UPenn Interview Feedback !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam1234

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The interview at UPenn was informal. The day started with a brief welcome speech by admissions coordinator at 8:45 a.m. From 9-10 a.m, there was an Introduction and overview of the school. There were total of 6 applicants on the day of my interview. The interviews started from 10.00 a.m. The interview format was 1-on-1. My interview was at 10 a.m. and lasted for an hour. Just the general questions some regarding the academics and some about the extracurricular activities and how i came to know about UPenn. The interview was followed by a tour accompanied by a D-3. The buildings looked pretty old. The school is strongly research oriented. Followed by the tour we had excellent lunch with 2 D-2 students. They were pretty friendly. After the lunch, met with the admission's coordinator for about 5-min's and then i was back on my way to UNC-chapelhill. In all it was good interview. If anyone wants to know more they can pm me.

Members don't see this ad.

Good idea, Sam to post this. Hopefully, this type of thread will be done for every school. What a great reseource this would be!!

Anyway, I too went to UPENN for an interview this past Friday (9/20). It was my first interview so was a bit nervous. The structure was just as Sam said.

A couple of notes:
-My suggestion would be to eat breakfast elsewhere....unless you can be okay with Orange Juice, coffee and some danishes/pastries.

-Interview was not bad at all. Informal. A question on an extracurricular activity, a question about why did I apply to UPENN....but to my surprise no question about "Why dentsitry?" I was all ready for that one too!

-The D-3 tour guide and the interviewer stressed and illustrated how the faculty and students are very supportive of one another which I thought was cool.

-The area itself was fine. Much like NW Washington DC if you're familiar with it. The UPENN campus is VERY diverse and campus security seemed appropriate. So it wasn't as ghetto as I thought, but I think Temple may be another story judging by others posts about this issue.

Hey guys,

Like RSXer I interviewed on Friday, September 20th as well. I met him. There was only 6 people and half of them I knew from my temple interview the day before. Dr. Emling (the dean of student admissions) was very informative and he tried to dispel the belief that UPENN was only a research institution. He also illustrated the schools philosophy and its goal toward developing dentists that want to pursue a specialty or other advanced positions in dentistry. UPENN did try to feed you, breakfast was served and will refreshed so food was always available. Also a good lunch was served. Each person had a different schedule and mine was the most different than my peers.

Everyone interviewd in the early morning and I was nervous why I was given the interview at the end of the day. However, I was prepared. My interview was with Dr. Emling and another doctor from Endodontics (I know him, but forgot his name). The interview was very relaxed and Dr. Emling seemed very impressed with my application, so much so it seemed like he was in disbelief with some of my experiences (but I had references to back up my activities). We discussed primarily my secondary which I gave very, very thorough answers. We discussed my motivation for dentistry, and all the clinical experience I had. Also, he asked about my choice of majors (neurobiology and asian languages). The language discussion was pretty interesting, since while I was waiting for Dr. Emling a D2 student came and started talking to me. He was from Afghanistan and I started to speak to him in Persian and all of a sudden Dr. Emling appeared and he was wondering what I was saying. As we walked to the elevator he was asking if I knew the student, I said no but knew his language. As we got into the meeting room, the conversation started and we just discussed all aspects of my file. It was weird, UPENN, even though an ivy league school really doesn't seem concerned with grades and DAT scores. Corky Cacas, the admission coordinator said that they want to see your human side and selecting dental students just because they can do good on the DAT and PAT wasn't enough. She said they wanted "people" not test scores.

My interview lasted a little over an hour and Dr. Emling said that the reason my interview was pushed to the end was because Corky and him agreed that it may take longer for them to interview me and put it at the end of the day so if they go over then it wouldn't affect the tour or lunch. At the end Dr. Emling did state: "I hope to see you again soon." Hopefully, everything goes all right.

UPENN interviews 330 for 96 spots. Corky said that you have a very very good chance of getting accepted if you get an interview. So keep your head high and if you get an interview make sure you know how to express yourself. They were very impressed with my English, let alone speaking 5 other languages.

So if you have a diverse application, an amicable personality and if you get an interview at PENN you have a great chance of getting accepted. Let's hope I do...DEC 1st or bust.

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by RSXer
Good idea, Sam to post this. Hopefully, this type of thread will be done for every school. What a great reseource this would be!!

I agree. This info needs to be posted, or added, to the Interview Feedback section on the main page of SDN (www.studentdoctor.net).

There is lots of feedback from med school interviews, but only a couple from dental schools.

Yeah, Desidentist and I were interviewing the same day. Desidentist was the only one to have an interview after lunch. THat's amazing that more than one person interviewed you and it took over an hour! I guess they needed extra time to go through all of your file ;) It sounds like there's a lot ot talk about.

Anyway, you all should listen to Desi. He's definitely on top of things when it comes to these applications. Hope to see you on some other interviews :D

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
I agree. This info needs to be posted, or added, to the Interview Feedback section on the main page of SDN (www.studentdoctor.net).

There is lots of feedback from med school interviews, but only a couple from dental schools.

Whoa! I didn't even know about this tool on the SDN homepage! I was just thinking in terms of posted threads in this board. But that Interview Feedback tool is nice too. You're right, though....mostly medical school feedback. :( I'll try and add my stuff there as much as possible as well.