upenn class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muberrymolar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey buddies,thought i should start this thread for all those accepted to upenn for class of 2008,so we can rub minds together.
first question,do you guys know if we would be sent the course outline of the summer program before we actually start the program?
secondly, what are you guys doing about housing, will you be renting or buying?
your thoughts will be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

where are you guys? please post something and keep this thread alive!

Members don't see this ad :)
muberrymolar said:
where are you guys? please post something and keep this thread alive!

Congratulations.Yes they will send us the material of summer programme in March.We have preclinicals for 3 days n lectures for 3 days.Timmings r from 8 to 5 pm.That is the only information i have till now.
sunita

I went to my bank for this almost 17000 that we have to come up with , They smiled and looked helpful but since I dont have much credit background and no cosigner they denied me for the loan, Do any of you know where I can go to get the money ? Is there anyway to do it through the schooll joined with the student loan or .... I have no idea.
Please help ,some others may have the same problem.

Prinzmetal said:
I went to my bank for this almost 17000 that we have to come up with , They smiled and looked helpful but since I dont have much credit background and no cosigner they denied me for the loan, Do any of you know where I can go to get the money ? Is there anyway to do it through the schooll joined with the student loan or .... I have no idea.
Please help ,some others may have the same problem.

If u are on F1 visa and in any school u can apply for FASA. U must have been given info during this loan stuff on ur interview day. Contact the school and inquire with them that u want student loan.
Also search this forum for loans and many threads will come up to give idea.
dont worry things will turn out fine.
:)

smilepls said:
If u are on F1 visa and in any school u can apply for FASA. U must have been given info during this loan stuff on ur interview day. Contact the school and inquire with them that u want student loan.
Also search this forum for loans and many threads will come up to give idea.
dont worry things will turn out fine.
:)

actually I'm a permanent resident , On the interview date they didnt talk much on this 17000 part it was mostly on the actual loans ( the aug and later part )

Prinzmetal said:
actually I'm a permanent resident , On the interview date they didnt talk much on this 17000 part it was mostly on the actual loans ( the aug and later part )

Firstly., u can take student loan anytime if u r inrolled in school and have admission papers. So this 17000 u r talking bout can become part of it. Ure range of loan can vary uptill i guess 200k depending on credit score and all. U can take as much as u want. Or as little as u want. U r not bound to take whole money u signed for in loan.

Now u are saying u r permanent resident. That solves ur major concerns. Bcoz u have ssn. u are eligible for student loan , etc. And u dont need a cosigner if u have ssn. However, u shd have good credit score range 700-850 out of 850.
But u said u dont have it that good. Then in this case u can get loan but it will be at a higher interest rate comparatively.
So believe me dont worry about this. But act on it. Go to the banks assigned by school and tell them ur residency status and u need loan. They will give u. However if they deny try another bank. Their are many private banks also which give loans.
Bottom line U r eligible for loans as u have ssn and u dont need cosigner. Just rate of interest will be high.

Goodluck
i hope this info helps

smilepls said:
Firstly., u can take student loan anytime if u r inrolled in school and have admission papers. So this 17000 u r talking bout can become part of it. Ure range of loan can vary uptill i guess 200k depending on credit score and all. U can take as much as u want. Or as little as u want. U r not bound to take whole money u signed for in loan.

Now u are saying u r permanent resident. That solves ur major concerns. Bcoz u have ssn. u are eligible for student loan , etc. And u dont need a cosigner if u have ssn. However, u shd have good credit score range 700-850 out of 850.
But u said u dont have it that good. Then in this case u can get loan but it will be at a higher interest rate comparatively.
So believe me dont worry about this. But act on it. Go to the banks assigned by school and tell them ur residency status and u need loan. They will give u. However if they deny try another bank. Their are many private banks also which give loans.
Bottom line U r eligible for loans as u have ssn and u dont need cosigner. Just rate of interest will be high.

Goodluck
i hope this info helps

The fact that you have a GC and SSN does not make you automatically eligible for a loan,the most important criteria is your credit rating,you also have to be carefully about applying for loans at different banks within a very short period of time.This will only hurt you credit score and will imply despiration and once the credit companies sense this, they will continue denying you.
even based on high interest rates no body will give you a loan of 17k if you have insufficient credit.
The thing i think is wise at this point is to get a cosigner,if this is impossible at the point then try and talk to the school and see if they can work out a payment plan for you.
regards

hi buddies
can somebody please give me an insight to housing in philly,which areas are the good part of town?

UPENN CLASS of 2008

Good Luck to all ... :) :thumbup:

Gaura Nitai said:
UPENN CLASS of 2008

Good Luck to all ... :) :thumbup:
hi there

i m new to this site . I m a BDS from india. I ve an interview call from u penn on 13th jan. my part 1 score 89 , toefl 247 n gpa 3.68. whats my chance n howz the interview like . any tips for preparation n what kind of questions are asked. any help will be appreciated . plz reply back soon . thanks.

hi northwest,
search SDN there is tons of info about upenn interviews,i wish u luck in ur interviews,hopefully i will see u in april
Regards

northwest said:
hi there

i m new to this site . I m a BDS from india. I ve an interview call from u penn on 13th jan. my part 1 score 89 , toefl 247 n gpa 3.68. whats my chance n howz the interview like . any tips for preparation n what kind of questions are asked. any help will be appreciated . plz reply back soon . thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just trying to revive class of 08 discussion.
I just received a letter from school today and wanted to share it with you.Classes do commence on april 3rd and we have been given an option of choosing between when we want to have summer clinics for 06 and 07.There are a bunch of other things that are stated we must do in order to prepare for school.
Anybody else received this????

hey divya, i also received the letter,i have to get on top of getting my immunization records together.i wonder where our classmates are.people dont seem to want to post here unlike other acceptance thread for other schools.

also talked to the school today they will start sending out the summer course manuals to people that have completed their deposits.

Thanks for the update.I would suggest you go to your local health department asap for vaccinations and not wait for your PCP.Hold onto to the little card they give you like dear life -thats the proof you went through all the pain to get the shots.
BTW How's the housing search going?

divya said:
Thanks for the update.I would suggest you go to your local health department asap for vaccinations and not wait for your PCP.Hold onto to the little card they give you like dear life -thats the proof you went through all the pain to get the shots.
BTW How's the housing search going?

Havent received any package from the school yet.I have deposited all 3 installments.Must be on its way.
sunita

Have any of you done anything for housing ?
How much is reasonable ? Up to what amount can be covered by student loans ?

Have you received any advice from past students about where to go ? how much to pay ? ,....
Babak

Babak said:
Have any of you done anything for housing ?
How much is reasonable ? Up to what amount can be covered by student loans ?

Have you received any advice from past students about where to go ? how much to pay ? ,....
Babak
yes,i have booked my accomadation for. summer programme. housing is not covered by the loan ,as far as i know. u can confirm that.There is a guy who wants to rent his apt in phili .his ph no is 4844670043
u can contact him .he needs 2 roommates.i saw his add on net.
i am still waiting for the letter from upenn.
good luck
sunita

hi Sunita:
which website you use to find your housing for summer program?

favoritetooth said:
hi Sunita:
which website you use to find your housing for summer program?

i found the ad on rangoli housing.u may try and feed OFF CAMPUS LIVING UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA. [http//www.business-services.upenn.edu/offcampusliving/housingsearch ]
hope this helps
sunita

Saludos colegas, quisiera saber si hay alguien mas lo han aceptado en la clase 2008 de Upenn.

Hola yo he sido aceptada a UPENN!!! Quisiera saber si tu tambien iras alli y bueno nos veremos alla!!!

Hope to see everyone in Philadelphia in April!!!!!

Mx123 said:
Saludos colegas, quisiera saber si hay alguien mas lo han aceptado en la clase 2008 de Upenn.
Congrats on your acceptance See you guys in april

Someone Else said:
Hola yo he sido aceptada a UPENN!!! Quisiera saber si tu tambien iras alli y bueno nos veremos alla!!!

congratulations and welcome to penn class of 2008 :thumbup: :D Excited to meet my classmates.
Divya

To date the underlisted are the classmates we know of

Divya
sreshta
muberrymolar
Prinzmetal
sunita
Babak
favoritetooth
Someone Else
?Mx123
?Gaura Nitai

22 more to go

what about flosser?
muberrymolar said:

Divya
sreshta
muberrymolar
Prinzmetal
sunita
Babak
favoritetooth
Someone Else
?Mx123
?Gaura Nitai

22 more to go

hi everyone accepted at upenn
first congrats to you, i hope you guys know what you have got.........getting into upenn is a dream come true......
i have an interview at upenn on 14th......my stats r 85,273,3.2, GC, one yr exp in USA, 2 yrs back home as a dentist.......please make some suggestions?do i even hav a chance?does score matter once you are in the interview?please reply

ME TOO!!

muberrymolar said:

FLOSSER
Divya
sreshta
muberrymolar
Prinzmetal
sunita
Babak
favoritetooth
Someone Else
?Mx123
?Gaura Nitai

21 more to go

Just wanted to ask a question to all of you.
Penn doesnt tell us that we need a laptop ....so how many of you are gonna buy yours.Have any of you found out more abt this?

Another thing did any of you get a letter/statement from school saying we payed so much in fees......

Hey murberry molar,good effort in compiling the list.

Hi there friends,
I am also going to Penn - Class of 2008. I posted a thread at the top about F-1 visa questions because I really need some help. Can someone who has been through this please give me some advice? Would GREATLY appreciate it!!!!

Big Smiles

FLOSSER
Divya
sreshta
muberrymolar
Prinzmetal
sunita
Babak
favoritetooth
Someone Else
?Mx123
?Gaura Nitai
Cementum
Big Smiles

bump....

Can someone please help me with housing options....does anyone have any leads or recommend a place where they already found a place to stay?

Would greatly appreciate it!!!

See everyone soon,
Big Smiles

try the university offcampus accomodation site as well as craigslist

i called upenn financial aid office today and found out that the 1st deadline for filling fafsa was feb 15th :eek:
dude, you guys need to move fast if you havent filled yours or you may miss out on federal loans

Hi everyone,

Don't forget your white gown for the lab!!

See you soon at Penn....WOW!!! cannot wait to see you guys!

Big Smiles :love:

Someone Else said:

Hola, de donde sos?, yo tambien fui aceptada, asi que nos veremos alla!!!!!

BIG SMILES said:
FLOSSER
Divya
sreshta
muberrymolar
Prinzmetal
sunita
Babak
favoritetooth
Someone Else
?Mx123
?Gaura Nitai
Cementum
Big Smiles

lemme add sweetsmile to the list

Mx123 said:
de donde sos?, yo tambien fui aceptada a UPENN
Nos veremos alla

BIG SMILES said:
bump....

Can someone please help me with housing options....does anyone have any leads or recommend a place where they already found a place to stay?

Would greatly appreciate it!!!

See everyone soon,
Big Smiles
Hi,
just got back from philly today. All the apartments I saw were in the university city area. Most of the apartments offer long term leases [6 months or more] starting from June.

The below apartment offer short term leases:
• Sherman properties. [min 2 months]
• A.H. Klein Properties [min 3 months]

Apart from these you can go through the off campus site to see the spring sublets.

I saw the below properties that offered long term leases:
• Spruce hall [on 42nd and spruce.]
• University city housing.
• Campus apartments

I liked an apartment owned/managed by campus apartments. My main considerations were, it was close to school, grocery. Also they offer a shuttle that is available 7am to 11am and 5pm to 2am. This is a very good option if you don’t have a car and I heard good reviews from residents who use this very often.

I recommend seeing the apartment before signing the lease. Most of these landlords need you to make an appointment at least 24hrs in advance. So plan and make appointments for the apartments you wish to see before you go there.

The penn’s off campus office was very helpful with questions related to leasing or general question with apartment hunting. They are located on the corner of 41st and walnut street.

Good luck with the search.

Thank you Divya, you did such a great job!

See you at Upenn soon!

Big Smiles :D

Hey fellow upenn-ers,

Well there is just two weeks to go before we all get to meet as classmates at penn! I was wondering when everyone is going to be arriving in philly? I will be there on the 28th and wanna know if any of my other classmates will be there . . . i was thinking maybe we can explore the campus together. . .