UOP vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammc89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there's a thread about UOP vs Tufts already but I couldn't find anything about which school would provide a better opportunity to specialize over the other. I'm currently accepted to both programs and unsure about which one to attend. I'm from california myself so moving to San Francisco would be easier. However, my main concern right now is attending a school that would give me a better opportunity to specialize. If anyone has any input I would love to hear. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Cost difference?

The right person will be able to specialize regardless of what school they attend.

Reactions: 1 user
Price wise they are about the same. I believe UOP is slightly more expensive but its also a three year program so I'll have an extra year to pay off the loans. I was just wondering if it would be harder to specialize at UOP due to the condensed curriculum and less prestige compared to Tufts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always considered UoP to be very prestigious...

neither

neither are pass fail, neither are specially known for research, neither have medical school curriculum, neither attract a boatload of people wanting to specialize, neither are affordable, neither are ivy or uc, neither had top board scores before it became pass fail

both are your run of the mill private dental schools

if you come out of uop and manage to be top 10, do externship, research, take boards, and cbse all before 3 years in order to do omfs, i would be thoroughly impressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I envy those who possess the kind of conviction that allows them to know for sure that they have to specialize, without having ever done an ounce of dentistry.
Go to UoP, young man/woman/person. Like Glimmer1991 said, if you have what it takes, you'll specialize from anywhere. But then again, I might be biased on the matter...

Thanks for all the responses! I'm actually not entirely sure that I want to specialize. However, I do want to go to the school that would give me a better opportunity to do it if I decide to. I'm leaning towards UOP at the moment