UOP or USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Star Babe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
which one would you guys choose if u get in to both USC or UOP?

Members don't see this ad.

I would choose UOP. I am not particularly crazy about the Problem Based Learning curriculum at USC.

I would probably choose UOP too since it is one year shorter

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you pre-dent socalkev79? Welcome to SDN!

Thanks! Centrum! and Yes. I am a predent too!

I would choose UOP without a doubt. I heard the USC PBL program really sucks. I talked to many people 1st and 2nd years and they all hate it. One of my friend just started at USC dental school and he says the students have no clue whats going on so far.

Originally posted by juan7677
I would choose UOP without a doubt. I heard the USC PBL program really sucks. I talked to many people 1st and 2nd years and they all hate it. One of my friend just started at USC dental school and he says the students have no clue whats going on so far.

like many things in life, there are good points to pbl as well as bad. the only reason why your friend doesn't know anything yet is because he has yet to learn all the material, the concept of tying all the aspects of the basic sciences together, and thinking objectively. i wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusion by saying that "pbl sucks because no one knows what's going on."

honestly, in terms of overall knowledge, i think pbl students have an advantage because we are constantly forced to think of every system in relation to each other.

Although USC is not one of my favorite schools, I still think that it does provide better dental education compare to UOP. UOP does not have specialty departments (such as endo, ortho, etc.) so you'll get to do lots of things as a dental student. However, if you do want to specialize in some field after the dental school, it would be wise to attend an institution with comprehensive specialty departments. USC tend to take their own students into their specialty programs. Although I'm not exposed to the PBL program, I think it's a great way of learning. Just a thought.