Update letters after interview invite but before interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rogerthaat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently drafting some update letters to schools that I interviewed at last semester. I am sending my fall grades as well as reporting on the progress of my senior thesis research.

However, I have a bunch more interviews scheduled in January/February. Does it make sense to update these schools now, while the grades are fresh? Or should I wait until I can add a paragraph about my impression of the school? I don't foresee that I will have anything further to add to my application until I defend my thesis in April.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently drafting some update letters to schools that I interviewed at last semester. I am sending my fall grades as well as reporting on the progress of my senior thesis research.

However, I have a bunch more interviews scheduled in January/February. Does it make sense to update these schools now, while the grades are fresh? Or should I wait until I can add a paragraph about my impression of the school? I don't foresee that I will have anything further to add to my application until I defend my thesis in April.

I probably wouldn't update the schools you received an interview at. Just talk about your updates at the interview itself (i.e. your research project). If you don't get a chance to talk about these things, then write one combined LOI (if applicable), thank you and update letter AFTER your interview.

I probably wouldn't update the schools you received an interview at. Just talk about your updates at the interview itself (i.e. your research project). If you don't get a chance to talk about these things, then write one combined LOI (if applicable), thank you and update letter AFTER your interview.
I would suggest sending the letter after the interview, even if you discussed your relevant details with an interviewer, as you can't assume those details will be adequately summarized and added to your file where everyone later reviewing it can appreciate them.