Upcoming KCUMB Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, folks,

Yup, you guessed it, I'm going to be attending my very first medical school interview ever next week at KCUMB. While I'm somewhat nervous, as to be expected, I'm mostly excited. I've been to many job interviews, and as a project manager, given them. However, I realize that medical school interviews are different. I intend to let go of any technique focus and simply allow myself to flow, with the added intent of getting accepted, of course. :)

That said, I am interested in any sage advice, or feedback, any veterans of medical school interviews have to offer, particularly in regard to the KCUMB process. From scouring the interview feedback forum and from doing a search, I gather that it is rather laid-back. There tends to be some questions of the general sort, such as "Why medicine/DO?", etc., followed by ethics questions. I heard that the students generally brief you on your interviewer(s) before your actual interview. Anything further to add?

Below is a general outline of the day that I found in this forum. Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks for your help! :thumbup:

Here was my day at KCUMB on 10/23. Nice school, nice architecture, modern labs. Friendly people. Class size is about 260 people.

9:00 pickup from Quarterage Hotel or Holiday Inn Express (in Westport, MO). The admissions people provide a shuttle if you stay at these 2 hotels

10:00 all the interviewees meet in almuni conference room: introductions to each other & to the admissions staff; orientation to the school

11:00 tours with KCUMB student ambassadors to anatomy lab, OMM lab, library, clinical patient simulators. Question & answer with KCUMB students. They even walk you through 2 med. classes, and all the med students were starring at us...

11:30 super-long tour of the student apartments across the street (used to be the old osteopathic teaching hospital)

12:00 lunch with other KCUMB students. Everyone was mixed in their small cafeteria. lunch was free, but had to wait a while since the cooks made it for us.

1:00 Gather in student lounge to wait for interviews. You also get to try on a white coat. Interviews were staggered at 30 min each. Get the names & backgrounds of your interviewers (I had 2: one clinical professor & one non-clinical school employee) so you can ask them questions. Interviews start at 1:00 and the last one is at 3:00.

After they interviewed me, they gave me an unlimited amt. of time to ask any question about the school. That was helpful, so be prepared with your own questions. You can leave as soon as your interview.

My interview was at 2pm, and I was free to leave at 2:40pm. I had to catch their admissions office shuttle back to the Quarterage Hotel at 3:00, then I took a friend's car ride to the airport in 30 minutes. I was at the at the KCI airport, bags checked in, security screened by 4:30. My flight was later, at 6pm.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, folks,

Yup, you guessed it, I'm going to be attending my very first medical school interview ever next week at KCUMB. While I'm somewhat nervous, as to be expected, I'm mostly excited. I've been to many job interviews, and as a project manager, given them. However, I realize that medical school interviews are different. I intend to let go of any technique focus and simply allow myself to flow, with the added intent of getting accepted, of course. :)

That said, I am interested in any sage advice, or feedback, any veterans of medical school interviews have to offer, particularly in regard to the KCUMB process. From scouring the interview feedback forum and from doing a search, I gather that it is rather laid-back. There tends to be some questions of the general sort, such as "Why medicine/DO?", etc., followed by ethics questions. I heard that the students generally brief you on your interviewer(s) before your actual interview. Anything further to add?

Below is a general outline of the day that I found in this forum. Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks for your help! :thumbup:
Good luck on it. :thumbup:

lol you seem pretty prepared. i cant imagine what you still need to know. the airport is a lot smaller than i expected; which is good b/c it eases accessibility. i interviewed there 1st and will matriculate in Aug. if you have any specifics feel free to pm me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you familiar with the history of osteopathic medicine? Good Luck.

Some regional questions from my interview:

How did you hear of or learn about KCUMB?

Why would you choose Kansas City, MO? (I almost made the mistake of calling the city Kansas City, KS...)

Do you have friends/relatives in Kansas City, MO?

===

And I got to ask some questions about:

Their "Spirituality in Medicine" Award. They are very proud of this.

The 2nd year med student medical mission to Central America. You get to take an extra-curricular medical Spanish class before you go. A lot of students go in the summer.

The joint DO/MBA program. Very interesting idea, but will keep you very busy all year round. Good for those interested in healthcare management & biotechnology company development.

Good luck with your interview! Always review & prepare with another person if possible. Be yourself, be natural, & go with the goal to really impress!

Good luck, but I don't think you're gonna need it. You're right -- KCUMB's interview process is very informal. It's more like they're trying to sell the school on you than you selling yourself on the school. Just be prepared to answer the big ones like why do, why here, and you're good.

Are you familiar with the history of osteopathic medicine?

At the novice level, I would say. I'm definitely going to review everything before I fly out. Thanks for the heads up and well-wishes. :)

And I got to ask some questions about:

Thanks so much for your insight on possible questions to ask!

It's more like they're trying to sell the school on you than you selling yourself on the school. Just be prepared to answer the big ones like why do, why here, and you're good.

Thanks! I truly feel more at ease hearing this. :thumbup:

The waiting around before your interview is pretty boring and I thought it was unorganized. You get fitted for a white coat and can talk to a fin aid rep. if you want. my biggest piece of advice is to BE YOURSELF! it is alottt easier said than done.
I really messed up my first interview bc i was soo nervous (and accordingliy i was waitlisted there). The next 2 interviews i had were golden and i got into both programs. Good luck. Let me know, if you get in i'll include your name in my letter to KCUMB declining my seat. I'll reserve it for you :laugh:

So, I just flew back from my interview. I always liked KCUMB on paper, but now having visited the school and interviewed there, I absolutely love it. What an amazing medical school. I can totally see myself attending there as a medical student and having a great time. Now, I can only hope the admissions office agrees. The adcomm meets this Friday and said we should be hearing back early next week. :scared:

So, I just flew back from my interview. I always liked KCUMB on paper, but now having visited the school and interviewed there, I absolutely love it. What an amazing medical school. I can totally see myself attending there as a medical student and having a great time. Now, I can only hope the admissions office agrees. The adcomm meets this Friday and said we should be hearing back early next week. :scared:

Well, it sounds like everything went well. I also enjoyed the school, atmosphere, people, etc. I will be going there in the fall, unless I hear some news from my instate. Either way, it'll be a winner. Let us know if you get the good letter!

KCUMB in da HOUSE!!!!

Just opened my mail and got my KCUMB acceptance. Holy crap. I'm on my way to becoming a doctor! :eek: :) :D :thumbup:

It was a heck of long road, but I now find it all worth the tremendous effort. Thanks, everyone, for giving me a hand in the process and for all the encouragement. :)

Just opened my mail and got my KCUMB acceptance. Holy crap. I'm on my way to becoming a doctor! :eek: :) :D :thumbup:

It was a heck of long road, but I now find it all worth the tremendous effort. Thanks, everyone, for giving me hand in the process and for all the encouragement. :)

I can't say I'm surprised, but yay! Congrats!! :thumbup:

It was a heck of long road, but I now find it all worth the tremendous effort. Thanks, everyone, for giving me hand in the process and for all the encouragement. :)

:thumbup: Congratulations!!!! :thumbup:

Congrats. Welcome to the KCUMB crowd.

It was a heck of long road, but I now find it all worth the tremendous effort. Thanks, everyone, for giving me a hand in the process and for all the encouragement. :)

Congratulations!

1st medical school interview and acceptance all within a week. Not bad. Good to see a fellow non-trad on the way to KCUMB. Congratulations.

kealaq said:
Congratulations!

zenhiking said:
1st medical school interview and acceptance all within a week. Not bad. Good to see a fellow non-trad on the way to KCUMB. Congratulations.

Thank you. :) I'm feeling quite excited about what's next and very happy about joining the class of 2011.

Although I am pretty much set on attending KCUMB (going to send in my deposit soon), I'm still going to go to my interview at COMP anyway, to check out the school and my choice thoroughly as to have no regrets.

Thank you. :) I'm feeling quite excited about what's next and very happy about joining the class of 2011.

Although I am pretty much set on attending KCUMB (going to send in my deposit soon), I'm still going to go to my interview at COMP anyway, to check out the school and my choice thoroughly as to have no regrets.

Sounds good. I think a good class is shaping up at KCUMB!