UPenn Pathology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathApplicant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was browsing this year's match lists on another thread on this website. I noticed that of the 4 people from UPenn that are going into path, none of them matched there (2 at Stanford, 1 MGH, 1 Mayo). I think many people here would consider UPenn to be one of the "elite" residency training programs. Did anyone interview there or know what's going on? Just a coincidence for this year :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I was browsing this year's match lists on another thread on this website. I noticed that of the 4 people from UPenn that are going into path, none of them matched there (2 at Stanford, 1 MGH, 1 Mayo). I think many people here would consider UPenn to be one of the "elite" residency training programs. Did anyone interview there or know what's going on? Just a coincidence for this year :confused:

The places they matched at aren't exactly bottom-of-the-barrel programs either...

For argument's sake, last year (2010), 3/6 path applicants from Penn matched at Penn.

Sometimes people want/need to stay in a particular city, some want/need to move elsewhere, +/- several other factors.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there and saw no real red flags. In fact, I thought it was an absolutely wonderful program (I would have ranked them first if it wasn't for the location). There was a change in the program director but it seemed like the out-going director had spent a while there and felt it was time to go, and not leaving for a bad reason. The new director seemed very nice and focused on keeping it a great program. Another reason may be that they still have an interim chair and searching for a permanent.

I don't think either of those reasons was enough to scare a person away. The residents seemed to be getting a great education while staying happy, which is what I think anyone hopes for. Of course, this is all based on a one day interview.

I also had the opportunity to meet three students from Penn that were applying for pathology and they had nothing but great things to say about the program but seemed to want to go elsewhere just for personal reasons (like moving west).

From what I've seen of the match lists on SDN, it looks like a lot of people from schools with programs are not staying at those programs. Like it was said above, I have a feeling people wanted to branch out and go somewhere else. So, it might have bee a location issue for a lot of people rather than a program issue.

This is slightly off the original topic but pertains to UPenn Pathology because I applied for an away rotation there. My parents live about 1hr outside of Philly, so I wanted to commute. I was wondering if there are any current residents or anyone familiar with their schedule give me some insight on their surg path hours. I want to be able to commute to save money, but if the hours are too long/early/late I might rethink my plans. I need to respond within 10 days (from today) and submit a non-refundable $150 deposit, so I want to make an "educated" decision about it. Thanks in advance.

there are two factors here. one is university/med sch name and the other is pathology program strength. UPenn has a big name. but pathology is extremely weak. i consider it as top 30 only at most in terms of pathology strength. however, their residents are among the top.

The MS4s leaving Penn for their path residency all have personal reasons. All of them rotated through the department on various electives and to the best of my knowledge, all had a good experience.

To answer the more general questions: Penn has a GREAT path residency. I chose it once and would choose it again. Work hours and resident satisfaction have undergone massive changes since the bad old days of 4+ years ago, proving that the department is very very responsive to resident issues. Almost to a fault (having seen the beneficial effects of "tough love" in some other programs and specialties). The program is relatively benign, for a big institution, and the resident group is extremely social and friendly. There is a good mix of research and non research oriented people.

There is a new program director in place; the previous director has stepped down after ten years of nonstop advocacy for residents with very beneficial results. The new director is very well liked, is well known in pathology education circles and will do a good job. The new department chair has been named and will be in place by July 1. So some of the transitional issues that have been mentioned will become non-issues very soon.

In AP, the major shortcomings of the program would probably be case volume and diversity. The ratio of surgical specimens to trainees is just a little low. There are easy ways to make up for this. As usual, what you get out depends on what you put in.

Deudedano--your hours as a med student rotator will be nothing to worry about. Business hours. If you are cool with a 1 hour commute, by all means save some money and stay with your parents.

To answer the more general questions: Penn has a GREAT path residency. I chose it once and would choose it again. Work hours and resident satisfaction have undergone massive changes since the bad old days of 4+ years ago, proving that the department is very very responsive to resident issues. Almost to a fault (having seen the beneficial effects of "tough love" in some other programs and specialties). The program is relatively benign, for a big institution, and the resident group is extremely social and friendly. There is a good mix of research and non research oriented people.

There is a new program director in place; the previous director has stepped down after ten years of nonstop advocacy for residents with very beneficial results. The new director is very well liked, is well known in pathology education circles and will do a good job. The new department chair has been named and will be in place by July 1. So some of the transitional issues that have been mentioned will become non-issues very soon.

As a recent graduate of the Penn path program who passed the boards and is now training at one of the top fellowships in my field, i can agree with everything posted above. I never experienced the "old" surg path model but heard plenty from the senior residents about it when i first started. this is the grossing to 2 am that was posted about in that [oh-so relevant] thread from 2007. I've lived through both the modified and current SP models and the current model is great. The work hour problems were mostly 10 hours off between duty periods (never really a prob with 80 hrs) and are a thing of the past.

The former residency director was amazing. I give him a lot of credit for improving the place and think he needed a rest after the last 10 crazy years. The new PD is going to be good, too. I hadn't heard about the new chair. That's great.

I don't blame people for being nervous about big transitions in the program, but people that are currently there know there's nothing to worry about.

Definitely the best part about the place is the people. i had a lot of great co-residents to work with over the years. that is something valued very highly at Penn. you could be a selfish jackass with 1,000 published papers etc, but you're still a jackass and thanks but no thanks.

i wouldn't read much into no one in-house staying this year. people pick their programs for many different reasons and you have no idea if any of them had couples match/family issues/a desire to relocate.

For argument's sake, last year (2010), 3/6 path applicants from Penn matched at Penn.

Sometimes people want/need to stay in a particular city, some want/need to move elsewhere, +/- several other factors.

and 2 of those 3 were former student fellows at Penn...