UOP essay...need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fujitsux

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm writing my reasons of why attending UOP and I don't know what to write about? Where do you find stuff about this school like Naplex passing rate, tuition fee, what kind of programs research there are? I read their website but it didn't tell me enough! How did you guys research for it? Please help, I am clueless!!!

With my low (3.0 gpa) I must do well in these essays. So plz contribute as much as u can :laugh:...Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm writing my reasons of why attending UOP and I don't know what to write about? Where do you find stuff about this school like Naplex passing rate, tuition fee, what kind of programs research there are? I read their website but it didn't tell me enough! How did you guys research for it? Please help, I am clueless!!!

With my low (3.0 gpa) I must do well in these essays. So plz contribute as much as u can :laugh:...Thank you!!!

Stockton is 2nd in nation in car thefts and have a high rate of crime, depression, and suicide rate. Just be honest with them. If you tell them how they have a high Naplex passing rate(assuming they do), and other statistical bullcrap, then you would be like the other 500 other applicants who did research and wrote the same bullcrap. The Adcom wants to know something unique and personal about you. Be honest with them. Don't try to show off your statistical research skills. Tell them about how you grew up in the getto neighborhoods of Stockton and how to want to help out the drug addicts there(assuming this is true). Now that is something unique, personal, and not bullcrap(if it is true). If you write like 500 other applicants, they will know if you are BSing or not. This is coming from me, a 4th time reapplicant. I had to endure 3 years of BSing until I realize I should just tell them straight and honestly why I want to go to their school. Be knowledgeable about their school but at the same time don't use it as a way to bombard every sentence of your essay and tell them why it is the sole reason you want to attend there. Trust me, a truthful person will not have one sole reason to attend a particular school.

yeah, i agree with the poster above...dont give them BS about test scores or it being a good school n all that...in my experience its better to talk about the campus maybe how you like it n stuff and feel its a good atmosphere for you to learn in (thats what I said in my interview question this past year) and how you feel that you'll fit in and acclimate easily...do not mention the city itself...its laughable about how bad stockton is....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Passion4sci-

My question is on the supplemental Essay " Why you selected UOP?" How long should it be. The requirement is 300 words. also I was curious how detail should one be describing the programs they offer and the ones that interests me the most.

Usually how long do you write for the school impression essay?

Hello Passion4sci-

My question is on the supplemental Essay " Why you selected UOP?" How long should it be. The requirement is 300 words. also I was curious how detail should one be describing the programs they offer and the ones that interests me the most.

I'm not Passion4sci, but you typically don't want to describe their programs in great depth. 300 words is not a lot, be concise and explain how you feel their program is right for you (helping you achieve certain goals, the pace of the program with your habits, maybe overachiever etc.)

Usually how long do you write for the school impression essay?

if you're given instructions, follow the instructions as closely as possible. If it says one page double spaced, do one page double spaced. If it says 500 words, keep it at around 500 words...don't need to be exact but you should be close. Note: If it says MAXIMUM of 500 words then make sure you don't go over.

I'm having some trouble with this essay too, but what I'm trying to do is explain how UOP is a good fit for me and how I am a good fit for UOP. I'm trying to keep it around 300 words b/c the prompt says "briefly."

Can someone clarify if the response is indeed 300 words or less? It says "Minimum 300 Words."

Can someone clarify if the response is indeed 300 words or less? It says "Minimum 300 Words."

I remember this prompt--same one as last year. Yes, you need AT LEAST 300 words; although, I wouldn't go too crazy and write 5 pages or anything. It's the only prompt I can remember that had a word minimum.

I remember this prompt--same one as last year. Yes, you need AT LEAST 300 words; although, I wouldn't go too crazy and write 5 pages or anything. It's the only prompt I can remember that had a word minimum.

Thanks! I have around 400 words so I hope that won't be too long. I really don't think I can reduce it any further. I was just worried that they would cut off my response after 300 words from the online form.

So after going over this thread, I realized that I read the supplemental essay directions incorrectly: I thought it said 300 word max, instead of min. I think I saw the word briefly and just assumed, and I was stupidly rushing to get it in for the tier one deadline and made this huge mistake. I'm wondering if it's possible to ask to "take it back" and re-submit for tier two, or if I should just pray they don't use word count on me (I had 251 words).

Ughh, I'm so angry at myself!!!! Any advice is welcome =)

So after going over this thread, I realized that I read the supplemental essay directions incorrectly: I thought it said 300 word max, instead of min. I think I saw the word briefly and just assumed, and I was stupidly rushing to get it in for the tier one deadline and made this huge mistake. I'm wondering if it's possible to ask to "take it back" and re-submit for tier two, or if I should just pray they don't use word count on me (I had 251 words).

Ughh, I'm so angry at myself!!!! Any advice is welcome =)

E-mail Veronica ([email protected]) and ask her - She will give you a definitive answer. However, I have a strong notion that she is going to say "See you next year."

I e-mailed Veronica Semler, and she reassured me that the length was not critical as long as I covered all the reasons why I'm interested in UOP. :)

I e-mailed Veronica Semler, and she reassured me that the length was not critical as long as I covered all the reasons why I'm interested in UOP. :)

"The length isn't critical," but the fact that you can't follow directions is probably going to scream louder than a baby exiting its mother's vagina during labor.

It really makes the admissions committee's decision easy when you can't follow directions--could there be a worse first impression? UCSF applicants have this issue every year when they send their supplemental app and it's fee to the same location when the instructions CLEARLY state they are to go to two different locations. A guy on the admissions committee has a FAQ page on the website and says by not following directions you've basically screened yourself out.

When they say not critical, it means that they won't dismiss you right away for not following directions. What it does mean is that it probably hurt you in comparison to other apps. I know UoP though, it won't hurt you too big since you were at 251, just make sure you don't make another similar goof-up.

thanks for the responses, I'll definitely make sure to not rush through anymore of the applications--and to triple check all of the instructions! I've learned my lesson!!