Update Letter Before or After Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Open_Main

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
So I have my interview in a week and was wondering whether I should send an update letter before or after the interview. I'm a Canadian applicant and I had 0 shadowing hours in my original AMCAS app but since then I've shadowed under a doctor. So I want to include that in my update letter plus two additional things which I believe are worth mentioning. I just don't know whether I should do it now or after my interview.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!
So I have my interview in a week and was wondering whether I should send an update letter before or after the interview. I'm a Canadian applicant and I had 0 shadowing hours in my original AMCAS app but since then I've shadowed under a doctor. So I want to include that in my update letter plus two additional things which I believe are worth mentioning. I just don't know whether I should do it now or after my interview.

Thank you!
If you already have an interview, for the love of god don't send an update before that.

I would personally wait until some time (like close to waitlist movement) after the interview and send a mix of update/letter of interest if it's your top choice.

Reactions: 2 users
Ahaha okay good to know! I'm a Canadian applicant, so I just found out what update letters are and got a bit panicked lol.
Thank you for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
another perspective, if during the interview you don't have the opportunity to mention the updates, then you may already be scored after the interview. i don't think there is a right or wrong answer, but i think it is fine to update them before the interview and express your excitement to meet everyone soon. at least then you can know for sure they'll know your update before they reach a decision after the interview. good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
another perspective, if during the interview you don't have the opportunity to mention the updates, then you may already be scored after the interview. i don't think there is a right or wrong answer, but i think it is fine to update them before the interview and express your excitement to meet everyone soon. at least then you can know for sure they'll know your update before they reach a decision after the interview. good luck!
That's a good point