questions!

If i submit in December and my letters submit in January, will I still get reviewed by adcom for first round?

If i submit in December and my letters submit in January, will I still get reviewed by adcom for first round?

I don’t think anyone will be able to tell you which round because it depends on the how many people submit and when they submitted. I believe the date submitted also depends on when all materials were received.

Hello everyone. To the current MedSci students I wanted to ask if it's better to apply to medical school during the program or wait until it's done? My application isn't too strong in terms of GPA (~2.8 sGPA and 3.5 cGPA) (and will be taking MCAT in Jan, but most likely will have to retake) so I'm not sure if it's best for me to apply right away. Also, if I wait I can get many more clinical volunteer hours (as hospice volunteer) because right now I barely have 50, by the end of May I should have around 50-60, but if I were to apply after MedSci I would definitely have 100 or more. I have good research experience and a lot of other great volunteering experience and leadership positions. So, what do you yall think? What is the path most students succeed in or does it just vary? Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone. To the current MedSci students I wanted to ask if it's better to apply to medical school during the program or wait until it's done? My application isn't too strong in terms of GPA (~2.8 sGPA and 3.5 cGPA) (and will be taking MCAT in Jan, but most likely will have to retake) so I'm not sure if it's best for me to apply right away. Also, if I wait I can get many more clinical volunteer hours (as hospice volunteer) because right now I barely have 50, by the end of May I should have around 50-60, but if I were to apply after MedSci I would definitely have 100 or more. I have good research experience and a lot of other great volunteering experience and leadership positions. So, what do you yall think? What is the path most students succeed in or does it just vary? Thanks in advance!
Opinions are fairly split on this here, but I think if you have a low GPA it is better to skip a cycle and apply after the SMP is finished with a full year of good grades to add to your application - that's what I'm doing, and I haven't regretted it so far. It definitely makes the year less stressful and gives you more room to focus on studying, volunteering, and getting your application ready for the next cycle.

Some people will say it is better to apply during the program, because you might get special consideration from medical schools as grades start to come out, but I don't get the sense that this really happens anywhere outside of TCOM.

Hey y'all. Currently submitted my app last week. I have a question about sending transcripts. I don't see any information online. How do we submit transcripts? I went to my undergrad school's portal and UNTHSC pops up but it shows undergraduate institution and only method of delivery is paper copy. Is this correct?

Anyone know when they start sending out notices for acceptances, denials and waitlists?

Anyone know when they start sending out notices for acceptances, denials and waitlists?
Last year they started sending out acceptances in late February. They seem to send acceptances/rejections in batches every other week or so.

Is anyone's application status "Incomplete", but there is nothing on the "To-Do list". Mine hasn't changed into reviewed or anything else. Submitted 1/3/2020

Is anyone's application status "Incomplete", but there is nothing on the "To-Do list". Mine hasn't changed into reviewed or anything else. Submitted 1/3/2020

My application was marked as complete once LOR and transcripts were submitted. If you’re sure that you’ve submitted everything and it’s still marked as Incomplete, then I would call or email the admissions office.

Hey y'all. Currently submitted my app last week. I have a question about sending transcripts. I don't see any information online. How do we submit transcripts? I went to my undergrad school's portal and UNTHSC pops up but it shows undergraduate institution and only method of delivery is paper copy. Is this correct?

I believe this depends on the school. At my undergraduate university, they had an online portal to submit transcripts. I was able to select UNTHSC and they were sent electronically. However, the community college I attended for dual credit required a paper request before they mailed my transcript. I would contact your institutions’ registrars office to see what their protocol is.

Hi All, having trouble with the essays. Does each essay have to be 750-800 words?

My application was marked as complete once LOR and transcripts were submitted. If you’re sure that you’ve submitted everything and it’s still marked as Incomplete, then I would call or email the admissions office.

I've called multiple times about it and the lady that picks up the call keeps saying my application is complete and I have everything on file. However, my status on the My HSC portal still says "Incomplete". I've called 5 times checking in on the issue. And gotten the same answer everytime.

Hi, I am interested in this program. I am wondering who should write my recommendation letters? I was thinking my research mentor PI and a science professor from undergrad? Do you think this is good enough?

Hi, I am interested in this program. I am wondering who should write my recommendation letters? I was thinking my research mentor PI and a science professor from undergrad? Do you think this is good enough?
I used that same combo last year - it should be good enough :)

I've called multiple times about it and the lady that picks up the call keeps saying my application is complete and I have everything on file. However, my status on the My HSC portal still says "Incomplete". I've called 5 times checking in on the issue. And gotten the same answer every time.
Update: Emailed them one more time. And they finally changed my status to "complete". After two emails and 5 phone calls.
I had my research PI, who also was my biochemistry lab instructor write me my letter. And I think the science professor is good for sure. I also have letters from doctors who I am currently working with.

Reactions: 3 users