Unusual stats, need help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

heather

Hi fellow pre-medical lunatics like myself! I need a little advice. I have a gpa of 3.1 and science gpa of 3.5. My MCAT is 24. The unusual part is my last sixty hours is a 3.7. I graduated BS Biology with Honors. I was very involved on campus and with my sorority. I won many awards and recieved many scholarships. I have worked in the emergency room for two years. I have volunteered for many years doing various things. With my low gpa and mcat scores where should I apply. I do not want to waist my time and money!! Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Heather:

I think your whole application package could be competitive. Your gpa and MCAT are two very important pieces, but it does sound like you may have other pieces that would put you over the top. Your exposure to med. and how you explain it could be what puts you in the running for a 2nd teir school. Check out US News and World Report for school rankings. Also, pick up the MSAR from AAMC. Try to match ave.'s numbers with yours. TCOM, if your interested, is great Osteo. school. I stopped by once, and all the students were more than helpful. I think it is in your "hood". Good Luck.

P.S. If you take the chance, you have everything to gain if you win, but if you lose you are still in the same place. Ah - - less a little cash!!

Hey Heather,

You sound an awful lot like a friend of mine who, incidentally, has the same stats (as far as GPA and experience go). No doubt your peripherals are great, but in all honesty, I would seriously consider re-taking that MCAT. 24 is below average for even the lowest echelon (sp?) med schools, not that it matters, and although your peripherals are outstanding and you sound like a determined individual, a 24 MCAT may prove too steep of a hill to get over w/ peripherals. Hope this helps and i'm sorry if i brought you down..I'm sure you'll make it, but Good luck just the same..Peace..

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall, your application sounds competitive, but you must choose your schools wisely. If you are a Texas resident, I would suggest applying to all of the Texas schools. The schools are good, and the cost of education is low. You can also look into schools with a high out-of-state percentage.

------------------
And the blessings just keep coming!

Heather,

Go to the Allopathic forum in the Doctoral Students area... topic called "Lowest Scores" or something like that. Rest yourself easy! See some of the low scores that other people posted, and were able to get on. Also, I agree about retaking the MCAT, but make sure it shows an improvement! As I've heard, med schools frown on taking the MCAT again and doing worse on it.

Best of luck!