1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Upcoming KCUMB Interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by spicedmanna, Feb 15, 2007.

1. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi, folks,

Yup, you guessed it, I'm going to be attending my very first medical school interview ever next week at KCUMB. While I'm somewhat nervous, as to be expected, I'm mostly excited. I've been to many job interviews, and as a project manager, given them. However, I realize that medical school interviews are different. I intend to let go of any technique focus and simply allow myself to flow, with the added intent of getting accepted, of course. :)

That said, I am interested in any sage advice, or feedback, any veterans of medical school interviews have to offer, particularly in regard to the KCUMB process. From scouring the interview feedback forum and from doing a search, I gather that it is rather laid-back. There tends to be some questions of the general sort, such as "Why medicine/DO?", etc., followed by ethics questions. I heard that the students generally brief you on your interviewer(s) before your actual interview. Anything further to add?

Below is a general outline of the day that I found in this forum. Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks for your help! :thumbup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    Good luck on it. :thumbup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yes_I_DO

Yes_I_DO KCUMB 2011
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    lol you seem pretty prepared. i cant imagine what you still need to know. the airport is a lot smaller than i expected; which is good b/c it eases accessibility. i interviewed there 1st and will matriculate in Aug. if you have any specifics feel free to pm me.

4. OP
    OP
    spicedmanna

Attending Physician
    Thanks, folks. I feel encouraged. :)

5. zenhiking

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are you familiar with the history of osteopathic medicine? Good Luck.

6. kealaq

kealaq Child, Adolescent & Adult Psychiatrist
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Some regional questions from my interview:

How did you hear of or learn about KCUMB?

Why would you choose Kansas City, MO? (I almost made the mistake of calling the city Kansas City, KS...)

Do you have friends/relatives in Kansas City, MO?

===

And I got to ask some questions about:

Their "Spirituality in Medicine" Award. They are very proud of this.

The 2nd year med student medical mission to Central America. You get to take an extra-curricular medical Spanish class before you go. A lot of students go in the summer.

The joint DO/MBA program. Very interesting idea, but will keep you very busy all year round. Good for those interested in healthcare management & biotechnology company development.

Good luck with your interview! Always review & prepare with another person if possible. Be yourself, be natural, & go with the goal to really impress!

7. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Good luck, but I don't think you're gonna need it. You're right -- KCUMB's interview process is very informal. It's more like they're trying to sell the school on you than you selling yourself on the school. Just be prepared to answer the big ones like why do, why here, and you're good.

8. OP
    OP
    spicedmanna

Attending Physician
    At the novice level, I would say. I'm definitely going to review everything before I fly out. Thanks for the heads up and well-wishes. :)

Thanks so much for your insight on possible questions to ask!

Thanks! I truly feel more at ease hearing this. :thumbup:

9. bigdog8829

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The waiting around before your interview is pretty boring and I thought it was unorganized. You get fitted for a white coat and can talk to a fin aid rep. if you want. my biggest piece of advice is to BE YOURSELF! it is alottt easier said than done.
    I really messed up my first interview bc i was soo nervous (and accordingliy i was waitlisted there). The next 2 interviews i had were golden and i got into both programs. Good luck. Let me know, if you get in i'll include your name in my letter to KCUMB declining my seat. I'll reserve it for you :laugh:

10. OP
    OP
    spicedmanna

Attending Physician
    Thanks. I do my best to just chill out.

Will do. :thumbup:

11. OP
    OP
    spicedmanna

Attending Physician
    So, I just flew back from my interview. I always liked KCUMB on paper, but now having visited the school and interviewed there, I absolutely love it. What an amazing medical school. I can totally see myself attending there as a medical student and having a great time. Now, I can only hope the admissions office agrees. The adcomm meets this Friday and said we should be hearing back early next week. :scared:

12. hamiltong

hamiltong MS-II
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Well, it sounds like everything went well. I also enjoyed the school, atmosphere, people, etc. I will be going there in the fall, unless I hear some news from my instate. Either way, it'll be a winner. Let us know if you get the good letter!

13. Packamylase

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    KCUMB in da HOUSE!!!!

14. OP
    OP
    spicedmanna

Attending Physician
    Just opened my mail and got my KCUMB acceptance. Holy crap. I'm on my way to becoming a doctor! :eek: :) :D :thumbup:

It was a heck of long road, but I now find it all worth the tremendous effort. Thanks, everyone, for giving me a hand in the process and for all the encouragement. :)

15. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I can't say I'm surprised, but yay! Congrats!! :thumbup:

16. Packamylase

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :thumbup: Congratulations!!!! :thumbup:

17. HarveyCushing

7+ Year Member

Congrats. Welcome to the KCUMB crowd.

18. OP
    OP
    spicedmanna

Attending Physician
    Thanks, folks. :)

19. kealaq

kealaq Child, Adolescent & Adult Psychiatrist
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Congratulations!

20. zenhiking

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    1st medical school interview and acceptance all within a week. Not bad. Good to see a fellow non-trad on the way to KCUMB. Congratulations.

21. OP
    OP
    spicedmanna

Attending Physician
    Thank you. :) I'm feeling quite excited about what's next and very happy about joining the class of 2011.

Although I am pretty much set on attending KCUMB (going to send in my deposit soon), I'm still going to go to my interview at COMP anyway, to check out the school and my choice thoroughly as to have no regrets.

22. Packamylase

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sounds good. I think a good class is shaping up at KCUMB!