Updated on my Postbac Journey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medgoal2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First of all, I would like to say thank you for taking your times look over my post. Here are my information from the last time I post a thread on SDN:

Undergraduate: Graduated in Dec 2015 at University of Nebraska-Lincoln (with state residency)

Majors: Biological System Engineering with emphasis on Biomedical and dual matriculation with Biochemistry

MCAT: Took practice tests and average around 510. Schedule to take it in May 2020.

GPA (before postbacc): 3.39x cGPA and low 3.5x BCPM (with science engineering courses that I can count for BCPM)

My last 4 semesters of UG (not overall GPA): 3.8+ ----> 3.7+ ---> 3.8+ ---> 3.57 (maybe upward trend?)

Return back to my undergraduate college in Fall 2017 and been taking courses ever since with mostly A+

Fall 2017: 11 credits

Spring 2018: 20 credits

Fall 2018: 18 credits

Spring 2019: 16 credits

Fall 2019 (current): 13 credits

DYI PostBacc GPA up to now: 4.0 GPA

Overall GPA for cGPA and BCPM: 3.59x cGPA and medium 3.62x BCPM after last semester

Took courses like: Gerontology, Evolution, Ecology, Immunology, Endocrinology, Functional Histology, Behavioral Neuroscience, Molecular Genetic, Molecular Biology, Biology of Viruses, System Biology, Anatomy with cadaver lab, Sociology, etc. Most of these courses are A+

Volunteering/Leadership:

Clinical: ~120 hours

TAed for Immunology (not paid), Microbiology Lab (paid), BIOS I, a 4xx level engineering course, and will be TAing for microbiology this upcoming semester(2 lab sections).

Shadowing: 32 hours

Research: ~3 months of summer volunteered research at University of Houston-Downtown before postbacc (spent about 5+ hours every day in lab except for weekend)

That is all for now. Currently, I am registering for 12 credit hours for next semester; I only need one course to shoot for overall 3.60 cGPA and I would love to take Cancer Biology for it. Is it fine to take only one course and focus my time on studying for the MCAT or may be a problem for adcom to notice that I am not doing full time? Please let me know what you guys think. Again, thank you for the feedbacks!

Members don't see this ad.

So you did 78 credits of reinvention and achieved a 4.0 GPA in your DIY post bac? Nice job..

It's safe to ease up on your course load and begin focusing on the MCAT. I don't think it will be a red flag.

It is completely fine to take one class and focus on studying for the mcat. Nice work raising your GPA, that took a lot of effort. You have definitely demonstrated you can handle a rigorous medical school course load with the years of straight A classes. Now focus on your mcat score which will be very heavily weighted in your application. Good luck!

Thanks guys! The feedbacks very reassurance. I just need to make sure that I will be busy this upcoming semester to prevent any red flag pops up.