Unusual LOR Idea... What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedTurpentine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Probably not the best idea. Med school LORs should generally be written with med school in mind. It might be weird if your LORs said something that's out of place for a med school application.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you need coursework LORs - I mean they see your grades. I did research LORs (although my LOR writers had me for a class so could comment that I was generally a motivated student) and used a volunteer coordinator for my other LOR.

Reactions: 1 user
No, do not send old letters from college a decade ago. Get a letter from your grad school PI, and consider asking for a second from one of your committee members. The rest should be recent clinical, volunteering, or employment letters. If in doubt about being able to meet a specific school's LOR requirements, you should contact that school directly to inquire about making appropriate substitutions.

Reactions: 1 users
Could you reach out to one of the original letter authors who wrote a great letter before?

I'm in a somewhat similar situation with my LOR's - no classes in last 2.5 years however, I still write to my LOR writers every now and then; so, if I show up on their doorstoop asking for yet another one, they'll remember me and have no issue with it.

I would just reach out to the original letter writers and be honest. You're wondering if they remember you and would still be comfortable writing for you given the situation. If they say they'd rather not because they've not see you as a student in a few years, then politely thank them anyway and change subjects.

At one point they thought well enough of you to write. Would not use old letters. Ever.

1. You need the two science and one non science letter from UG. that is the price of admission to even apply to most schools. Or have a comittee letter from UG.
2. If your LORS at grad school consist of letters from two science and one none science prof , why not take those letters and go back to the professors who wrote them and ask them to resubmit and with updated dates.

Otherwise you are going to have to call schools to get exceptions.

I believe in some cases LORs need to be dated within a certain time period (a year or two), so your plan may not even be feasible.