UOMHS VS. UHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoren

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all current students or applicants who chose between these two schools:

These are two great schools, but I'd be interested in learning why you chose one over the other. I like various aspects of the school in Des Moines, and other ones about the one in KC. It's a tough decision!

Thanks for your input
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

I interviews at both and chose UOMHS. I thought both were good schools, and, like you, liked and disliked certain things about both. UHS has nicer facilities than UOMHS. For instance, UHS has a camera over the pro-section and tv's spaced around the room so that each student can see what is being done by the TA's/professors. While UOMHS has purchased a sky cam, I don't think they plan to install tv's. Here's why I chose UOMHS. First, UOMHS is in a much nicer part of town than UHS. I wanted to live right by school, and wasn't comfortable with the idea of living near UHS. Second, I'm from Wichita,KS, which is much smaller than KC. Des Moines felt much friendlier to me, much more laid back. Third, UHS has a dress code that is much more strict than UOMHS's. I had no desire to wear slacks to school every day.

Now that I'm here, I'm glad I made this choice. By the end of my first year, I'll be able to do a full-body treatment on somebody. At UHS I would have learned mostly diagnostics my first year (according to what I was told during my interview visit.)

Somebody from UHS will have as many good things to say about their school, I'm sure. Like you said, they're both good schools. If you have any questions, e-mail me at [email protected].

Sorry, but I need to dispell a misconception: UHS does not have a strict dress code. Unless anyone considers jeans and t-shirts a "strict" dress code. The only "no-nos" are shorts, tank tops, anything with an offensive message printed on, indecent attire (you know, the stuff your dad you have an MI over, and caps. Caps are OK during finals, better than showing one's disheveled hair, I guess...
We only have to dress up when guest lecturers are coming. It makes sense, because they don't lecture in jeans and t-shirts either. Obviously, you also have to dress up for any clinical program you are partecipating in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just as UHS2002 mentioned previously, we don't have a specific dress code. As for diagnosing and treating patients following your first year of OMT, I wouldn't advise it. We learn diagnostics first and treatments toward the end of 1st year and into second year. It really doesn't make any difference when you obtain your ability to diagnose and treat over the 1st two years of your education. You can't really use it until your 3rd and 4th year clinicals anyway.

I wish you the best of luck with your medical education and congratulations on being chosen to 2 great DO programs.

Thanks for the replies!

It was a tough choice, but I decided on UOMHS. For me it came down to the location, the program and the tuition (although only a small factor). I like the smaller city of Des Moines and the neighborhood of the school. I also heard that at UOMHS, they present the material in the second year through a sort of organ systems approach. When I asked my tour guide at UHS, he said it was traditional lecture both years there. At UOMHS they don't grade your exams on a curve (although I assume they evaluate you against your classmates in some way).

Does anyone at know if they have a note taking service at UOMHS?

Scott

During my tour of the school, our tour guide talked about the note taking service, and said it costs about $200 or so. I don't remember the specifics or he didn't talk about it.

Yup...there's a note service at UOMHS. They will explain it in all of its wonder during orientation week. It's a good idea to subscribe, even though the notes aren't always the best or totally accurate. Used in combination with the class packets and the textbooks, its a pretty good reference. Plus, if you sign up to write for notepool (as it is called), you can earn a little cash on the side.

UHS2002
Sorry for misrepresenting your school. At my interview I was told that, although the school did not have a formal dress code, it was an unwritten code that slacks and a nice shirt were normally worn. That's how students were dressed when I was there.

Notepool at UOMHS costs my class $350/student, and I've hardly used it. It depends on your learning style as to whether notepool is worth getting or not. It also depends on the quality of your notetakers. My class has some pretty lousy notetakers. Hopefully yours will be better. Oh, another warning. Beware of microscope rentals. I've used mine all of twice. It's really NOT necessary, unless you plan to go to Histology lab. I got through Histology just fine using an atlas (Wheater's). Again, it depends on personal preference, but think about it.

This reason everyone at UHS was dressed nicely the day you were there was
because we had a guest speaker (you were there on a friday right?). Also,
Our 1st year note pool cost about $200, but the 2nd year only cost us $75
(we bought our own copiers to save money). I would advise everyone to join
notepool. Much of it will not be used, but it is a must for certain courses,
and of course when you are absent. Also, everyone is pretty good about incl
remarks and test tips given by the profs.