UPenn vs Columbia vs WashU MSTP

Started by polka128
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

polka128

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am choosing between these three programs and unfortunately cannot attend all three second looks, so I would love any input people may have

UPenn:
Pros: large mdphd program, campus is all connected and walkable, more affordable COL than nyc
Cons: i have worked in research for multiple years at Penn - desire to experience something new

Columbia:
Pros: always wanted to live in New York, strong research in my desired field
Cons: COL, negative spotlight currently, taking a smaller class so worried about having fewer classmates, worried about location feeling isolated

Washu:
Pros: everyone I met seems very friendly, work life balance seems good, large and stable mdphd program
Cons: unsure how I feel about living in St. Louis for 8 years

Thank you in advance
 
Congrats on all the acceptances! I don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices.

I would probably lean towards WashU, assuming that you go see St. Louis in person and see yourself living there for 8 years. The admin is super supportive there and has a larger class size than most MSTPs.

I don't know if this is true at all, but I've heard from some people that Columbia is on the more competitive side. I would take that with a grain of salt though.