UPenn Grading System

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. A lot of people on here have been talking about the competitive grading system at Penn. I was under the impression that it's P/F for the first half of the first year and then H/P/F for the rest of the sciences (first 1.5 years). Am I missing something? Is everyone worried and writing about the "Type A" people at Penn just because of the H in the H/P/F?

Members don't see this ad.

getting too low on this forum... soooooooo bump

I'm just curious about the grading system, if anyone knows it.

Thanks.

I don't really know where Penn is getting this bad rap. Yes, it is H/P/F, and the honors is based on YOUR grade alone (a cutoff), not on anyone else's. From people I know there, I hear that students are pretty cooperative and form study groups. I have noticed a moderate stress level there, but I don't get too stressed academically so am not super worried about it. I mean if I had my choice I would rather it be P/F for all of preclinical, but the H isn't enough to stop me from going there. That's one perspective...

The posts here pretty much sum it up. P/F first 6 months, H/P/F next year until clinics. I don't know how cooperative everyone is necessarily, but I can say with certainty that it's not hard to pass and the honors grade outside of the clinics doesn't mean much. I do wish it was P/F, but there's pretty much one man who keeps it that way despite years and years of students asking them to change it. If you come, you'll learn to hate him just like we all do :)

Once you get to clinics look out! But, I'm not convinced it's any worse than anywhere else. Third year just sucks.