UPenn decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deuce

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any idea when adcom sends out decisions this month ?

Members don't see this ad.

yep. two more weeks! anyone know if decisions go up on the status page or if they are emailed/mailed?

Members don't see this ad :)
yep. two more weeks! anyone know if decisions go up on the status page or if they are emailed/mailed?

i believe we get to see it on the status page...let me do a search for last yr's thread....

Yes. its cyber. thats awesome. i hate snail mail.

Yes. its cyber. thats awesome. i hate snail mail.

That is confirmed. I just called the admissions office about changing the address for my letter and they told me that it will be posted online. We will be getting an email to tell us to check the status page. :eek:

much better than snail mail

That is confirmed. I just called the admissions office about changing the address for my letter and they told me that it will be posted online. We will be getting an email to tell us to check the status page. :eek:

Are you sure the e-mail is coming on 3/22?

i don't think we can be sure of the day. The status page says it'll be "the week of March 19"

Right...I think 3/22 was just the day decisions were posted last year.

I was told on interview day that decisions would be posted to the status page the morning of the 19th. It's nice to have a hard deadline. Good luck! :luck:

Are you sure the e-mail is coming on 3/22?

I didn't say that the email was coming then. The 22nd was for when it came out last year. I was told mid- to end- of March, which falls in the week of the 19th that's posted on the status page. The email is just so that we know it's up instead of having to check the page nonstop.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told on interview day that decisions would be posted to the status page the morning of the 19th. It's nice to have a hard deadline. Good luck! :luck:

That's nice. I wonder why I wasn't told that when I called. When did you interview?

I didn't say that the email was coming then. The 22nd was for when it came out last year. I was told mid- to end- of March, which falls in the week of the 19th that's posted on the status page. The email is just so that we know it's up instead of having to check the page nonstop.

Assuming we check our email nonstop...

That's nice. I wonder why I wasn't told that when I called. When did you interview?

Very end of January. I asked when I turned in my black key, and that's what they told me.

They've missed the deadline many times. In fact, that's why they do the "week of" thing now. Though one year they even missed the week. That being said it used to be early March and now it's mid-March so maybe they'll be on time. All I'm saying is, don't get real excited to hear on the 19th and don't be too surprised if you have to wait even longer...

Last year decisions were posted on a Wednesday.

i just logged into my status page which now says that decisions will be announced the week of march 26. are they pushing everything back a week?!?! Nooooooooooooo!

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! are you f***** KIDDING me? i'm killing myself here...

okay okay. i still love you, penn. love me too. i'm sorry i raised my voice at you.

I've always heard that Penn waitlists alot of people who get into Harvard (assuming they will go there instead). Maybe they pushed back a week cuz Harvard did?? is this just an urban legend?

I've always heard that Penn waitlists alot of people who get into Harvard (assuming they will go there instead). Maybe they pushed back a week cuz Harvard did?? is this just an urban legend?

I think this is totally urban legend. A) How would they know if you get into
Harvard or not? B) Believe it or not, a fair chunk of people who get into both choose Penn over Harvard. Probably the reason that all the schools are pushing back their deadlines is related to the problems AMCAS has been having this year. Also, Penn likes people who are enthusiastic about their school, so if it's clear that you prefer another school (Harvard or anything else), they're probably not going to straight out accept you.

Harvard or not? B) Believe it or not, a fair chunk of people who get into both choose Penn over Harvard. Probably the reason that all the schools are pushing back their deadlines is related to the problems AMCAS has been having this year. Also, Penn likes people who are enthusiastic about their school, so if it's clear that you prefer another school (Harvard or anything else), they're probably not going to straight out accept you.

Most premeds that are smart enough to get into Harvard will likewise not make it clear to other competitive schools that they are in love with Harvard. All Penn knows is what you tell them right? From their point of view, I bet everyone can looks insanely enthusiastic about their school, honestly or not.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! are you f***** KIDDING me? i'm killing myself here...

okay okay. i still love you, penn. love me too. i'm sorry i raised my voice at you.

You couldn't have said it more perfectly.

that really pisses me off though!

i just logged into my status page which now says that decisions will be announced the week of march 26. are they pushing everything back a week?!?! Nooooooooooooo!

Ughhhhhhh
And I swear it was even earlier than the 19th at some point (I was entertaining ideas of March 3rd, but maybe I was confusing with Duke).

Harvard or not?
B) Believe it or not, a fair chunk of people who get into both choose Penn over Harvard. Probably the reason that all the schools are pushing back their deadlines is related to the problems AMCAS has been having this year. Also, Penn likes people who are enthusiastic about their school, so if it's clear that you prefer another school (Harvard or anything else), they're probably not going to straight out accept you.

Can't all schools see where you've been accepted after March 15?

March 26th??? Screw that. Seriously, I'm finished with them (not a hard decision to make). If I had to get all my **** into them by the deadline (regardless of whatever else was going on in my life, with letter writers, etc.), they should have the courtesy to post their decisions by their already freakishly late date.
Other schools can get all their crap out on time, why can't they? :rolleyes:

GGGGGggggyyyyyaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggg!!!!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sheez, oh well. delays the rejection. keeps hope alive for a few more days, eh?

Sheez, oh well. delays the rejection. keeps hope alive for a few more days, eh?

Nobody is rejected post-interview. You either go into one of accepted, top of tier 1, tier 1, or tier 2 waitlists.

About the delay, it's like I'm psychic or something ;) Sorry to hear about it though, it is pretty lame of them.

Nobody is rejected post-interview. You either go into one of accepted, top of tier 1, tier 1, or tier 2 waitlists.

About the delay, it's like I'm psychic or something ;) Sorry to hear about it though, it is pretty lame of them.
Sorry, can you explain again?

i figured they probably wouldn't release them right on March 19 anyway, but now they are definitely postponed which seems pretty lame. haven't they been aiming to release around the 19th the whole time? this. waiting. is. so. painful.

OMG.......................this is ridiculous!!!
March 19th was already late, and now they are going to be delayed another week! i hate this waiting

i would love some insight into what exactly would cause this kind of delay.

OMG.......................this is ridiculous!!!
March 19th was already late, and now they are going to be delayed another week! i hate this waiting

Yeah, exactly. What's the deadline set by AMCAS for schools to contact applicants about their decision/status? Isn't it April something? (Or am I imagining there's a deadline?)

Yeah, exactly. What's the deadline set by AMCAS for schools to contact applicants about their decision/status? Isn't it April something? (Or am I imagining there's a deadline?)

By March 30th, schools should have given out a number of acceptances at least equal to the expected size of their first year class. (#4)

I'm so ready for this waiting game to be over....

By March 30th, schools should have given out a number of acceptances at least equal to the expected size of their first year class. (#4)

I'm so ready for this waiting game to be over....

Thanks for the info. :)

Well, I guess the good news is that Penn isn't allowed to push the date back any farther...

Ok i know this irrelevant but I'm thinking of applying to Upenn and got confused by some of AAMC stats. Does anybody here know the percentage of accepted students who are just regular MD students? No MD/PHD. No college straight to med school w/o MCAT and application process. Just regular MD students from other colleges that want to go to Upenn for medschool?

I'm not looking for a really specific number just a 60-70% will do.

Many thanks in advance

i would love some insight into what exactly would cause this kind of delay.

I know. I really want to know where I'm going to school next year. I'm quite sick of telling people that I'm going to med school, but I have no idea where since I'm waiting for a bunch of schools.

I go out of town for a few days, and I come back to find this terrible news! I was already to go on the mildly official countdown to March thread and post that it was maybe only a week till UPenn as of today... So much for that...

They better be worth the wait! (read: they better accept me!)

I go out of town for a few days, and I come back to find this terrible news! I was already to go on the mildly official countdown to March thread and post that it was maybe only a week till UPenn as of today... So much for that...

They better be worth the wait! (read: they better accept me!)

Ha, yeah, and if not....they better be ready to pay our therapy bills. :)

Just what is the deal with all these schools being delayed this year? It's not like the non-rolling schools haven't had, oh, 9 months or so to prepare. (To any non-rolling schools reading: I love you, just take your time...)

gospe1 said:
Ok i know this irrelevant but I'm thinking of applying to Upenn and got confused by some of AAMC stats. Does anybody here know the percentage of accepted students who are just regular MD students? No MD/PHD. No college straight to med school w/o MCAT and application process. Just regular MD students from other colleges that want to go to Upenn for medschool?

I'm not looking for a really specific number just a 60-70% will do.

Many thanks in advance

Penn doesn't have a college feeder program into their med school.

Here's a question... Do you guys view this as a bit of a red flag about UPenn (and any other schools doing the same thing)? Do you think this is a warning about how students may be treated there... Sort of a we [the school] can do what we want and delay our decisions further, but we're so awesome that you'll still want us kind of mentality... (Note: and I do still want them, so whatever they're doing is working! :) )

I'm asking because when I interviewed, I didn't get that feeling at all, but this additional delay is not fantastic. Of course I don't know the reason for the delay and it may be perfectly reasonable, but the above thoughts did occur to me... What do you guys think?

Here's a question... Do you guys view this as a bit of a red flag about UPenn (and any other schools doing the same thing)? Do you think this is a warning about how students may be treated there... Sort of a we [the school] can do what we want and delay our decisions further, but we're so awesome that you'll still want us kind of mentality... (Note: and I do still want them, so whatever they're doing is working! :) )

I'm asking because when I interviewed, I didn't get that feeling at all, but this additional delay is not fantastic. Of course I don't know the reason for the delay and it may be perfectly reasonable, but the above thoughts did occur to me... What do you guys think?

One thing I take note of during my interview visits is the interaction between students and the administration.

The best, most supportive I saw were at Prtizker and Vandy.
I would say Penn was close to if not comprable to these two schools.

(I realize that this is just a small glimpse to base judgment on since I was there only for half a day, but still...)

I disagree. One reason I am so excited about attending Penn in the fall was because of the support of the administration. The administrators at Penn are incredibly supportive and that is one reason I decided to apply EDP. This sentiment is also echoed by the many students I know who are currently students. I remember during my interview, a student walking by and asked if I was interviewing. I replied yes, and he remarked, "They spoil us here".

Penn is fantastic and I hope to see you all as my classmates in August!

One more datum to consider regarding when you might hear from Penn: Over the weekend the Director of the MSTP program emailed that he guessed that the acceptances to that program would go out on the "20ish."