Unusual path to Surgeon/Doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eccentricity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All!

I would like to ask all you well informed people what path I should/could take to become a doctor/surgeon?

I would like to give you my background to help you help me answer this question.

I graduated undergrad college some 5 years ago. I went to Wharton undergrad at the University of Pennsylvania where I didn't do all to well GPA wise. I got something like a 2.9 (yikes! I know! I had a terrible poker habit!). I did get 3 majors and a minor, none in any sciences though. I also didn't take a single science class in college -- I passed out of all of them after getting high 5's on my APs in college.

After college I went to work in wall street at an investment bank where I made a fair amount of money. A few years after I decided I hated wall street and finance and decided to join the Peace Corps.

I'm currently in Peace Corps working in Georgia helping NGO's. My experience here has made me want to become a doctor and help people all around the world (ala doctors without borders).

So, since I had not taken any science courses in college, and have a terrible GPA, what are my options here? I don't need to go to the best med-schools, and I don't expect too, I just want to be a doctor so I can help save lives and help people out. (instead of high finance which can be quite the opposite)

Thanks for helping!!

Members don't see this ad.

So, since I had not taken any science courses in college, and have a terrible GPA, what are my options here?

You should complete either a formal or informal post bacc to take your pre-reqs and raise that GPA. Since you have been out of school a while, this will also help prove that you can handle the demands and load of med school, etc.

If you are doing a formal post bacc, shoot for the "career changer" programs that are usually 1-2 years and include all the science pre reqs and usually MCAT prep.

If you are doing an informal post bacc, just take the pre reqs you need (1 year Bio + lab, 1 year Chem + lab, 1 year Org Chem + lab, 1 year physics + lab...you probably have the English) and take the MCAT.

:thumbup:

Hey All!

I would like to ask all you well informed people what path I should/could take to become a doctor/surgeon?

I would like to give you my background to help you help me answer this question.

I graduated undergrad college some 5 years ago. I went to Wharton undergrad at the University of Pennsylvania where I didn't do all to well GPA wise. I got something like a 2.9 (yikes! I know! I had a terrible poker habit!). I did get 3 majors and a minor, none in any sciences though. I also didn't take a single science class in college -- I passed out of all of them after getting high 5's on my APs in college.

After college I went to work in wall street at an investment bank where I made a fair amount of money. A few years after I decided I hated wall street and finance and decided to join the Peace Corps.

I'm currently in Peace Corps working in Georgia helping NGO's. My experience here has made me want to become a doctor and help people all around the world (ala doctors without borders).

So, since I had not taken any science courses in college, and have a terrible GPA, what are my options here? I don't need to go to the best med-schools, and I don't expect too, I just want to be a doctor so I can help save lives and help people out. (instead of high finance which can be quite the opposite)

Thanks for helping!!

This is an easy question. Since you have done no science classes, you should do a "special masters program" (you can look them up). It's basically a master's degree in being premed. Obviously you should aim for better grades this time. There are some SMP's with connections to various medical schools, and I believe Gaucher College has one for people like you, without science backgrounds. Your being from Penn will help you, plus the fact you've had all these varied life experiences. I have a feeling you will do well on your MCAT as well. You should be able to get in to somewhere low to mid tier, like Rosalind Franklin or Temple, or to any of the "linked" schools to the SMP if you continuously kiss every butt in the program. You will also be a shoe-in at any of the osteopathic medical schools after the SMP.