UOP vs. UCSF - help i need advice!!

Started by adpdent
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

adpdent

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't decide and need advice as soon as possible. I don't know which to pick, UOP or UCSF! I think that both are great schools, but that only makes my decision harder. In addition to just deciding, I'm low on time to decide. If anyone can give any advice please do, and give me your reason. Thanks, I'd really appreciate it!
 
Dental916 said:
if u live in cali...go to ucsf...in state tuition...much cheaper.

Not a dental student myself but have plenty of friends that are, I will say UCSF hands down. GREAT UNIVERSITY, GREAT FACILITIES, both medical and dental and GREAT reputation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UOP. The extra year in practice will more than make up for the extra tuition. When you think about this, don't think it's one more year making your starting income. It's one more year at your peak production.
 
that's a tough choice....but here's a few things to consider. I dont know as much about UCSF but here's some stuff for UOP.

Pros for UOP -

+ top of the line facilities (great sim lab, classrooms, etc.)
+ faculty is extremely nice, accessible and student friendly.
+ all...ALL the students seem extremely happy and go on to have great
profitable careers as dentists. Also, like other schools (except Penn) have
about 15% go on to specialties.
+ Probably considered the best dental school in California by practicing dentists and the "dental community"

Cons for UOP -

- dress code (what?!)
- price (although have to factor in 3 yrs vs. 4)
- general public are not aware of UOP and how great it is, which might be
annoying in the future when your patients ask where you went and kinda
write you off because they have never heard of UOP and don't know where
it is.

...i've heard that the faculty at UCSF is not as nice, nor are the facilities. I have also heard that they are more focused on research rather than the clinic. Personally I would choose UOP over UCSF...now UOP vs. UCLA...that would be a tougher decision.
 
PACIFIC is a better dental school.
UCSF is a better name.
In short, post grad plans --> UCSF
GP and clinical emphasis (including practice management) --> PACIFIC.
adpdent said:
I can't decide and need advice as soon as possible. I don't know which to pick, UOP or UCSF! I think that both are great schools, but that only makes my decision harder. In addition to just deciding, I'm low on time to decide. If anyone can give any advice please do, and give me your reason. Thanks, I'd really appreciate it!
 
Very true.

bl1ndfolded said:
that's a tough choice....but here's a few things to consider. I dont know as much about UCSF but here's some stuff for UOP.

Pros for UOP -

+ top of the line facilities (great sim lab, classrooms, etc.)
+ faculty is extremely nice, accessible and student friendly.
+ all...ALL the students seem extremely happy and go on to have great
profitable careers as dentists. Also, like other schools (except Penn) have
about 15% go on to specialties.
+ Probably considered the best dental school in California by practicing dentists and the "dental community"

Cons for UOP -

- dress code (what?!)
- price (although have to factor in 3 yrs vs. 4)
- general public are not aware of UOP and how great it is, which might be
annoying in the future when your patients ask where you went and kinda
write you off because they have never heard of UOP and don't know where
it is.

...i've heard that the faculty at UCSF is not as nice, nor are the facilities. I have also heard that they are more focused on research rather than the clinic. Personally I would choose UOP over UCSF...now UOP vs. UCLA...that would be a tougher decision.
 
UCSF is a great school, with great people. The facilities are great and span over several campuses throughout San Francisco, include a view of both the Pacific Ocean and the Golden Gate Bridge from the pre-clinical lab and clinics.

The school provides something that I don't know if other schools provide: the ability to change - to modify the ideologies and curriculum. The students carry a huge amount of power at UCSF and are given that power, plus resources and guidance to make change in our own education.

As for research.... At UCSF we are given every opportunity to do research and they give us a 3.5 month summer after our first year during which we can participate in a research fellowship. There is absolutely no requirement to do any research and no one asks you why if you decide not to do any in your time here.

This is getting long so I'll end it with a brief summary. UCSF has wonderful facilities and people, will inspire you, give you the power to cause change, and provides you with opportunity.

Good luck with your decision.
 
uop and ucsf both are great school. if you like research more, then ucsf, or clinical more, then uop.

tuition fee: uop definitely the most if compare with ucsf. but it's 3 years program. if you add 3 year's tuition fee, and compare with 4 years ucsf, i'm sure uop save a lot. and you get out earlier.

living: both at sf, so almost the same. depends on yourself.
 
UOP. but either way, you will be getting a great education so its a win-win situation for you. i know money might be a big concern but if you think about it, you will graduate a year earlier, so that would give you an extra year of salary that you wouldnt get at a 4 year school. also, the experience of that extra year will also improve your speed and confidence, which can help you become more efficient.