Updating CV for Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raiderette

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided to take a research year due to medical issues. I am spending a bit of time updating my CV. I have a lot of volunteer activities directly related to my intended field, as well as a few jobs that would count toward work experience. Do most people put undergraduate information on the CV for residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I am doing ob/gyn most likely.i have years of related volunteer work, including related research. That is exactly what I wanted to include, also work and volunteer opportunities with Planned Parenthood.

Include research experiences. Especially if something came out of the project.

Include extensive paid experiences (so not you worked 2 weekends and got paid $500, but you spent a semester or longer working, or a recurrent summer job, etc). And include them if they were important to you. I worked as a phlebotomist for 1.5 years before med school and I keep that on my CV not only to explain the long gap,between college and med school, but also to illustrate that I know systems outside of the typical physician experiences.

Everything else... decide what matters to you. If you’re interested in teaching, include the TAing you did. If you’re interested in working in underserved communities, include long term communit service opportunities. If you’re interested in pediatrics, include extensive experiences with kids (not the one weekend you volunteered for something).