updated military benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalguy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,104359,00.html

For those of you considering the military, I'm sure all of you have looked at the stipends and monetary benefits. As it has been said before, you should not do it solely for the money. However, the shortage in dental and medical students signing up for the military has shrank since the Iraq/Afghanistan era. This increase looks very appealing but I have no idea when it would be passed by Congress. It sounds like it could be by this fall but who knows. I thought this may make difference. I have received both the Army and Navy scholarship and have done EXTENSIVE research on it. My decision changes every day but if anyone wants to discuss this you can PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

Good information on the link. Unfortunately, you never really know what happens until congress votes and the president signs. As a veteran I cannot stress enough that this should not be about the money. You either really believe in the mission and the power of the spear or you don't. Tons of great information about the pros and cons is out there on the web. Choose wisely.

reapply2007 said:
Good information on the link. Unfortunately, you never really know what happens until congress votes and the president signs. As a veteran I cannot stress enough that this should not be about the money. You either really believe in the mission and the power of the spear or you don't. Tons of great information about the pros and cons is out there on the web. Choose wisely.

I'm not sure how much calculating you have done and yes I do know not to do it for the money. My gut is to not do it but then again its so hard to pass up on the education. I do have an interest in serving, but then again I don't like the idea of being away from my significant other, if I have one at that time. I have been talking with several navy dentists, one of which is on the USS Theordore Roosevelt. He said its great but it is very hard being away from his wife. He is gone on short deployments (1-4 weeks) and maybe still will hit a 6-9 month deployment. You said you were a veteran, were you enlisted? What was your view on the life while in the military. Did you happent to see how dentists lived and what it was like on an officers end vs. enlisted?

Members don't see this ad :)
reapply2007 said:

Your right....and the way things are right now with all the federal spending cutbacks especially in education and military,( yes you heard me right, they are cutting back in military spending,), There is a big Chance that this will get rejected.

Maybe the 200,000 after med/dent school thing will pass, but I doubt the scholarship thing will pass.

Just my opinion,

It is impossible to be in the military and not realize the differences between enlisted and officer lifestyles. A google search for military lifestyle will pull up more information than you can shake a stick at.

As a dentist you will be commissioned as a "noncombatant" and treated by most of the combatant "line" as not a "real" officer as your training and disposition as a medic is not the same as most of the line. The military medical community's reputation is to overthink processes, to lack military discipline, be top heavy in rank structure, to not be fully responsive to the rest of the military's needs, and to be riddled with barriers to receiving medical attention. Not all of these stereotypes are without merit.

Enlisted troops cannot go to a doctor's appointment without permission of their supervisor. However, supervisors can command direct subordinates to go to mental health evaluations, urinalysis, or medical visits if they see fit. If a military doctor decides someone is too sick to work or deploy the individual's supervisor can order the individual to go back to work or deploy just the same. As such, most people go to doctor's visits because they must.

Dentists' work falls mostly between annual exams for all active duty troops and sick call. Ask a recruiter if you can speak with a military dentist that has been in the military less than 5 years-someone who still remembers how life as a civilian feels. If you are close to a military installation find out, either call the installation dental clinic or ask your recruiter, if you can shadow a military dentist for a couple days (get someone ranked O-3) and you can see about where you'll be when you finish school. You should be able to get pretty good information.

Military Lifestyle problem not related to health care-you live in military housing, your dog barks at neighbor's cat, you cannot get the dog to stop barking unless you leave the dog in the house all day. The neighbor calls installation police, they show up, see the dog in your filthy house and the yard with dog poop and note it as such in their report. The police ask you to keep your dog quiet. The next day at work your supervisor calls you in to tell you that they read the police report and want you to either move, get rid of the dog, get the dog surgically corrected, or figure out a way to keep the police from coming to your house. You are on duty 24/7 and your dog is interfering with your career.

Military medicine is a similar issue for most of the military, a distraction from the real job until you need it-then you need to talk to your supervisor, work the appointments around your work schedule and try to not be sick enough to miss work, as your supervisor may take issue with your illness. Long term illnesses and your supervisor may decide it is easier to just discharge you instead of dealing with your constant absenteeism and malingering.