Unusual applicant looking for advice/suggestions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zguy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I feel a tad anxious posting here (lurker for years!), but now that I am done with school I can really get to work on setting myself up to apply. I committed to a second professional degree to raise my gpa and gain better employment opportunities. It all turned out quite well, so I am hoping for the best. I have seen a few threads with applicants possessing medical lab science backgrounds, but I felt like getting some more personalized guidance. I am and will be working evening shifts full time for the foreseeable future, while studying for the MCAT during the day. I would likely take it next spring. I just want to see how everything else looks overall and what kind of MCAT you all would see as being competitive for me. Also, let me know if there is anything else that might need some work. Here goes nothing!

Year in school: I graduated this year with a second bachelor's degree in clinical laboratory science. My first degree was in microbiology.

Country/state of residence: USA/Kansas

Schools to which you are applying: I am just starting to build a school list. So far I have KUMC (where I got my CLS degree), UMKC, KCUMB, NSUCOM, PNWUCOM, TUCOM... Basically, I was figuring DO and was going to apply to my state MDs.

Cumulative GPA: 3.4. Graduated in Microbiology with a 3.25, and in clinical lab science with a 3.7, so I am pleased with the upward trend/cGPA boost.

Science GPA: 3.4

MCAT Scores: TBD. I have purchased EK and am planning to take the MCAT next spring.

Research: None.

Volunteering (clinical): 100+ hours doing phlebotomy at a free clinic. In the process of a getting a gig volunteering as a medical lab scientist at the same place for Heart to Heart.

Physician shadowing: Scheduled to shadow several specialties over the next few months. I should accumulate around 60-80 hours by the end.

Extracurricular activities: I have played violin since I was very young. Over time I picked up other instruments and learned to compose/produce music electronically.

Employment history: Currently working as a medical laboratory scientist (ASCP) full time, focused in hematology and chemistry. Previously I worked as a microbiology start lab technician, as a tutor for general chemistry, as a TA for microbiology, and as a supplemental instructor of introductory biology.

Immediate family members in medicine? No.

Specialty of interest: Although I love pathology, the primary reason I want to make the jump to medical school is that I yearn to feel more directly involved with patients. We do great work in the clinical laboratory, but I miss getting to calm people down before a stick when I volunteered as a phlebotomist, and I love whenever I get to go down to the floor for a P2Y and interact with the people behind the specimens. In other words, I am open to anything. For the sake of nerdy curiosity, I would list pathology, infectious disease, and internal medicine.

Graduate degrees: No graduate degrees. But, I am ASCP certified as a medical lab scientist.

Interest in rural health: Yes.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Score > 500, especiallyy> 505, and you'll be fine.
Thank for the response. I appreciate having a target, or at least knowing it can be done for that matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand your question. Can you focus it down a bit?

Goro pretty much hit the nail on the head. I am about to begin the MCAT journey as a nontrad and wanted to see how people would react to someone with my stats pursuing medical school. I am newly married and would rather not put strain on the relationship over a pipe dream. From what I can gather, a good MCAT score would give me a shot.

Of course you have a shot, especially if you are willing to throw a wide net. Is your spouse happy to move? Are there other careers that you would enjoy equally? Even if med school is fairly easy for you, it will take nearly all your time. Is your spouse OK being independent, seeing friends or going to movies on his or her own? Make sure you and your spouse have realistic expectations. Divorce rates in the medical school - fellowship years are pretty high.

Of course you have a shot, especially if you are willing to throw a wide net. Is your spouse happy to move? Are there other careers that you would enjoy equally? Even if med school is fairly easy for you, it will take nearly all your time. Is your spouse OK being independent, seeing friends or going to movies on his or her own? Make sure you and your spouse have realistic expectations. Divorce rates in the medical school - fellowship years are pretty high.

We have been together for a very long time (almost 9 years). She is very supportive of me and would be willing to move. However, that would even be difficult for me to be honest. In terms of career options, I am lucky to already be set into a stable career choice as a medical lab scientist. I can always get my MBA to climb into administration and so forth if I want to make a different vertical move. The bottom line is that medical school has been (and probably always will be) a dream of mine if I don't at least try to apply. If I do not get in, I will be at peace knowing that I did my best and that my family supports me no matter what.

Your GPAs are on the border for MD and solid for DO. Your life experience makes you an interesting candidate. The truth is that your MCAT score will be the lynchpin to your app. Score in the 503-508 range and you would be fine for almost all DO schools, <503 and the newer DO schools will be your best bet, and if you score 510+ then MD starts to come into the picture. I say study your butt off for it and aim as high as you can before you start making a school list. Goodluck, study hard!

Reactions: 1 users
A redundant statement but nail that MCAT. You have until spring which is a lot of time. Plenty of test prep companies to choose from for content review books.