UPenn vs BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasteDent07

Reaction score
I have recently been accepted in both schools, undecided which one to go, while UPenn has the Ivy reputation and might grant a lot of opportunities after graduation is well-known for the outrageous cost of attendance, BU, on the other hand, is less famous, shorter and cheaper. If you had to choose between these two schools what would you take and why? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Upenn without any doubt. BU you won't get much clinical experience. Upenn is better. I would wait and see if other better options would open in future, but out of these 2, UPenn for sure.

Thanks for your advice. I am really kind of concern about UPenn cost of attendance and consequently future student debt.
Upenn without any doubt. BU you won't get much clinical experience. Upenn is better. I would wait and see if other better options would open in future, but out of these 2, UPenn for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
@MasteDent07 I think it depends on multiple factors, the cost of living is different for both cities. Do you have a family or are you single? See the opportunities available for a partner too. How important is a clinical experience for you? Are you a fresh graduate or do you have a few years of experience? Also, when did you interview at BU and when did you get the acceptance?

I heard that BU has the best technology and trying to be the first in adding new courses, they use facial injection courses, they have condensed clinical program. UPENN is only reputation and so expensive, they just started using CAD/CAM recently, they seem behind in technology. I hope this helps

Congratulations on your acceptances.

My two cents: If it adds to the conversation, university reputation is determined by several factors including NIDCR/NIH funding, pass rates, univ. publication profile etc. What we need to remind ourselves about IDP is that this is a 2 year expedited program which essentially means that a lot of resources that 4yr DDS students traditionally enjoy, may not be available for us. Research opportunities, if any at all, are peripheral. So the relevant factors to be considered (in my view) would be patient pool, clinical requirements, affordability etc. We often tend to overlook universities that have a massive patient pool, (some being the only dental institution in the entire state!!). Labels may carry weight, esp. for specialization but eventually, all schools / IDP programs are pretty similar in terms of clinical quota. Good luck to all.