Update Letter this early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sd328

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently completed a summer internship and presented a poster at a symposium. They had judges at the symposium and I won Best Overall Poster.

This isn't on my primary app or secondaries (all of which I've submitted within the past 2 weeks). I haven't heard anything from any school yet, but I'd hate to be rejected without them having this info.

Is it reasonable to send an update letter (either by sending an email or uploading under the additional info tabs) this early in the cycle? Like, before I've heard anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Not all schools allow updates. So you would have to check and see if that's the case. Did you mention the internship on your primary or secondaries.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

The internship isn't on my primary, and it's only on secondaries where they ask for updates. I would only be sending it to schools that accept update of course

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not. You need cards in your pocket for late game. This accomplishment isn't going to make the difference between an interview. But it is something that can be packaged with an update/intent letter after an interview and positively influence the committee if they're on the fence.

Reactions: 3 users
Is it too early to send an update about an accepted publication? (First author pub)

Is it too early to send an update about an accepted publication? (First author pub)
Yes refer to my advice above. If you don't get interviews by like November then you can send it. It's too early.

Reactions: 1 user