• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

UOP or USC????

Roems11

10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2007
Wisconsin
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Hmm... I never toured UoP. But I did tour USC and got accepted today. I chose Penn a while ago, but just wan't really impressed with USC from the begining. I decided from the interview that PBL wasn't going to be the best fit for me. It seemed like everyone I interviewed with wasn't really sure about how the PBL was going to be... maybe they just did a poor job of presenting it to our interview group. I thought the clinics were pretty run down too (except the ortho clinic which is brand new.) These two schools I really feel present such a different education that the decision should be pretty clear once you know what you want...

PBL...
or Three years....

Good luck!
Keep in mind, I know nothing about UoP and only know about USC from my interview... SO, my advice should be pretty insignificant in your decision.

About the Ads

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Eh, I woluldn't go so far as to outright bash USC. I think to succeed there you're going to have to be highly self-motivated, and the people that are driven enough to do well in a PBL program are people to be envied. USC is also a school associated with achievement, and that's not something to be ignored. Plus, everyone knows who the Trojans are, but who's ever heard of the Tigers?

That being said, from a superficial standpoint UoP seems to have much more to offer: The only 3 year program in the country, great clinical education, humanistic atmosphere...I could go on but you've heard it all before.

Good luck, it's a rough choice.

About the Ads

t2thDr14

10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
UOP hands down.

I last visited USC during the summer on a pre-dent trip. The admissions fellow gave us this presentation about the PBL program... and when I asked about how I heard (from my dad who's a dentist) that 2/3 of the class did not pass the Boards Part II a couple years ago... he kinda smiled and said "Yea, we're still working out kinks." I mean, come on... Seriously?

USC is soo much more expensive too. Are you really willing to compromise your education and your wallet to stay nearer to home? I love my family too, but really think about it before you decide.

Housing in SF shouldn't be too bad a concern. There are apartments nearby, and of course student housing which is pretty affordable.

Good luck.

AnonymousADCOM

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
everyone who responded yes to UOP doesn't know what they're talking about. go to USC. it's more expensive, but it means you'll learn more solo from the do-it-yourself PBL curriculum. plus, you'll stay in school longer, meaning living like a student longer. plus, you can't beat the area. it's always a great experience to get mugged in la while breathing in smog. it'll make your immune system stronger, and it'll nurture your personal growth. so USC hands down. as drama puts it, VICTORY!!

Kunsan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
UOP with a doubt... Well thats just my opinion, choose what is best for you.
So far, all I hear are good things about the program at UOP more so than USC, but of course both are great programs.

AnonymousADCOM

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
thanks...but i should have added.... I'm from LA (my fam & bf are here)....and i have housing (one thing i'm worried about UOP is finding decent housing)

other than that I'm sooooooo on UOP side.errrr

i'm not sure if sacrificing a better dental educational experience due to proximity of your bf and family is a good move. plus, you'll find housing up there.

icepinkish

O! teeeeeth~
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I am sure that you can find very decent housing in SF if you take the tuition you save from not attending SC to pay your rent. It'll be plenty :) . Plus SF isn't that far from LA... it's still in CA ;)

cocokeala

katonk!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
california
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
my mom attended USC and said it was the worst 4 years in her life. everyone was cut-throat. but then again, that was a long time ago....

as for reputations, USC has a good one. right now, my mom doesnt know how much more competitive UOP is because back in her day it wasnt that competitive. just goes to show that you shouldnt just go to a school because it currently has a good reputation. good schools will make names for themselves.

plus at USC you dont want to waste your time on excessively long summer vacations where you could possibly lose some hand skills you've worked on all year. thats a plus to the 3 year program at UOP

if you wanna be a happy little dental student go to UOP!

chomper

I heart dentistry
10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2006
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
during my interview, several USC students told me NOT to come here! when I told them I also got accepted to UOP, they laughed and said "why are you even interviewing here?, go to UOP!"

chomper

I heart dentistry
10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2006
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Did they say why? When was this?

their reasons were, b/c usc is "disorganized", b/c USC is undergoing a curriculum change but wont say when or whats gonna happen, also b/c they where unhappy with USC's PBL

I'm sure there are some students who are happy at USC, I just didn't meet any. I don't want my experience to discourage you. Form your own opinion, and keep in mind that USC is trying to improve, hence the curriculum change.

ILoveYourSmile

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
Hey everyone! thanks for all your help....but honestly....I must have had way to much blood taken (had a dr. appt) yesterday to even make a blog of this sort..... my mind has pretty much BEEN set....ya'll just reinforced my thoughts...THANK YOU!!!

Denticized

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2006
Los Angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Look USC and UoP are really close in what their mission is: both are very clinically oriented and both have about 140 class size.

You really do not have many pros and cons. Let me make it much easier for you. You only have two things to consider:

1) Go to USC due to proximity to family
2) Go to UoP so you can graduate earlier and help your family earlier

Bottomline you'll do fine dont worry a bit

Envision

Envisioning...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
Irvine
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Look USC and UoP are really close in what their mission is: both are very clinically oriented and both have about 140 class size.

You really do not have many pros and cons. Let me make it much easier for you. You only have two things to consider:

1) Go to USC due to proximity to family
2) Go to UoP so you can graduate earlier and help your family earlier

Bottomline you'll do fine dont worry a bit

Similar mission goals as well as a similar class size is about all these two schools have in common. They differ greatly in their curriculum and teaching methodology to say the least. but either way, the OP has already made her decision.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.