Updating Vet Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bullfrogab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At this point, all application materials have been submitted and locked in, so to speak, to all vet schools. I am currently doing new work that was not described in my application and I want to let vet schools know about it. Is there an appropriate time to send an update? Basically, I am trying to get some input about when/to whom/what I should send as an update to schools, if at all. If anyone could provide feedback I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know a lot of schools ignore emails/calls/letters with updates. BUT, this would be a GREAT thing to bring up in your interview(s)! Many schools specifically ask what you've done since submitting your application, and it's always important to have something to say here, and even better if it's something new and exciting you can explain :) Even if they don't ask you specifically, plan to weave it into conversation if you think it would be a topic worth discussing . . .

If its something really significant to your application, I'd let them know. I finished a master's thesis during last years admin cycle (it was late November) and I let schools know about it I put in my application that I was expecting to graduate so I wanted to let them know I actually did it. Granted I wasn't accepted anywhere, but from what I remember most if not all sent me an email back saying basically thanks for the update and that they'd add it to my file.

Members don't see this ad :)
The school I'm applying to (AVC) doesn't allow updates, except for transcript marks of courses you're enrolled in, and GRE scores.
Everybody is locked in completely, so judgement is made on the amount of experience you had as of November 1st.
No idea how many schools do things this way though.

In general, I don't think it will hurt. However, I agree that it would be an excellent thing for interview time when those come around. Also, some schools (Wisconsin, at least) ask for that kind of info in their supplemental.

So I'm about to send out transcripts soon to update schools on the fall semester, and I just had a second author journal article published. Wondering if anyone knows the best way to update schools about this....except for UC davis, I've either already had a interview or the school doesn't do interviews (or I got rejected).
I think it's something I should update them about, just want to find the best way to do it.

thanks!

I've been wondering something very similar! In my mind, (most) schools want to be updated with fall grades, so why wouldn't they want to know about other improved aspects of your application? That is only my reasoning, though. Is it appropriate to let them know about new veterinary experience? A month after applications were due, I took a great job at an equine hospital. I do physical exams and treatments/meds for the inpatients . I'm also now training to work in the OR . So far, I've racked up about 315 hours at this job and it will be close to 500 hours by the end of January. I think this is pretty significant given that equine med is my desired focus. What do you all think - is it appropriate to let the schools know? :confused:

I understand the "update them at the interview" idea, but one of my schools doesn't interview OOS students (Oklahoma State) and I haven't received an interview invitation from the other yet (VMRCVM)...

If the number of hrs accumulated is significant to your app then i may try to tell them (if you gained 400 hrs but you have a total of 3000 hrs of previous experience then it is not significant. If you gained 400 hrs and your previous experience was only 300 hrs then it is significant). Or, if you have no LA experience and now you have hundreds of hrs in LA then that is a big deal. Just be nice and realize they may just turn you down right away on the phone.

If the school offers no interviews i would call and let them know, hopefully they are willing to listen but keep in mind they have a right to shut you down because the application processes is over.

Try to be realistic with determining whether or not this new info could really make or break a decision. If you have any doubt, leave it to bring up during the interview

If the number of hrs accumulated is significant to your app then i may try to tell them (if you gained 400 hrs but you have a total of 3000 hrs of previous experience then it is not significant. If you gained 400 hrs and your previous experience was only 300 hrs then it is significant). Or, if you have no LA experience and now you have hundreds of hrs in LA then that is a big deal. Just be nice and realize they may just turn you down right away on the phone.

If the school offers no interviews i would call and let them know, hopefully they are willing to listen but keep in mind they have a right to shut you down because the application processes is over.

Try to be realistic with determining whether or not this new info could really make or break a decision. If you have any doubt, leave it to bring up during the interview

so you think it is better to call them rather than sending them an email?

so you think it is better to call them rather than sending them an email?

yea..if you're going to possibly annoy them you want to make sure you are in control of getting a response lol if you email them they could just not reply and then you'll wonder if they received your email and you'll want to email or call them again haha

I called one school to give them an update and they were very nice. They asked for a follow up email so they could include it in my file. Another school I just updated by email because I had already corresponded with the admissions person this way. Talking to someone is nice, but email lets you keep record of your communication with the school. I think it depends on your previous experience with the school.

I called one school to give them an update and they were very nice. They asked for a follow up email so they could include it in my file. Another school I just updated by email because I had already corresponded with the admissions person this way. Talking to someone is nice, but email lets you keep record of your communication with the school. I think it depends on your previous experience with the school.

This is true. The thing is, if the school is interested and agrees to accept the new info they will always tell you to email them with a hard copy