Chemotherapy-related side effects: Accommodations in Med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curlywhirly1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Does anyone have experience with or knowledge pertaining to requesting accommodations at med school specific to the side effects of chemotherapy?

e.g. chemo brain / brain fog, intermittent fatigue, delayed recall, reduced attention/ concentration, etc.

Do you know if med schools tend to provide accommodations for these type of cancer treatment-related side effects? Is this a difficult process? How extensive of documentation is required?

I'm coming off treatment soon and due to matriculate in 2024. My school is aware of my diagnosis and treatment as I had to request and was granted a deferral.

I don't expect these side effects to last forever, and certainly hope they subside by the time I matriculate. But I have been informed that there may be lingering side effects for some years to come (some more than others), and am concerned.

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Your school would be nuts not to accommodate.

It's a very simple process. A note from your doctor is more than enough. You submit it to your accommodations office, if not, your dean. Typically schools will provide a separate exam space (usually quieter) and grant extra time to complete your exam.

Getting accommodations for Step exam is harder and less consistent. I have a friend with the same issues you're dealing with and they were not granted accommodations because an admin (not even a physician/medical professional) at a Prometric testing center said additional time was not needed for their condition. Absolutely bonkers. But don't worry about it now and cross that bridge when you get there.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that it's very likely your school will provide accomodations if needed. The question is whether they are needed, and what they are.

From your post, it sounds like you're worried about these issues, but don't have any documentation that they are an acctual problem. Not everyone gets brain effects from chemo, and if so how long they would last and what they would be are very individual. I assume you have no track record of needing accommodations, as all of this likely post dates your MCAT and college performance.

So I agree you should open this discussion with your school. I expect they will tell you to start without any specific acccomodations, and see how it goes. If you need more time on exams, that's easy, costs them nothing, and has no impact upon you and your timeline. if you need a decreased courseload, that's also possible but more complicated and obviously extends your educational timeline.

I agree it's best to open this conversation early. And if you end up not needing any additional support, then that's totally fine.

Best of luck with your treatment and remission!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your insight and support. It is difficult to know where to start with something like this, and I appreciate the guidance. I will continue to post my updates on this thread in case it helps anyone else in a similar situation.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Yes, talk to the student services experts. I hope your treatment goes well, but document everything. You may need to consider the deferral process but it sounds like your health team is confident you can start on time.

Reactions: 1 users