unusual in anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclacrewdude

the uclacrewdude abides
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it unusual to have all these anatomical terms go in one ear and out the other early in anatomy? I'm studying my first lecture notes, and there's just way too much material on the spinal cord and back alone to feel like I'm learning anything. Is this typical? Am I really learning or should I ask for serious help?

Members don't see this ad.

hey - i felt the same way a couple weeks ago. just keep looking at your notes and your atlas - and probably most importantly, your cadaver. it'll stick. i knew a lot more than i thought i did - still not enough, but a lot more. :) it's a very visual thing, and it takes time for it to stick. that's why cramming doesn't work at all.

I just had my first anatomy quiz this morning. . . . . You'd be surprised at how many of those term come fluttering back in the correct ear at the most opportune moment!

Really, it wasn't as bad as I'd expected. I'll go with manta in saying that it all does seep in as you stare at the Netter and work with the cadavers.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
while i agree with the above posts, at the same time, if you really feel like you're not retaining it, it might not be a bad idea to talk to your anatomy prof and get some tips. the back is the easiest part. it just gets worse after that. .. . if you feel like you might need help, i wouldn't wait to find out.

Repitition, repitition, repitition. (Repeat.)

Oh, and mnemonics help.

-Skip

try using the quiz programs, (like the netter's cd). I really liked it because it had the same structures but with different views, so u learn it the first time then you build confidence each time you go through it (you get more and more right).

I agree with the above posters. Repetition is the key so go over it every day. Also get with an upperclassmen as you may not have to memorize every detail of what is in your picture. A another good way to see how it will be tested is to look at old exams (if they are available).

I use the Netter flash-cards and I love them. After every lecture I add the relevent cards to the pile for that unit and I go through them over and over. You can take them everywhere so if you have a few spare moments you can run through them.