upcoming 3rd year med student needing next loan option...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sthpawslugger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Between undergrad, grad, pre-med courses, and now 2 years of medical school, I believed I have maxed out my federal loans. No, scratch that. I know I have. What are my next best loan options to consider? I know I'm going to be sitting at half a mil, but don't want the interest rates to bite me in the ass too much. For the record, I'm not wanting to commit to primary care, so that loan service program is out of the question. Also, I applied for the guard but I've had an ear surgery secondary to hearing loss, thus DQ'ing me.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are confused with how grad loans work. A Grad plus loan has no cap on the total amount you can borrow and will allow you to borrow up to the cost of attendance for your school. Go talk to your financial aid office they be able to explain to you how the loans work. Grad plus loans come with a higher interest rate but still probably better than you will get in private loans. Most likely as you said you will approach 500k in debt you already have some grad plus loans.

Reactions: 1 users
There's loans beyond Stafford. You will be ok. Yes your loans will be high but you are in good company. Depending on your specialty in the end and if you are interested in a nonprofit you'll know how much you have to worry about your loan balance.

Reactions: 1 user