UOMHS students: Need some advice on apartments or housing.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VM

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow UOMHS students or students-to-be. I am planning on going to DM this week to look for an apartment (or maybe even a house, condo, or townhouse). I am married, but with no children (have a cat). Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a particular apartment complex(es) where married students tend to live (my wife has secured a job in DM)? Do they normally just buy homes? I really don't have to be right by the school, but I would like to be able to get there by car less than 15 minutes or so. Any advice on the living situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey VM,

i posted some numbers that you can call for housing info. in a thread named "Anyone from UOMHS" on may 13th. you can also go to "Des Moines Register" (the local paper) on any search engine and look under the rentals section. it will list several apt. complexes with addresses, phone #, and other important info. (ie, pets, fireplaces, parking). hope this helps, Rene

RC,
Thanks. I went to DM last weekend and found a place in West DM.

Members don't see this ad :)
VM,

I just went to DM today and found about 4 nice 1-2 BR places in the west side of DM, about 8-9 blocks from school. all the places that i looked at were in houses or was a duplex, i'm not a big apt. complex fan. i was very surprised with the quantity of selection so i think i'll wait a couple of weeks to sign for a place. i don't want to pay for june and july rent if i can help it. so where exactly are you living in west DM??? is it a house/complex?? if you have the chance, go to Valley Junction in WDM,i believe it's on 5th St., killer chinese food at cafe Sue and a great irish pub/burger joint on the same street. later, rene

Rene, you don't have to sign a lease that early if you don't want to live right across the street from UOMHS! There are a lot of apartments nearby, especially out in WDM or in the Drake area (if you're brave like me), so save your money. I am SURE you could find a place in the a week or two before orientation. A lot of people actually don't get placed UNTIL orientation, but that would stress me out. Use your best judgment.