UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm applying next cycle, but I was wondering about their early decision program. If you apply early and don't meet the standards for early admission, will they flat out reject you, or put you in general admissions pile? Basically I want to know if one is taking an unnecessary risk by doing the early decision program.

Members don't see this ad.

Youll only be able to apply to them at the time being. They're supposed to get back to you by august. If you get rejected, you send your app to the other schools and them on the regular basis. This is risky as it is late in the process.

Got a call this morning with an interview invite!! Mine is Thursday 07/28.

Members don't see this ad :)
My application was transmitted to TX schools on 06/07. I received TCOM's "primary app. notification" email last Friday (06/24).

May I ask what your stats are?

4.0 sGPA/cGPA, 31R MCAT. I'm just glad for the opportunity! Got to tour the school a little over a year ago and really liked it, hoping to see even more on interview day.

anyone have any idea of how often this school interviews?

its looking like twice a week.

does TCOM notify you that they received your primary application if you already have an unt account?

Ha i was asking this earlier and the answer is no. If you have a portal page already just keep checking it, and the application section

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying next cycle, but I was wondering about their early decision program. If you apply early and don't meet the standards for early admission, will they flat out reject you, or put you in general admissions pile? Basically I want to know if one is taking an unnecessary risk by doing the early decision program.

Eric, last year I thought about applying via the early decision program. My rational was that it would show that I was committed to the osteopathic philosophy and TCOM etc etc. I decided to not apply ED and I am glad. I still got in and it left the door open to all the other MD schools in tmdsas. If you want PM me your stats and activities and Ill give you an honest opinion. But if you dont exceed the standards set up on the website for ED I would prob advise against it.

4.0 sGPA/cGPA, 31R MCAT. I'm just glad for the opportunity! Got to tour the school a little over a year ago and really liked it, hoping to see even more on interview day.

Good stats bud. If you enjoyed the tour from over a year ago you're really going to love the tour with all its new facility upgrades.

Ha i was asking this earlier and the answer is no. If you have a portal page already just keep checking it, and the application section

thanks! i feel stupid for asking the same question! I keep up with all the tmdsas threads too. :p

yea i was people about it in the TMDSAS.

Counting down the days. I loved loved loved TCOM when i spent a summer there. All the profs seemed super awesome.

Good stats bud. If you enjoyed the tour from over a year ago you're really going to love the tour with all its new facility upgrades.

What all facility upgrades have taken place? All I've been able to find so far is the new lecture hall. I remember being really impressed with their anatomy lab when we went, but like I said, it was awhile back! Thanks for all of the info. too!

any OOS w/ interviews yet? (stats please) :)

Interview invite for 8/2. Sweet!!!
congrats!

I cant believe its july already!

^Check last years thread to see some info on OOS. that might help to see how oos did

Just got the call this morning. Interview invite for 8/2!

Just got the call this morning. Interview invite for 8/2!

Congrats! If you don't mind, how long after you submitted your secondary app did they contact you? I'm shadowing a D.O. this week so I was planning on submitting after I can confirm that he will write me a letter.

Congrats! If you don't mind, how long after you submitted your secondary app did they contact you? I'm shadowing a D.O. this week so I was planning on submitting after I can confirm that he will write me a letter.

I submitted my secondary about three weeks ago and my DO letter was sent in about two weeks ago. But my entire application just got completed at TCOM at the end of last week because they had not downloaded my primary yet. So the turnaround between them having my whole application and the interview invite was only 2-3 days. Very quick!

I submitted my TMDSAS 6-20-11 and I am not verified yet. I completed my Secondary to TCOM last week. I got an invite to there recruitment weekend. Is this a mass mailing? Did anyone else get this email? It's probably nothing to get excited about as this is free to everyone but I am a OOS applicant. I am sure you guys have long been verified but It took me a little longer to submit.

Edit:
I just read the flier, it's for URM students. I would love the chance to meet people in person and it could help my cause. Any ideas as to whether I should go?

Last edited:
I submitted my TMDSAS 6-20-11 and I am not verified yet. I completed my Secondary to TCOM last week. I got an invite to there recruitment weekend. Is this a mass mailing? Did anyone else get this email? It's probably nothing to get excited about as this is free to everyone but I am a OOS applicant. I am sure you guys have long been verified but It took me a little longer to submit.

Edit:
I just read the flier, it's for URM students. I would love the chance to meet people in person and it could help my cause. Any ideas as to whether I should go?

Go. Never a bad idea. Its nice to experience it not the day of an interview

I got that email too. Nothing to be excited about I guess.

Yeah I got the invite as well. I think I may go just to check it out. I'm in state though.

I've decided that i'm going, See you there :D

Got an interview invite by phone this morning! Thursday, August 4th

Interview invite for 8/2. Sweet!!!

just got a call this morning with an interview for 8/2 as well! I'm pretty surprised as I only sent in the secondary less than a week ago! :D

Never got an email. Like another poster, I used to work/go to UNT so looked up my old ID and Password and it was there. My app is complete as of 7-8

I think it's interesting how I got an email for "recruitment weekend" but no interview invite yet. Hmm...

Never got an email. Like another poster, I used to work/go to UNT so looked up my old ID and Password and it was there. My app is complete as of 7-8

You're talking about me :laugh:

I got a call this morning, interview invite july 26th......Yeeeeehaaaa! My first 1! I'm excited to see what TCOM has to offer.

I got a call this morning, interview invite july 26th......Yeeeeehaaaa! My first 1! I'm excited to see what TCOM has to offer.

Yay! me too! except I'm a nugget and wasn't there to answer call and haven't set a date yet :( But yay first one!!

Congrats you two. Guess ill see you there in two weeks.

TCOM is a great great great school

Yay! me too! except I'm a nugget and wasn't there to answer call and haven't set a date yet :( But yay first one!!

I got the call this afternoon, but also was unable to answer to set a date. Yeah!! First invite!!

Congrats!

Set date 8/4!-

anyone read the worst interview thread OMG I laughed so much I cried!

I got the call today to set up my interview for 8/4 also! So stoked for my first interview (hopefully of many lol)!!

Congrats!

Set date 8/4!-

anyone read the worst interview thread OMG I laughed so much I cried!

I interview 8/4 as well! See ya'll there! Where is a good hotel to stay at in Fort Worth near the med school?

I interview 8/4 as well! See ya'll there! Where is a good hotel to stay at in Fort Worth near the med school?

Yay! I'm not sure yet where we're staying, I'll be taking the family... thinks there's a lot of cowboy stuff to there so will stay a day or two. We should so do the spy thing and wear a white rose or something to say we're SDN (yes geek I know) :p

Yay! I'm not sure yet where we're staying, I'll be taking the family... thinks there's a lot of cowboy stuff to there so will stay a day or two. We should so do the spy thing and wear a white rose or something to say we're SDN (yes geek I know) :p

Family as in kids? The stockyards are kinda fun and might be worth checking out, and the zoo is incredible! Lots to do for families, you should have a great time! Are you coming in from OOS? I'm about 5 hours down the road in San Antonio, can't wait to make the trip!

I got an email from my advisor about a month ago about the recruitment weekend, I don't think it's related in any way to the interview process. From what I understand it's just a generic weekend for anyone interested in the school.

Piano major huh? My undergrad degree is in voice, music education specifically. Did you do a post-bacc program to get your prerequesites or did you do them on your own? Hope you get an interview invite soon!

I think it's interesting how I got an email for "recruitment weekend" but no interview invite yet. Hmm...