UPenn Pathology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nor2themax

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why UPenn is on a 2 year cycle for ACGME inspection? I know they are considered a top program, so I was just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know why UPenn is on a 2 year cycle for ACGME inspection? I know they are considered a top program, so I was just curious.

from the horse's mouth: work hour violations at the previous inspection. the program was given 2 yrs to fix the problem. the problem was fixed very shortly after the inspection. end of problem. bring it on, ACGME!

from the horse's mouth: work hour violations at the previous inspection. the program was given 2 yrs to fix the problem. the problem was fixed very shortly after the inspection. end of problem. bring it on, ACGME!

Work hour violations in Path?? Yikes! Would that fit the general parameters of a "malignant" program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Work hour violations in Path?? Yikes! Would that fit the general parameters of a "malignant" program?

not at all. and not the 80 hour rule that most people think of. the 10 hour off between work periords (ie you must leave by 9:30 pm to be back in at 7:30 am). we had a major increase in specimen volume a few years ago, when only 4 residents were on surg path at a time (four day rotation cycle), some times 30 bigs to cut/day. we were planning to switch to the subspecialty model even prior to the ACGME inspection. our interim system had 6 residents on at a time, with a three day rotation cycle so spilt the volume in half. now with subspecialty, we have 8 residents x four day rotation cycle. MUCH better. dedicated FULL review day. highly valued by the attending. who else can say that?

and you may be surprised about programs that violate and don't report it....

i'm surprised. I figured with all their thyroid consults and given LiVolsi's well-known diagnostic style (it's malignant the minute you've taken it out of the person), I figured they'd fly through their consult material. Perhaps there's other reasons...

i'm surprised. I figured with all their thyroid consults and given LiVolsi's well-known diagnostic style (it's malignant the minute you've taken it out of the person), I figured they'd fly through their consult material. Perhaps there's other reasons...

yeeeeeeeah that makes absolutely no sense....

why listen to someone who actually knows the inner workings of the program?

Penn is known for being top 5 in AP but kind of soft in CP