[UPDATED] WAMC/BrutalHonesty/TopHeavy/RegisteredNurse/URM/sGPA 4.0 MCAT 522

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hecropabel

Reaction score
1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
sGPA: 4.00 / uGPA: 3.83 / cGPA: 3.86
2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
522 (131/129/130/132)
3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
IN
4. Ethnicity and/or race
URM, Mexican-American
5. Undergraduate institution or category
State University Satellite Campus
6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
Spanish interpreter @ Free clinic- 7 yrs for 6 hours a week = 1200 hours
Nurse Apprentice (inpatient) - 1 yr for 25 hours a week = 1250 hours
Registered Nurse (inpatient/ICU/Stepdown)- 1 yr for 36 hours a week = 1200 hours
Registered Nurse (Operating Room)- Future job for gap year starts in June will be 36 hours a week
7. Research experience and productivity
Summer Research Program with Podium Presentation - 40hr/week = 320 hours
8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
IM = 24 hrs total
FM = 100 hrs total
Cardiology = 50 hrs total
Ortho = 16 hrs total
Plastic Surgery = 6 hrs total
Pulmonology/Critical Care = 10 hrs total
Peds Critical Care = 4 hrs total
9. Non-clinical volunteering
Elementary School mentor @ Title I school (low SES) - 2 years for 6 hrs a week = 700 hours
10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Founding President of Mentorship Organization for low SES Hispanic elementary school students- 430 hrs (14 mentors/17 students)
Student Government Senator - 500hrs
11. Relevant honors or awards
Dean's List x9
Top Gen Chem Student x1
Prestigious Local Scholarship/First male to ever win
12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
Great writer, a plethora of clinical experience as a frontline worker as a PCT and RN, "grand purpose" of paving the way for the new generation of Hispanic physicians and being a leader in clinical medicine. Immigrant/English struggles as moved to USA halfway through middle school.

SCHOOL LIST (ONLY INTERESTED IN GOING TO STATE SCHOOL OR GREATER):
**VERY INTERESTED IN SCHOLARSHIP OPPS SUCH AS FULL-COA/TUITION/ETC**

Harvard
Hopkins
UPenn
Columbia
Stanford
UCSF
Duke
Wash U.
Vanderbilt
Yale
NYU
Weill Cornell
Mayo
Northwestern
Pitt
UMich
UChicago
Mt. Sinai
UCLA
Baylor
UTSW
Case
UNC
Ohio State
UVA
Indiana

I received my MCAT score back and formulated a school list. Advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Lol, you’re more than fine! I’m also a URM with similar stats(4.0/520) but a worse EC resume that applied last cycle with a similarly top heavy list. Apply wherever you want! Just make sure you follow the basic rules of the game(try to submit early, write well and talk about your experiences as a URM, prep for interviews well) and you’ll have a bunch of acceptances. Since you mentioned being interested in schools that are known for being really generous with aid, I know that UPenn, WashU, UChicago, and NYU(obviously) give really nice merit aid. Also don’t forget to add Einstein because they’re now tuition free! I’m sure others on the list give good aid too, but those are the ones I know off the top of my head from your list! Anyways, good luck. You’ll have a great cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you grow up in Indiana? FAP eligible?

Connect with LMSA chapters at the schools where you want to attend. Ask the student officers to identify potential mentors they love at each school.

I agree, Einstein and NYU should be on your list, and you should not be afraid to shoot high. Contemplate if you want to go to Texas as OOS (since you have Baylor, UTSW; consider Dell and perhaps A&M... your one app can go to all the schools on a flat fee).

Reactions: 1 user
Lol, you’re more than fine! I’m also a URM with similar stats(4.0/520) but a worse EC resume that applied last cycle with a similarly top heavy list. Apply wherever you want! Just make sure you follow the basic rules of the game(try to submit early, write well and talk about your experiences as a URM, prep for interviews well) and you’ll have a bunch of acceptances. Since you mentioned being interested in schools that are known for being really generous with aid, I know that UPenn, WashU, UChicago, and NYU(obviously) give really nice merit aid. Also don’t forget to add Einstein because they’re now tuition free! I’m sure others on the list give good aid too, but those are the ones I know off the top of my head from your list! Anyways, good luck. You’ll have a great cycle!
Thank you so much!

Did you grow up in Indiana? FAP eligible?

Connect with LMSA chapters at the schools where you want to attend. Ask the student officers to identify potential mentors they love at each school.

I agree, Einstein and NYU should be on your list, and you should not be afraid to shoot high. Contemplate if you want to go to Texas as OOS (since you have Baylor, UTSW; consider Dell and perhaps A&M... your one app can go to all the schools on a flat fee).
I grew up in Indiana from middle school to right now, otherwise I was born in Mexico. I am not FAP eligible. Is connecting with LMSA chapters something I should do when I start receiving interviews?

I think you're in great shape. Was the elementary mentoring more of tutoring or?

You're concerned about money but didn't include Einstein? Just make sure you meet their letter requirements.