UOP vs UConn (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Relx

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
School 1: UOP
Pros:
  • Excellent clinical reputation, several students have personally told me they typically perform several procedures and get experience with more complex cases and feel very confident coming out of the program, even compared to other students at other schools.
  • 3 year program
  • Strong culture of respect, professionalism, and leadership which made a strong impact on me on interview day and when communicating with students at the school
  • The Dugoni Alumni family
  • Living in San Francisco

Cons:
  • Living in San Francisco
  • COA = 220k includes tuition, fees, living expenses, and interest at graduation
  • Graded
  • Difficult to specialize should I change my mind (unlikely)
School 2: UConn (OOS)
Pros:
  • P/F
  • Strong Biomedical Curriculum
  • Small class size and strong faculty relationships(is also a slight con for me)
  • COA= 50k includes tuition, fees, living expenses, and interest at graduation
Cons:
  • Residencies limit exposure to more complex cases
  • Student have personally told me they feel like they need a GPR or AEGD
  • Farmington is not as exciting as San Francisco but it’s cheaper to live/can own a car/don’t need roommates

Do I pay a premium to exit a year earlier and be a good clinician or pay almost nothing but not save a year and not come out as confident a clinician?

-Edited for length

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The price difference is huge, and with compounding interest… we’re talking a difference of a house (or at least a huge down payment). UConn’s P/F curriculum is something that I take for granted until I hear how other students are struggling to stay in the top 3rd in their school. As far as GPR/AEGD, it’s becoming increasingly more common for those going into general to do one, it’s even required in NY state. The reason for this is because no dental school gives you anywhere near as many clinic hours as a residency will. No matter which school you pick, they will prepare you to not hurt anyone and the standard of care, you will not feel efficient just from your clinic years at D school, that’s what residency/practice is for. Given that, UConn would be my choice any day

Reactions: 1 users