Update Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pastamahn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has been beaten into the ground pretty well, but I have a question about a fairly specific situation.

I interviewed at a school that is one of my top schools, and at the end of the day the dean of admissions went out of his/her way to tell us interviewees how they really want to hear back from us and really want updates along the way. Also, the school deals with acceptance decisions later than a lot of schools and I wanted to send an update during the downtime.

Although the dean seemed like she really wanted an update, would this still probably only apply to major updates? Even if they really want to hear back from us, I'm curious how much the letters would influence the decision, if at all. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I know this topic has been beaten into the ground pretty well, but I have a question about a fairly specific situation.

I interviewed at a school that is one of my top schools, and at the end of the day the dean of admissions went out of his/her way to tell us interviewees how they really want to hear back from us and really want updates along the way. Also, the school deals with acceptance decisions later than a lot of schools and I wanted to send an update during the downtime.

Although the dean seemed like she really wanted an update, would this still probably only apply to major updates? Even if they really want to hear back from us, I'm curious how much the letters would influence the decision, if at all. Thoughts?
You might not be able to gauge the appropriateness of your own updates for the update letter objectively, lol. How about giving us just a general idea of what you're planning on updating the school with?

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you hear back in February/March/April, send an update in December or January about what you've been doing. Hopefully you didn't just drop all your responsibilities when you applied to medical school. Get something accomplished, and then send them a letter to show that 1) you're still very interested (which they probably know, but probably won't hurt to say) and 2) you haven't just been sitting on your hands. Don't update them with mundane things like grades, update them with things you've done! Perhaps you've presented a poster at a conference (even an intra-university conference!), or you've taken up more responsibilities in your volunteering role, or the underclassmen you tutored is now at the top of their class. Doesn't have to be that dramatic, but it has to show that you've been working diligently and efficiently and you're the type of student that they want at their school.

Is this for washu? I got the feeling they want major updates only but that's very subjective