updated dat and one other specific question..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spndental22

Reaction score
Hey there, so I recently posted in here and now have my DAT scores so I just wanted to ask a couple things about my current prospects.
I am considering applying LATE, like middle to end of November to UoP, and I know that since it is so late the chances are close to none but wanted to get an update and then also ask about their letter of rec stuff ( below). So I know it's crazy to apply to one school and so late but I am from SF and just wanted to put it out as a hail mary basically because of the amount of time it would save me.
My undergrad GPA from UCLA is a 3.7, and my post bacc (science) gpa from an Ivy league school is 3.9
My DAT scores are-- AA: 24 Bio/GC/Orgo/RC/QR: 28/26/23/22/22 PAT: 21 TS: 26

I decided kinda late about dentistry (was pre med, but am very confident in this choice) and will have around 50 hours of shadowing by the time I apply, shadowing a couple of general dentists and an orthodontist. My volunteering is pretty weak, I was very involved with an organization in high school through early college and have just now started getting involved again. So I am just interested in whether the DAT score really makes a difference or in general, if anyone has heard of mid November acceptances/ if I would be competitive as one even though it's so late. Also disclaimer- I have already gotten my transcripts sent in so you don't need to factor that into the app time. The reason I am waiting is because of the shadowing hours.

ALSO for the more specific question- I wanted to see if anyone knew whether schools that don't specify which science class professor a letter of rec needs to come from may accept a calculus professor or if they really mean chem/bio classes. Specifically since that is where I might apply now (although I'd like to know for next year too for other schools! ) does anyone know if UoP would accept a calculus professor and/ or a Chemistry Lab professor? (the chemistry lab professor for the lecture part of chem lab- so this was the lecturer not my TA or anything) If this is a question I should ask the admissions directly I'll be sure to do so but just thought i'd see if anyone knew!
Thanks so much! Also to everyone that responded to me last time, it has been very helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

If you apply mid-November, your scores/transcripts could take upwards of 2 weeks to be verified, so that would bring you to application complete status at the beginning of December. Since your volunteering and shadowing hours are low, I would seriously consider just waiting for next cycle, but that's totally up to you and your confidence in your personal statement and letters of evaluation.

If you apply mid-November, your scores/transcripts could take upwards of 2 weeks to be verified, so that would bring you to application complete status at the beginning of December. Since your volunteering and shadowing hours are low, I would seriously consider just waiting for next cycle, but that's totally up to you and your confidence in your personal statement and letters of evaluation.

Oh, I didn't realize that they can't be verified before you submit, so it will take two weeks after I send it in for the app to be reviewed? This is really good to know! I am highly considering not applying this cycle, and I am definitely not expecting to get in if I do. It is just that it would be amazing to save that time if by some miracle I did get in. But I do want to be realistic and this helps ! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I didn't realize that they can't be verified before you submit, so it will take two weeks after I send it in for the app to be reviewed? This is really good to know! I am highly considering not applying this cycle, and I am definitely not expecting to get in if I do. It is just that it would be amazing to save that time if by some miracle I did get in. But I do want to be realistic and this helps ! Thank you!
That I don't know. I hadn't thought about the idea of verification before submitting. Maybe someone else could speak to that point.

I was under the impression that you can only get verified after submitting and that the process does take two weeks or more, but anybody, please correct me if I'm wrong.

applying this late with low shadowing and no science prof LOR is not a good idea
add in the fact that you were pre-med, the adcom will question your knowledge and commitment to dentistry

address those concerns over the next 6-8 months and apply IMMEDIATELY next cycle and you will have a solid chance

Reactions: 1 user
applying this late with low shadowing and no science prof LOR is not a good idea
add in the fact that you were pre-med, the adcom will question your knowledge and commitment to dentistry

address those concerns over the next 6-8 months and apply IMMEDIATELY next cycle and you will have a solid chance

Okay, thanks! So are you saying it will actually hurt my chances next cycle by applying this one, or are you just saying that I won't get in basically? I know I've seen people on here say the reason you don't want to reapply is due to the fact that you need to prove your app changed, but since mine will naturally change (way more shadowing and volunteer hours, also have a science prof that agreed for next cycle) I wasn't so sure it mattered in THAT sense for myself. Does it hurt in other ways that you know of?

Okay, thanks! So are you saying it will actually hurt my chances next cycle by applying this one, or are you just saying that I won't get in basically? I know I've seen people on here say the reason you don't want to reapply is due to the fact that you need to prove your app changed, but since mine will naturally change (way more shadowing and volunteer hours, also have a science prof that agreed for next cycle) I wasn't so sure it mattered in THAT sense for myself. Does it hurt in other ways that you know of?
You would also have to write a brand new personal statement basically immediately after writing the one for this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, I didn't realize that they can't be verified before you submit, so it will take two weeks after I send it in for the app to be reviewed?
Your DAT scores will be uploaded to your app 2-4 weeks after you took it but your GPAs will only be verified by the ADEA when you have paid for at least 1 school, and this verification process can take anywhere from a few days to 2-4 weeks. Schools will only receive your application once it is verified by the ADEA, and then after that they will review on their own to see if you meet their requirements/have anything missing. Then when the school decides you're complete, it'll be sent to an admissions committee for them to review to see if they want to interview you. This entire process takes a really long time, and submitting in November means you'll be complete in December, and by then seats will already have been filled as people put their deposits down. You were pre-med and frankly don't have enough shadowing hours, so I wouldn't apply this late this cycle. Save your money and time and submit when the cycle opens next year so you're not a reapplicant (to at least UoP). I think it may look naive of you to submit this late knowing your chances aren't very good....just my opinion though. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Reactions: 2 users

the chances of you getting in this cycle are very, very low at this point

Not only are you throwing away money next cycle you will have to say you’ve applied to dental school before and will get questioned over this.

If you have met all the requirements for UOP, I would throw that hail mary and see what happen. You never know, and worst case you only be out a few hundreds applying to one school. And don't believe the hype that goes along with being a reapplicant. Some schools see that as dedication to the field. You also dont have to completely write a new personal statement, just add new experiences to the one you currently have. Your stats are crazy good, so if i was in your shoe, i go for it. Good luck.

Your DAT scores will be uploaded to your app 2-4 weeks after you took it but your GPAs will only be verified by the ADEA when you have paid for at least 1 school, and this verification process can take anywhere from a few days to 2-4 weeks. Schools will only receive your application once it is verified by the ADEA, and then after that they will review on their own to see if you meet their requirements/have anything missing. Then when the school decides you're complete, it'll be sent to an admissions committee for them to review to see if they want to interview you. This entire process takes a really long time, and submitting in November means you'll be complete in December, and by then seats will already have been filled as people put their deposits down. You were pre-med and frankly don't have enough shadowing hours, so I wouldn't apply this late this cycle. Save your money and time and submit when the cycle opens next year so you're not a reapplicant (to at least UoP). I think it may look naive of you to submit this late knowing your chances aren't very good....just my opinion though. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for the clarification and advice! I am leaning towards just applying next year and this really helps! I've definitely gotten the sense on here that people feel like it is naive to apply late, but UoP does specifically say they "recommend applying no later than November" even though they are actually open to applicants until February 1st. Do you know why there is this connotation even though they specifically include all of November within their recommended timeline? Otherwise I do agree with you and think I will probably have to wait until next year, I just wanted to ask about that because it's something I've been confused about! Thank you!!

but UoP does specifically say they "recommend applying no later than November" even though they are actually open to applicants until February 1st. Do you know why there is this connotation even though they specifically include all of November within their recommended timeline?
Schools love money, and they'll happily take your money whether it's now or on January 30th. It's one way they make money- via those secondary applications/fees. You don't have a fair chance though as pre-Dec interviews are mostly filled up for most schools, and almost all schools are rolling (first come-submit, first served-interviewed/accepted). I would think those suggestions/deadlines are for those with certain circumstances, like military for example, which prevented them from applying earlier and thus they would be reviewed differently.

Edit: As for what dentalman said, I don't think your situation and reapplying next year would look like dedication to the field. It would maybe seem more like you making a hasty decision with 50 hours and pre-med experience and just throwing a hook out there to see what you can catch without doing appropriate research beforehand. Just my opinion though!

Reactions: 1 users
Artist2022, I completely agreed with you that being a reapplicant in OP situation for next year will not help him, but it wouldnt hurt him also. Chances are very slim, but crazier things has happened. I just look at it like playing the lottery, the only things OP is risking is a few hundreds to hit the jackpot. If he willing to part with that money and met all the requirements, why not take the gamble. No harm, no foul. He can still continues to make more inprovement in the meantime as he prepares for next cycle.

I would go ahead and apply to 1 or 2 schools and see what happens. This is strictly my opinion. Take it as you will. You have good stats and as long as you explain that you are shadowing and meet all of the other requirements, you may be surprised what happens. Good luck.