MD & DO Unusual Side Effects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perfect Hair Day

Grapes of Wrath, Chocolate Ice Cream, Johnny Cash.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to FA2CK, Dopamine Agonists used in the treatment of Parkinson Disease, such as Ropinirole, Pramipexole, can cause compulsive gambling as a side effect. Probably not high-yield, but interesting.

What unusual side-effects of medications have you encountered?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Gleevec can cause restoration of hair color. Like patients with gray hair regain color. I thought that was crazy.

Reactions: 2 users
Carbamazepine can cause you to hear pitches about a semitone lower than they are in reality.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Gleevec can cause restoration of hair color. Like patients with gray hair regain color. I thought that was crazy.

Very interesting. Similarly, topical prostaglandins used in glaucoma treatment can cause darkening of the iris.

Yes! This happened to a family member of mine and it was freaky but appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
latisse.png

Reactions: 1 user
Well apparently SSRIs impair platelet function, and one doc I've talked to has used them when a patient can't tolerate aspirin

Well apparently SSRIs impair platelet function, and one doc I've talked to has used them when a patient can't tolerate aspirin

What about literally every other anti-platelet or anticoagulation agent?!? Jeez talk about #offlabel. Can anyone comment on this?

Last edited:
I actually have really long eyelashes. Apparently girls like them a lot.

I'm studying Heme/Onc for 2CK right now - something about, serotonin release assay being gold standard for one of the qualitative platelet disorders?

I actually have really long eyelashes. Apparently girls like them a lot.

Yeah, go ahead and pretend like you don't know it, lol.

Isn't there an anti-malarial that causes extremely vivid dreams?

Try HIV meds. I had a finger stick in the OR a while back, and I was placed on HIV meds. Hellish 30 days of vivid dreams. It was an opportunity to understand what some HIV patients have endured

Reactions: 2 users