Nor2themax

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
Michigan
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Does anyone know why UPenn is on a 2 year cycle for ACGME inspection? I know they are considered a top program, so I was just curious.

HbyHA

Fellowship, take 2.
10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Does anyone know why UPenn is on a 2 year cycle for ACGME inspection? I know they are considered a top program, so I was just curious.

from the horse's mouth: work hour violations at the previous inspection. the program was given 2 yrs to fix the problem. the problem was fixed very shortly after the inspection. end of problem. bring it on, ACGME!

TMZ2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2007
USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
from the horse's mouth: work hour violations at the previous inspection. the program was given 2 yrs to fix the problem. the problem was fixed very shortly after the inspection. end of problem. bring it on, ACGME!

Work hour violations in Path?? Yikes! Would that fit the general parameters of a "malignant" program?

About the Ads

HbyHA

Fellowship, take 2.
10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Work hour violations in Path?? Yikes! Would that fit the general parameters of a "malignant" program?

not at all. and not the 80 hour rule that most people think of. the 10 hour off between work periords (ie you must leave by 9:30 pm to be back in at 7:30 am). we had a major increase in specimen volume a few years ago, when only 4 residents were on surg path at a time (four day rotation cycle), some times 30 bigs to cut/day. we were planning to switch to the subspecialty model even prior to the ACGME inspection. our interim system had 6 residents on at a time, with a three day rotation cycle so spilt the volume in half. now with subspecialty, we have 8 residents x four day rotation cycle. MUCH better. dedicated FULL review day. highly valued by the attending. who else can say that?

and you may be surprised about programs that violate and don't report it....

Path_Anon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status (Visible)

i'm surprised. I figured with all their thyroid consults and given LiVolsi's well-known diagnostic style (it's malignant the minute you've taken it out of the person), I figured they'd fly through their consult material. Perhaps there's other reasons...

HbyHA

Fellowship, take 2.
10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
i'm surprised. I figured with all their thyroid consults and given LiVolsi's well-known diagnostic style (it's malignant the minute you've taken it out of the person), I figured they'd fly through their consult material. Perhaps there's other reasons...

yeeeeeeeah that makes absolutely no sense....

why listen to someone who actually knows the inner workings of the program?

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

Penn is known for being top 5 in AP but kind of soft in CP

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.