Update schools with new grades even if GPA went down (high GPA)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med16484

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my friend just received his grades for the semester and received all A’s except for one course BCPM course where he got an A-. He already had a very high cGPA and sGPA (both above 3.95) so technically now both of his GPA’s have gone down. Is it worth updating schools he has already interviewed at but waiting a decision on with this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, my friend just received his grades for the semester and received all A’s except for one course BCPM course where he got an A-. He already had a very high cGPA and sGPA (both above 3.95) so technically now both of his GPA’s have gone down. Is it worth updating schools he has already interviewed at but waiting a decision on with this?
probably went down by 0.001 and he wants to send an update?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
probably went down by 0.001 and he wants to send an update?
I believe it’s down to around a 3.93-3.94 (not sure). He was thinking another semester of good grades may look good

I believe it’s down to around a 3.93-3.94 (not sure). He was thinking another semester of good grades may look good
One A- for a senior student should not make that much difference with GPA and no school care about minor fluctuations

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
One A- for a senior student make that difference with GPA and no school care about minor fluctuations
This^^^^^. An update is literally something new and potentially material. Even if they were straight As, it wouldn't be worthy of an update to a 3.95+ application. A semester that actually results in a GPA going down, even by .001, is not a positive and certainly wouldn't help, so no reason to send it.

I understand your friend might be looking for an excuse to make contact with the adcom, but a 3.95 applicant "updating" an application by writing to tell the adcom about a 3.93 semester is not an update, it's just annoying. It's immaterial, and it's negative. A 3.7 applicant updating to tell about a 4.0 semester would be something worth sending. Not this.

Reactions: 2 users
Those are fine!!!
A drop from 3.95+ to 3.93 is not a drop

Why an up-date? It is not as if his prior GPA was holding him back and this latest semester shows great improvement. What does the up-date accomplish? It is a waste of time to send and a waste of time to read.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
There is no reason to communicate a trivial change in GPA that will have zero effect on his candidacy.

It is not routine to update with new grades. This practice is typically only advisable if the applicant is undertaking GPA repair or otherwise trying to demonstrate recent academic success. As others have noted, this is not the case with you, so an update would be pointless.

Reactions: 1 users
It is not routine to update with new grades. This practice is typically only advisable if the applicant is undertaking GPA repair or otherwise trying to demonstrate recent academic success. As others have noted, this is not the case with you, so an update would be pointless.
Do you recommend including current GPA (even though not much changed) if sending other updates?