UOP (2+3) or USC (TAP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into the 2+3 pharmD program at UOP, and I am waiting for a response from USC TAP.

Hypothetically, if I were to get into USC TAP program, I need advice on choosing which one I should go to? I already know the pros and cons of the city (one is busy the other, not so much), and that doesn't really matter to me that much. I'm just really worried about what would happen after I graduate.

When applying for a job for pharmacy, do they really look at whether I have a bachelors, or is that insignificant? Because if I were to go to UOP, then I technically would not have a bachelors degree, but at USC, there's a choice of getting one.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Just because you got in to UOP as a 2+3 does not mean that you have to complete it in the five years. If you want to take an extra year or two as an undergrad and get a degree, you are more than welcome to do that.

As far as getting a job after you graduate, once you have your PharmD, you are pretty much the same as everyone else with one. I don't know of any places that would look down on not having a bachelor's if you've gotten your PharmD. Someone please correct me if I am wrong...

IMO, I would go for a B.S. and a PharmD. The reason is because you have another degree to fall back on. If you decide you don't want to work in pharmacy for a while or anymore, or should anything in the future happen that causes you to be unable to work in pharmacy, then you have something to fall back on. Without the B.S. all you have is a PharmD and you're kind of...stuck. Plus, you'll be a more rounded pharmacist; you'll be somewhat of an expert in another area also. But there are other conditions like tuition and time that play a part in making this decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies :)

Yah I am definitely thinking of getting a B.S. just because I do want to go study other fields besides pharmacy. It's an idea, but tuition is definitely a factor.

I'm thinking maybe after I finish my 5 years and after a couple of years after landing a pharmacy job, I can go back to school and study for a B.S. I don't know if it's that simple.

How bout if I wanted to become a professor in the pharmacy? Would I need a B.S.? Or could I continue on that path with just a pharmD

I'm not sure about professors/teaching wise...

but another thing to add is that if you find out statistics wise n such, subliminally, just because you are accepted to the 2+3 program does not guarantee you are accepted to the graduate school portion @ UOP (I dont know about USC's TAP). I went to a seminar and they said "99.5something%" got in... but wouldn't it suck being the other <4% haha. Just something to keep in mind. Mos def recommend the B.S. though :thumbup:

^ yeah for UOP you're not guaranteed into their pharm school. you just have an advantage. you have to pass a writing sample and an interview or something and also maintain a certain GPA.

i would go for USC.

Congratulation! I too applied for the Pharmd program, yet I have not received any information if I got accepted or not. When did you get notified? I thought decision were not to be made till March 15th. I could be wrong though…Do you think I should call the school? Congrats again...

Thank you :)
For the UoP pharmD program, I was notified sometime around late January (I can't remember the exact date.)

I'm still waiting for an answer from USC though.

grats for being accepted into uop. i should've applied for uop but didn't. still waiting for usc as well. i would prefer uop if i applied i'm sure that being a pharmacist is what i want to do for rest of my life, and to boot it's 2 yrs faster. And you can also pace it a little bit so finish in 6 yrs.

and for those who got accepted into accelerated programs please post in my thread which is listed in my PM

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats (GPA, SAT)? I'm anxious to hear from the school. Thanks :xf:

Thank you :)
I got an acceptance letter from USC, and now I'm just waiting on their TAP program. If I get into that, then I'll have to decide between UoP and USC, which I feel will be an extremely tough decision

For my stats:
Weighted GPA: 4.1 ( I don't know my unweighted, sorry)
SAT (highest scores combined): 2090
SAT 2: 770 bio, 720 math, 750 ushistory

I applied for the TAP program this year (2009), but I still have not heard anything from them. Has anyone else applied this year and have you found out if you got in or not???

Just choose the school that a) you feel the most comfortable going to; b) the one that gives you the best chance of getting the PharmD; c) the cheapest...

Also, talk to current/former students they will help you.

One thing to consider is the job market in ~5 years versus the job market in 7. That's provided you don't for for the BS/BA. If you do then it's 7 years vs 8years. I suppose either way you'll have at least 2 years to decide if you really want the BA/BS. UOP and USC both have good programs. So you should be fine either way.