Updated Chance me Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torachan17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an updated version of a post I made asking if I have to get into pharmacy school or take a masters degree. Here are my stats so far:
B.S. in Cell & Molecular Biology
General GPA: 3.12
Science GPA: ~2.80 (approximately)

These GPA's are from my school not from PHARMCAS, my app has not been verified. Took the PCAT for the first time on Jan and these were my scores:
Bio: 63
Chem: 61
Reading: 23
Math: 21
Composite: 41

I will retake it in February. I'm also retaking some pre-reqs (my worst classes during bachelors) and been doing good. Retook General Chemistry II and got an A, currently retaking Organic Chemistry I and will be retaking O.Chem II. Have plenty of volunteer work, research at a pharmacy school, worked as a lab assistant & a tutor for many years.

I've been invited to interview for a masters in medical sciences program and don't know whether to take it. My dream is to be a pharmacist no matter what but I have to consider if I don't get into pharmacy school. So what are my chances?? Be honest & assertive.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying to pharmacy schools this cycle or next? i.e. Fall 2018 admission or fall 2019 admission? Also disregarding your current and planned retakes, did you earn at least a C in all of your prerequisites? How did you study for the January PCAT and how do you plan to study for the February PCAT?

Are you applying to pharmacy schools this cycle or next? i.e. Fall 2018 admission or fall 2019 admission? Also disregarding your current and planned retakes, did you earn at least a C in all of your prerequisites? How did you study for the January PCAT and how do you plan to study for the February PCAT?
I'm applying for Fall 2018
I've earned A's & B's in the majority of my pre-reqs (C's in Calculus & Physics I) My worst grades were the classes that I'm retaking right now. For the Jan PCAT did not study as much as I would've wanted to because I was studying for my Chem class. I have Dr. Collins, Kaplan, Pearson Guide & Pearson Practice Exams. I understand Math was my lowest score because I haven't taken it in a very long time (~5 years), however since I'm an avid reader I was really dissappointed with my reading score :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Consider whether a masters will be beneficial to you. A lot of pharmacy students got in without a bachelors degree so think if the cost is worth it to you. If I were you, I would focus on getting those grades up and bringing the PCAT score up to a 70% composite. Keep working hard, you got this :)

I'm applying for Fall 2018
I've earned A's & B's in the majority of my pre-reqs (C's in Calculus & Physics I) My worst grades were the classes that I'm retaking right now. For the Jan PCAT did not study as much as I would've wanted to because I was studying for my Chem class. I have Dr. Collins, Kaplan, Pearson Guide & Pearson Practice Exams. I understand Math was my lowest score because I haven't taken it in a very long time (~5 years), however since I'm an avid reader I was really dissappointed with my reading score :(
That reading killed me too, I was burnt out from the other three sections and I inadvertently took 6 minutes longer on my break

This is an updated version of a post I made asking if I have to get into pharmacy school or take a masters degree. Here are my stats so far:

These GPA's are from my school not from PHARMCAS, my app has not been verified. Took the PCAT for the first time on Jan and these were my scores:

I will retake it in February. I'm also retaking some pre-reqs (my worst classes during bachelors) and been doing good. Retook General Chemistry II and got an A, currently retaking Organic Chemistry I and will be retaking O.Chem II. Have plenty of volunteer work, research at a pharmacy school, worked as a lab assistant & a tutor for many years.

I've been invited to interview for a masters in medical sciences program and don't know whether to take it. My dream is to be a pharmacist no matter what but I have to consider if I don't get into pharmacy school. So what are my chances?? Be honest & assertive.
There are schools out there that don’t require a PCAT or even a BS degree. So, if you’re okay with attending any pharmacy school, then I’d say you’d have a chance getting in as long as you had excellent letters of recommendations too. However if you’re adamant to only attend top tier schools, then honestly I would work on increasing your PCAT score. As for your low gpa, it seems you’re working hard to improve your grades. You could always write about why you had low scores to begin with in your personal statement, and then go on to write how your current grades are now. How did you improve your grades? What study techniques changed? Etc. Good Luck!

Don't wait and apply as soon as possible. You will be accepted because you have good stats. I know some students who got in with low GPA's and PCAT scores.

Consider whether a masters will be beneficial to you. A lot of pharmacy students got in without a bachelors degree so think if the cost is worth it to you. If I were you, I would focus on getting those grades up and bringing the PCAT score up to a 70% composite. Keep working hard, you got this :)
Thank you!!! I'm working very hard on those classes! Next week I have the PCAT so let's see how it goes. The masters degree would be a plan B or C just in case I don't get in for this cycle

Reactions: 1 user
Don't wait and apply as soon as possible. You will be accepted because you have good stats. I know some students who got in with low GPA's and PCAT scores.
Thank you! I'm applying for this cycle, let's see how it goes.

There are schools out there that don’t require a PCAT or even a BS degree. So, if you’re okay with attending any pharmacy school, then I’d say you’d have a chance getting in as long as you had excellent letters of recommendations too. However if you’re adamant to only attend top tier schools, then honestly I would work on increasing your PCAT score. As for your low gpa, it seems you’re working hard to improve your grades. You could always write about why you had low scores to begin with in your personal statement, and then go on to write how your current grades are now. How did you improve your grades? What study techniques changed? Etc. Good Luck!
Thank you! I did talk about the bad grades and improvement in my personal statement. I'm not aiming for top schools, as long as it's accredited and get it I'm good.

Update!!
I took the PCAT the second time on Feb 13th. Come to think of it I should not have given it a second round. These were my scores:
Chem:26
Reading: 37
Math: 35
Composite: 37

It wasn't that much of a difference. I don't know if these scores affect my chances??

Update!!
I took the PCAT the second time on Feb 13th. Come to think of it I should not have given it a second round. These were my scores:
Chem:26
Reading: 37
Math: 35
Composite: 37

It wasn't that much of a difference. I don't know if these scores affect my chances??
I think some schools may look at your highest score (without superscoring). But like DailyDaisies said, if you're wantitng to get into a top tier school, this PCAT is not looking too good. But if that's not your aim, I've seen on other threads where someone got into pharmacy school with a 7% composite so....
Just work on bringing your GPA up, especially your science GPA.

Update: Just got my PHARMCAS application verified and my cumulativr GPA is 3.02 and my science GPA is 2.50 :\. Retaking O.Chem I and doing better, taking O. Chem II next trimester. The grades of last two I will have the official transcript, will they take them into account??

Update: Just got my PHARMCAS application verified and my cumulativr GPA is 3.02 and my science GPA is 2.50 :\. Retaking O.Chem I and doing better, taking O. Chem II next trimester. The grades of last two I will have the official transcript, will they take them into account??
Just do better the second time you will be ok. Get involved, do well on your PCAT. Be able to explain why u didn't do well the first time...

I believe when you send in your official transcripts, the schools you applied to can see your new GPA.