UPenn decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an email telling me to check my status. In case anybody didn't get that memo....

Yeah...30 hours later. Jack Bauer would have saved the world AT LEAST 3 times over by now.

In the words of good ol' Kiefer: "D*mn it!"

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an email telling me to check my status. In case anybody didn't get that memo....

Haha, I got the same thing. I went thinking "MAYBE it changed" only to get, of course, exactly the same message.

Good job Penn!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I got the same thing. I went thinking "MAYBE it changed" only to get, of course, exactly the same message.

Hahaha. I wasn't going to be the first to admit it, but now that you said it, I did the exact same thing. Oh Penn, how you toy with my emotions.

Hahaha. I wasn't going to be the first to admit it, but now that you said it, I did the exact same thing. Oh Penn, how you toy with my emotions.

Make that three of us! :laugh:

Make that three of us! :laugh:

I'm so hellbent on getting in off the waitlist I sent in my needaccess form today, even though Penn is the only school that requires it. :confused:

I also sent them a masterfully worded (at least, imho) letter "updating" them of my recent accomplishments, like the FAQ said. That wouldn't be so bad, but I sent it overnight mail.

I'm turning into more of a tool every day. I think SDN is bad for me.

Nothing toolish about it. I was going to send my needaccess, which I already completed for Cornell, but the financial aid site says not to send it until you're accepted. Not that it's a problem if you do. I"m just trying to reassure you that you're not alone.

Nothing toolish about it. I was going to send my needaccess, which I already completed for Cornell, but the financial aid site says not to send it until you're accepted. Not that it's a problem if you do. I"m just trying to reassure you that you're not alone.

They didn't say not to send it if you aren't accepted, they just said financial aid packages won't be prepared unless your accepted. Can't hurt to send it in to get it earlier.

They didn't say not to send it if you aren't accepted, they just said financial aid packages won't be prepared unless your accepted. Can't hurt to send it in to get it earlier.

Right. My idea was that if they offer me admission, it'd be nice to know about financial aid ASAP so I can make a difficult decision. Guess I'm in good company for being preemptive about things :D

does anyone know who the director of admissions is now? I searched for Sheffler but she is apparently under financial aid. On the status page it gave the names of two co-chairs...is that the same thing?

does anyone know who the director of admissions is now? I searched for Sheffler but she is apparently under financial aid. On the status page it gave the names of two co-chairs...is that the same thing?

Gaye Sheffler is the director of admissions and financial aid. She is on break right now and will not be back until April 16th (my birthday!)

hey washington101,
in that case do you know by any chance who it might be next most pertinent to address a letter to, or to call?

The only thing it hurts is the $15 and the ridic amount of time on the NeedAccess. I only say this because Waitlist FAQs say:

If accepted from the Waitlist, when will I file financial aid applications and how will my aid be affected?

If Penn is a strong school preference, list Penn (003378) on your 2007-08 FAFSA. Penn's institutional financial aid application can be filed only after you have been contacted by the school regarding admission. An acceptance from the waitlist does not decrease your financial aid eligibility or opportunity for scholarship funds.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing it hurts is the $15 and the ridic amount of time on the NeedAccess. I only say this because Waitlist FAQs say:

Yeah...the NeedAccess form was a demoralizing BEAST. I had to fill it out for other schools, so I just went and submitted it to Penn, too. I'd rather lose $15 than waste another few hours of my life filling that form out again.

I believe you are allowed to add schools later and re-submit it without filling out all of the info again.

for those of us rejected...

they're still gonna snail mail our rejection letters right (even tho its posted online)?

cant wait to rip it up (as i do with all my rejection letters)!!! :D

good luck to those who are waitlisted~

Yeah...the NeedAccess form was a demoralizing BEAST. I had to fill it out for other schools, so I just went and submitted it to Penn, too. I'd rather lose $15 than waste another few hours of my life filling that form out again.

Yeah, NeedAccess wins the war of crappy FinAid forms. CSSProfile takes sloppy seconds. My favorite part was the percentage meter, that moved about 5% after every page of 5000 questions.

However, I did read the instructions, and it says you can add schools later if needed. Just FYI for people who haven't submitted it to Penn.

Yeah, NeedAccess wins the war of crappy FinAid forms. CSSProfile takes sloppy seconds. My favorite part was the percentage meter, that moved about 5% after every page of 5000 questions.

However, I did read the instructions, and it says you can add schools later if needed. Just FYI for people who haven't submitted it to Penn.

I would recommend submitting everything that doesn't require money to Penn if waitlisted (FAFSA, tax info), and maybe hold off on the Need Access form. I submitted the Need Access on Monday and it was up by Tuesday. The FAFSA, for some reason, still isn't reflected as being downloaded even though it was sent a month ago. Any other acceptees actually have the FAFSA as documented as being accepted?

I would recommend submitting everything that doesn't require money to Penn if waitlisted (FAFSA, tax info), and maybe hold off on the Need Access form. I submitted the Need Access on Monday and it was up by Tuesday. The FAFSA, for some reason, still isn't reflected as being downloaded even though it was sent a month ago. Any other acceptees actually have the FAFSA as documented as being accepted?

nah.....my fafsa has been in for a while but still doesn't show as being received on the Penn website.

Penn might not have downloaded any of the FAFSAs yet. A lot of schools seem to pick a date and download all of them at once (Hopkins did this). Since they just sent out acceptances, Penn might wait until April 1st (the date posted on their finaid page as the FAFSA deadline).

Today I got my official letter which claims, underlined, that I am "first tier waitlist -- among those at the very top of the list."

It's the nicest (probable) rejection letter ever. I almost feel warm and fuzzy!

oh Penn, please just let me in.

Why do you call that a probable rejection? It's a probable acceptance. Top of tier 1 are the first people to get called off the waitlist. That's where I sat waiting to get in...

In the words of my organic professor (<3), "If you always assume the worst, you'll never be disappointed."

I guess I'm naturally pessimistic. I will be in the Philly area in late May though, so maybe I can stop by and plead my case in person.

Thanks for the encouragement :D

edit after thinking: Neuronix, if you don't mind me asking, how did you do on financial aid? One of my worries is that I'll get in right around the time I am deciding to go elsewhere, hesitate and say yes to Penn, then have to graduate 275k in debt. Did they turn around your app fast enough so that you knew what you were getting into? (if this is too private, either don't answer or send a PM :) )

QuakerPreMed, I am with you. I really did like the underlined statement "among those at the very top of the list." It just sounds so emphatic and hopeful. Anyway, even though a Penn Preview invite would have been nice, I like to believe there's still hope for people like us just yet. We'll see. =)

I really like how they say "there is no individual rank on the waitlist" but then tell others that they are "among those at the very top of the list." :rolleyes:

Congrats though.

so how many of us received the "at the very top of list" letter? i wouldnt consider myself top of the list if 50 or 100 other people are also there....

so how many of us received the "at the very top of list" letter? i wouldnt consider myself top of the list if 50 or 100 other people are also there....

Posted a poll, we'll see if it differs any from the status page poll that was done a while back.

I really like how they say "there is no individual rank on the waitlist" but then tell others that they are "among those at the very top of the list." :rolleyes:

Congrats though.

I'm with you Tyler. I'm a bit perplexed as well....

So I feel like all the future Quakers have been fairl quiet, and thought chances would be better on this thread than the "official" all class thread (which is dead also). So, who is going to Penn preview? Has anyone heard back on the housing/hosting situation? Also, has anyone gotten their financial aid packages?