UPenn Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Disagree, I think she would benefit from some undergrad postbac to lift her undergrad GPA to around 3.0, then a SMP. It's also possible a SMP such as EVMS may be an option, as they take most of their students who do well into their own program.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting thought drizzt. I just feel an adcom would look at a resume where one got a 3.5 at a 'top' grad school and then chose to return to UG work with a raised eyebrow.
Its like taking a 400 level class in say bio, and then returning to take the 100 level class. An MS in microbio won't leave many classes left to do if the OP did a science UG major.
Maybe an MPH? A MS in Biomedical sciences or an MBS isn't going to help a lot more than her existing MS in Microbio.

Interesting thought drizzt. I just feel an adcom would look at a resume where one got a 3.5 at a 'top' grad school and then chose to return to UG work with a raised eyebrow.
Its like taking a 400 level class in say bio, and then returning to take the 100 level class. An MS in microbio won't leave many classes left to do if the OP did a science UG major.
Maybe an MPH? A MS in Biomedical sciences or an MBS isn't going to help a lot more than her existing MS in Microbio.

I had a MS and MBA when I went back to take the prereqs in postbac <shrug> The adcoms at 26 schools still thought enough of me to give me interviews...

If the OP's weakness is undergraduate GPA, no amount of graduate coursework (except a SMP) will fix that.

Members don't see this ad :)
But what was ur MS in? Was it science?
I can understand returning if one's degrees aren't covering the pre-reqs (clearly your MBA falls into this).

you clearly know more than I on the issue, especially if it worked for you. Just on the surface, a science UG having done the pre-reqs, and a MS in microbio - it's a bit surprising to return to a post-bac program

But what was ur MS in? Was it science?
I can understand returning if one's degrees aren't covering the pre-reqs (clearly your MBA falls into this).

you clearly know more than I on the issue, especially if it worked for you. Just on the surface, a science UG having done the pre-reqs, and a MS in microbio - it's a bit surprising to return to a post-bac program

My MS was in engineering. The poster in question needs to improve their undergrad GPA, therefore they MUST take undergrad classes. That's just the way it is regardless of what degrees they have. The only other option is a high-linkage SMP, because even if they did a regular SMP, it would be next to impossible to get into schools applying in the open pool w/ < 3.0 GPA.

To ANYBODY...

1. So you would choose UPenn over BU MAMS?

This is a tough decision for me.

2. Which is Cheaper?
3. What is the success rate for UPenn SSP after 1 vs 2 years?

Also another major factor that needs to be weighed in on is that with the UPenn SSP you pretty much have no shot of getting into UPenn Medical School, even with a 4.0. At BU and Georgetown (both top 50 Med Schools) a successful SMP means a good likelihood of being accepted to the respected school. But I could me wrong because UPenn could get one farther than I am aware of.

4. With a 3.0 to 3.3 undergrad GPA before entering UPenn SSP what medical schools are you aware of people getting into after completing the UPenn SSP and what GPA in the SSP?

To ANYBODY...

2. Which is Cheaper?

Also another major factor that needs to be weighed in on is that with the UPenn SSP you pretty much have no shot of getting into UPenn Medical School, even with a 4.0. At BU and Georgetown (both top 50 Med Schools) a successful SMP means a good likelihood of being accepted to the respected school. But I could me wrong because UPenn could get one farther than I am aware of.

4. With a 3.0 to 3.3 undergrad GPA before entering UPenn SSP what medical schools are you aware of people getting into after completing the UPenn SSP and what GPA in the SSP?

I think only about 10-15% of the people in BU/GT get accepted into their programs, and they probably came in with much more competitive GPA/MCATs. I think with a 3.2 or less, you'll benefit more from the SMP, 3.3-3.5 you'd probably benefit more from SSP + improving MCAT if it's below 32.

I dunno Kristy. An SMP won't help you that much as you already have a MS. I wouldn't do a Post-Bac either as you've already done Grad School coursework and going back down to undergrad wouldn't be wise.

Did you do ok on the MCAT? Why not just apply? a 3.5 from a top school would go a long way to balancing off your low UG gpa

I've heard some people say this but other people seem to think if I apply to schools I will just get screened out by not even having a 3.0 and that undergrad grades are more important :\

Drizzt had some good advice - had a similar situation to yours. i'd listen to that advice, but Drizzt and I have agreed to disagree. haha

I'm in a different boat, so i'm not sure.

I think only about 10-15% of the people in BU/GT get accepted into their programs, and they probably came in with much more competitive GPA/MCATs.

I consider 10-15% pretty good considering all the circumstances. From what I hear as long as you are above around a 3.2 undergrad gpa and 30+ MCAT, knocking the SMP out of the ballpark (3.7+) will make you very competitive for the 10-15% that do get into BU or GT.

I consider 10-15% pretty good considering all the circumstances. From what I hear as long as you are above around a 3.2 undergrad gpa and 30+ MCAT, knocking the SMP out of the ballpark (3.7+) will make you very competitive for the 10-15% that do get into BU or GT.

I think you're going to have to do a bit better than that or have better grades coming in. I had a few friends in the program this last cycle that had 3.7-3.8s in the program (mostly honors with a few high passes) and 3.5-3.6/30s going in that did not get into or in some cases interview at GT (and only 2 out of 4 of them got into med school during the SMP year, one of them to DO)

I think you're going to have to do a bit better than that or have better grades coming in. I had a few friends in the program this last cycle that had 3.7-3.8s in the program (mostly honors with a few high passes) and 3.5-3.6/30s going in that did not get into or in some cases interview at GT (and only 2 out of 4 of them got into med school during the SMP year, one of them to DO)

I didn't say with those numbers you would be a sure bet to get into BU or GT medical school but that you would be very competitive. The numbers I mentioned come from the admissions office at BU when I called in. There are no guarantees. I was told the undergrad gpa is not as important as the smp gpa but they still look at undergrad gpa and trends. I know BU recommends certain classes in their smp that they look favorably on if you get an A, like histology.

I didn't say with those numbers you would be a sure bet to get into BU or GT medical school but that you would be very competitive. The numbers I mentioned come from the admissions office at BU when I called in. There are no guarantees. I was told the undergrad gpa is not as important as the smp gpa but they still look at undergrad gpa and trends. I know BU recommends certain classes in their smp that they look favorably on if you get an A, like histology.

Yeah, it just depends. Keep in mind as recently as last year, BU had a bunch of people (10-15 IIRC) remediate first year which cost spots usually reserved for SMP students...

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,
i am just starting my app - i didn't realize Penn's applications were rolling.
does anyone know if it's heavily advantageous to get the application is ASAP?
thanks!

i dunno if its advantageous necessarily, a student who gave us a tour of the campus applied in august and got in, but I wouldn't chance it, send it in already. they're already giving out acceptances for the fall 08 classes.

anyone know of good, fairly cheap places to live near campus that they've found? i've been looking around, but there are so many out there, wanted to know from those who live in the area, which ones are well worth looking into. thanks

SAEbrodel-
I went to UPenn as an undregrad and lived off campus for 3 of the years, so I know a bit about the housing situation...
Most students who live off campus live just to the west of campus. At some point in the past it wasn't the safest area, but Penn's been making a huge effort about that so it's really not an issue anymore - and the housing is still cheaper. So tons of students live between like 38th and 45th and between like Pine and Chestnut. Hamilton Court is pretty popular but it's not actually the nicest building. If you happen to have others you want to live with, renting a whole house can be a pretty sweet deal.
... anyway, feel free to ask if you have more/specific questions.

Hi dcc,

Do you know of any website where future students can start looking at apartment listings? Thanks, a first time renter here, so I'm still new to this :).

And about rolling applications, my advisor heavily emphasized getting in the applications ASAP. If you feel like your current application can't be significantly improved in the near future, then it's probably in your interest to submit it soon (the later you wait, the less open spots there will be, which means your application will need to be that much more amazing in order to get accepted).

Yea, I'll get my app in asap. Honestly, I was holding out a little hoping to hear from Bryn Mawr but I seem to be quasi-wait-listed so I'd like to get my Penn app rolling.

Penn does have a website to help off-campus housing searches:
http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/offcampusservices/

It's a good resource but honestly craigslist is just as useful. If you're on craigslist try searching "university city" - that's the general name for the whole area around Penn.

good luck!

Well I guess the main reason why I wouldn't choose UPenn is that you do not get a degree and it is meant to be 1 year of classes followed by a glide year for a total of 2 years before entering medical school.

2. Which is Cheaper?

I've already answered your questions or some variation of it over PM a long time ago, but I will answer your questions in this post for the benefit of everyone else.

1. Assuming you are successful in attaining acceptance to medical school, what are you going to use that master's degree for? Moreover, what are you going to do with that degree if you DON'T get in? I don't understand the fixation on the whole degree thing. The whole point of this exercise is to get into medical school and ultimately obtain a MD degree or MD/PhD, which are terminal degrees. If you're willing to pay for a master's degree that may or may not be terribly competitive in this job market OR will be next to useless when you go to medical school, then hey, it's your money.

The only time I'd recommend doing a SMP is if you have a low enough GPA (< 3.2 or so) and a high MCAT (32+), that would pay more dividends than going to a post-bac. But realize that doing the SMP because it grants a degree while a post-bac does not is not only a silly proposition, but it is also a costly one.

2. Penn SSP is going to be far cheaper than BU MAMS. You'll be paying tuition to BU for two years, while at Penn you'll be paying tuition for 1, maybe 1.5 years, and if you get a job during your glide year, making some of that money back. Don't forget that the cost of living in Boston is greater than that of Philadelphia.

3. As far as I can tell, from myself and the people I know, the success rate is surprisingly good. Some people have gotten into top schools, but they came in with good enough numbers (3.4-3.6, 35+) that a good year in the program made them competitive. Others did very well with more ordinary numbers. But a couple couldn't hack it on the MCAT and are still waiting to apply, or will have to reapply, and I've heard of people being asked to leave the program after a poor semester. Ultimately, these programs aren't going to take you where you want to go - the onus is on you to put in the work, get the grades and proactively seek out the advising/information you need to maximize your success.

4. In this particular segment (3.0-3.3), I've heard of people getting into different schools in the Top 25. One is going to Penn Med, another is going to Pittsburgh. Another is currently choosing between multiple top-ranked schools. I'm sure there are others who are very successful. Also, a lot of people tend to stay in the area and go to places like Jefferson, Drexel, Temple and PCOM, or their home state schools.

don't really have much to contribute right now...however, completing the special science program has been quite beneficial to me.

I have been accepted to a number of schools. When I did receive notice of acceptances via phone from deans of admission they ALWAYS mentioned the supposed "rigor" of Penn's Special Science program. Clearly med schools value the name!

riceman,

but did you have a good gpa going into the program and a strong mcat?....mdapplicant #??

how many interviews/acceptances?

Roadrunner,

You make very strong points and I think you are swaying me back to choose Upenn SSP. I literally am stressed and don't know what I am going to do now. I guess my biggest concern is that even with good grades at Upenn (3.9+) I can only improve my uGPA to 3.32 science and 3.4 overall. I know you said it can be done with those numbers but for some reason I feel I will need a spectacular MCAT to make up for the lower GPA.

1. So basically I can't compare by GPA with the average medical school matriculant because of the unique situation I am in and the record of improvement?

2. I sorry for being paranoid but what are some of the lower stats (if you are aware) w/MCAT, uGPA, and UPenn SSP GPA of people getting into allopathic medical schools.

3. Also with the linkage to RWJMS how many spots are offered? Or is it if you meet the 3.6 UPenn SSP GPA and 3.2 undergrad GPA you will be granted an interview? Still I asked my interviewer this and he did not know how many spots were available at RWJMS. It would be nice to know that if I bust my butt during the program that spots are actually available and that not only the top performers are eligible for the accelerated acceptance.

Last edited:
multipost

Last edited:
multipost

Last edited:
Thanks dcc for the website. Good luck with your apps :).

Yea, I'll get my app in asap. Honestly, I was holding out a little hoping to hear from Bryn Mawr but I seem to be quasi-wait-listed so I'd like to get my Penn app rolling.

Penn does have a website to help off-campus housing searches:
http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/offcampusservices/

It's a good resource but honestly craigslist is just as useful. If you're on craigslist try searching "university city" - that's the general name for the whole area around Penn.

good luck!

Roadrunner,

You make very strong points and I think you are swaying me back to choose Upenn SSP. I literally am stressed and don't know what I am going to do now. I guess my biggest concern is that even with good grades at Upenn (3.9+) I can only improve my uGPA to 3.32 science and 3.4 overall. I know you said it can be done with those numbers but for some reason I feel I will need a spectacular MCAT to make up for the lower GPA.

You're going to have to do well on the MCAT, but that's true of any lower GPA applicant. It's definitely more achievable to get a 3.9+ in SSP as opposed to getting the same grades in a SMP, though, so I think it evens out. I think a mid 30s MCAT would make you pretty competitive with a good year there.

1. So basically I can't compare by GPA with the average medical school matriculant because of the unique situation I am in and the record of improvement?

You'll still be compared to other applicants, of course, but most schools will pay a little more attention to your recent performance.

For those attending, or those who have finished - any thoughts on which classes to take if you are in SSP?
I wasn't super impressed with the class listings, and was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts.
thanks

For those attending, or those who have finished - any thoughts on which classes to take if you are in SSP?
I wasn't super impressed with the class listings, and was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts.
thanks

I too am interested in the course listings that people recommend. My biggest fear is signing up for a class that's hard as nails, get a low grade on it, and bomb out of the program. If those who have been in the SSP, could you maybe list a few courses u feel are good, and what teachers taught them. Thanks a bunch.

riceman,

but did you have a good gpa going into the program and a strong mcat?....mdapplicant #??

how many interviews/acceptances?

I had a 3.43 (overall) going into the program...3.8 here at Penn, research, volunteering (and not just cookie cutter hospital stuff), 32R MCAT, teaching, tutoring, hobbies, etc...

I finished applications at 28 schools...offered interviews at 20, actually went on 17 interviews....yeah...I'm broke now!!!

Roadrunner,

2. I sorry for being paranoid but what are some of the lower stats (if you are aware) w/MCAT, uGPA, and UPenn SSP GPA of people getting into allopathic medical schools.

3. Also with the linkage to RWJMS how many spots are offered? Or is it if you meet the 3.6 UPenn SSP GPA and 3.2 undergrad GPA you will be granted an interview? Still I asked my interviewer this and he did not know how many spots were available at RWJMS. It would be nice to know that if I bust my butt during the program that spots are actually available and that not only the top performers are eligible for the accelerated acceptance.

BTW: CAVS SUCK!!!!
it's all about the LAKE SHOW!!!!!:smuggrin:
lakers.jpg

riceman, what classes did you take ur fall and spring semester, and how difficult was the course work in them.

i agree, lakers > cavs, all about bynum and kobe. sadly, my bulls lost, so I'm rooting for L.A. all the way.

riceman, what classes did you take ur fall and spring semester, and how difficult was the course work in them.

i agree, lakers > cavs, all about bynum and kobe. sadly, my bulls lost, so I'm rooting for L.A. all the way.

I did not go crazy like some people...I took six classes all while working

1. Chem of the Brain
2. Cellular Neuroscience
3. Cell Bio and Biochem
4. Clin. Research in Emer. Med (I used one of my experiences in this class as the intro in my AMCAS essay)
5. Histology (I TA this class now)
6. Medical Sociology

the course work was actually very easy compared to what I experienced at Rice...but then again these classes are not with Penn undergrads. You can also take day classes (and from what I have seen the content did not seem that much more difficult than LPS night courses)

Last edited:
Hmm thanks for the classes riceman. What did you do during your glide year if you dont mind me asking?

You're going to have to do well on the MCAT, but that's true of any lower GPA applicant. It's definitely more achievable to get a 3.9+ in SSP as opposed to getting the same grades in a SMP, though, so I think it evens out. I think a mid 30s MCAT would make you pretty competitive with a good year there.

You'll still be compared to other applicants, of course, but most schools will pay a little more attention to your recent performance.

100% agree with drizzt here. You'll want to do very well on the MCAT but I think you'll need to do very well on the MCAT no matter where you go and whatever you do.

Schools pay more attention to your recent performance, and well - rice said it, deans have personally told him that the Penn program is considered rigorous (and these schools he's talking about include some of the top schools in the country). So it will help, but ultimately it is up to you to perform.. this will be true no matter where you go, because you're already starting out at a "disadvantage" like the rest of us with lower GPAs.

I had a 3.43 (overall) going into the program...3.8 here at Penn, research, volunteering (and not just cookie cutter hospital stuff), 32R MCAT, teaching, tutoring, hobbies, etc...

I finished applications at 28 schools...offered interviews at 20, actually went on 17 interviews....yeah...I'm broke now!!!

Hahaha you really got owned by the application process :smuggrin:, but I doubt you're complaining now! :laugh: Multiple acceptances ain't no joke.

Myself, came in with a 3.25/3.1, came out with 3.34/3.33 (almost a 4.0 GPA in post-bac) and a 35S was enough to land me 9 interview offers, actually went on 5 and accepted at 4 schools.

Better way to look at it is: our performances and experiences in the post-bac program spoke for itself, rather than the name itself.

BTW: CAVS SUCK!!!!
it's all about the LAKE SHOW!!!!!:smuggrin:
lakers.jpg

WTF rice, that's the most random post lol... what's the relevance here??

Riceman,

LEBRON JAMES

nothing else needs to be said

Last edited:
Hmm thanks for the classes riceman. What did you do during your glide year if you dont mind me asking?

He spent his glide year dropping the soap :smuggrin:

(This isn't too far from the truth, LOL)

I was an engineering major in undergrad so I was able to take advantage of the classes offered here, such as cell bio & biochem, molecular bio and genetics, microbiology, vertebrate physiology, immunobiology, etc. I also took clinical research in emergency med I, like rice did, and I used one of the experiences I had in the ED in my personal statement.

In retrospect, I think it's perfect for engineering/humanities majors, really. If you were a biology major though, I don't know how much it can really help as you've probably had to take all the biology classes in order to graduate. You do have the BIBB classes (which basically are neuroscience classes) though.

For my glide year, I got a research job at CHOP, which has been awesome and I have learned a LOT in clinical research and shadowing experiences.

He spent his glide year dropping the soap :smuggrin:

(This isn't too far from the truth, LOL)

I was an engineering major in undergrad so I was able to take advantage of the classes offered here, such as cell bio & biochem, molecular bio and genetics, microbiology, vertebrate physiology, immunobiology, etc. I also took clinical research in emergency med I, like rice did, and I used one of the experiences I had in the ED in my personal statement.

In retrospect, I think it's perfect for engineering/humanities majors, really. If you were a biology major though, I don't know how much it can really help as you've probably had to take all the biology classes in order to graduate. You do have the BIBB classes (which basically are neuroscience classes) though.

For my glide year, I got a research job at CHOP, which has been awesome and I have learned a LOT in clinical research and shadowing experiences.

ohhhhhhhh gawd!!!!!:laugh::laugh:
Ha...I am currently a research coordinator for a study with HIV pos prison inmates as the study population

However, I have been doing research since 2006 actually (which is when I finished the postbacc program), volunteering as a Big Brother, and working as a Histology TA

Hey!

I just got accepted to UPenn special sciences program and I'm wondering whether to go here or my state school to do my own "post bac"?

I went to a top-20 university for undergrad and was an English major as well as being pre-med. I found that those courses were more focused on weeding people out and had a bad type of competitive atmosphere. I had a 3.2 overall GPA and 2.65 science GPA.

So I'm faced with trying to increase my science GPA where it is more likely to get A's at my state school than UPenn, but UPenn seems like such an amazing opportunity (with all the resources and research available)? I know that Upenn name probably does carry weight, but my grades seem to speak much louder than my undergrad university (which was also a name school).

This answer seems easy. Just go to the state school and get the grades. BUT...I feel that I'm older, more focused, and SO driven to excel in this next year. I'm prepared to work my butt off! Am I being naive? Should I be safe (but not necessarily) and go to my state school or go to UPenn? (which sounds pretty exciting to me)

I want to know what the special sciences classes are like at UPenn? If there are any people who are in the program who have honest insights into how the program is I'd really appreciate your help and advice?

Thank you!!! I'd really really appreciate it!

Hey!

I just got accepted to UPenn special sciences program and I'm wondering whether to go here or my state school to do my own "post bac"?

I went to a top-20 university for undergrad and was an English major as well as being pre-med. I found that those courses were more focused on weeding people out and had a bad type of competitive atmosphere. I had a 3.2 overall GPA and 2.65 science GPA.

So I'm faced with trying to increase my science GPA where it is more likely to get A's at my state school than UPenn, but UPenn seems like such an amazing opportunity (with all the resources and research available)? I know that Upenn name probably does carry weight, but my grades seem to speak much louder than my undergrad university (which was also a name school).

This answer seems easy. Just go to the state school and get the grades. BUT...I feel that I'm older, more focused, and SO driven to excel in this next year. I'm prepared to work my butt off! Am I being naive? Should I be safe (but not necessarily) and go to my state school or go to UPenn? (which sounds pretty exciting to me)

I want to know what the special sciences classes are like at UPenn? If there are any people who are in the program who have honest insights into how the program is I'd really appreciate your help and advice?

Thank you!!! I'd really really appreciate it!

I think SSP would be a good opportunity for you and you also have a good series of opportunities for the glide year.

daisy0624-

I went to UPenn undergrad, and recently talked to a UPenn pre-med advisor about my different post-bacc options. I'm looking at career changers, so could be different, but I think what she told me applies here.

I was considering going to a state school to do my pre-reqs because it was a whole lot cheaper in comparison to the "name" schools. She said I could probably get away with that BECAUSE I had a high undergrad GPA and had therefore sort of already proven that I could cut it at a top school. She said if I had not done as well at Penn she would not recommend that I go to a less known school for my post-bacc as it would look like I was looking for an easy way out....

good luck!

PS TO EVERYONE: This forum is awesome, but don't be afraid to actually CALL PROGRAMS and ask questions directly! They all have recruiters ect that are there for just that purpose, and in my experience quite friendly :)

PS TO EVERYONE: This forum is awesome, but don't be afraid to actually CALL PROGRAMS and ask questions directly! They all have recruiters ect that are there for just that purpose, and in my experience quite friendly :)

In my experience with a few exceptions you aren't going to get a lot out of calling programs. Recruiters are paid to bring students to their programs... your case is slightly different because you went to that undergrad, but in many cases unless they feel a candidate is underqualified they'll try to sell them on a program that isn't necessarily a great fit for them.

RoadRunner,

What classes did you take at UPenn SSP?

How many classes is considered full time - 4cus?

How many classes (cu) from your experiences would you recommend taking each semester?

Are 300 level classes OK to take or is it recommended to take all 400 level classes?

Thanks

In my experience with a few exceptions you aren't going to get a lot out of calling programs. Recruiters are paid to bring students to their programs... your case is slightly different because you went to that undergrad, but in many cases unless they feel a candidate is underqualified they'll try to sell them on a program that isn't necessarily a great fit for them.

It's not like the recruiters work on commission... I think they can be very helpful as long as you know what questions you want to ask. I doubt anyone would intentionally be misleading.

Example 1: I called the CUNY programs and asked "can i be relatively certain that if I am attending your program I will get enrolled in the classes I need." The women answered "I have to be honest with you, there's a decent chance you would not......."
Example 2: I called Penn a few months back and asked them "are there any other programs in the Philadelphia area that I should be considering?" The response was "I think you should definitely look at Bryn Mawr, they have a well established program and I think you might be a qualified candidate..."

It may not work every time - but I imagine generally if you ask specific questions you can get answers.

What are people doing for housing?

i've been looking at apartments mainly on craigslist. Considering a number of students have graduated from Upenn in the spring, I figure within the next month or two they'll start posting more rental availabilities. I'm also deciding whether or not to get a single, or maybe get a 2br with someone else in the SSP. Is anyone looking for a roommate?

RoadRunner,

What classes did you take at UPenn SSP?

Off-hand, I believe I took:
Chemistry I & II + labs
Orgo II
Molecular Bio and Genetics
Cell Bio & Biochem
Microbiology + lab
Immunobiology
Clinical Research in EM I
Vertebrate Physiology

Nothing complicated. Also thought about taking Histology and Adv. Cell Bio but ended up not taking those.

How many classes is considered full time - 4cus?

Yes, 4 credit units. To get your # of credit hours for later on (AMCAS, etc.) you multiply each credit unit you have by 3. This applies to labs, as 0.5 cu = 1.5 credit hours.

How many classes (cu) from your experiences would you recommend taking each semester?

No reason why you can't take 4cu each semester. It depends on what you think you can handle. You can always load another class in the spring semester or take another class or two in the summer if you need to.

Are 300 level classes OK to take or is it recommended to take all 400 level classes?

Didn't seem to matter - I took a bunch of 200 level classes too since I had never taken things like Microbiology or Genetics, etc. But I took Immunobiology and that was a good class... felt like PBL, haha.

Thanks

What are people doing for housing?

You should try looking at 2400 Chestnut, it has the reputation for being a very dependable place in terms of location, landlord, etc.

Most people live in West Philadelphia, but I wouldn't get a place any farther west than 45th Street. There are a bunch of campus housing companies, I think Campus Apartments is pretty good but I wouldn't go with University City Housing (I lived in one of their properties last year, and I would NOT recommend them as a landlord).

If you have extra money to burn, look at the Hub or the Radian, those are very close to campus and are relatively new, very nice places.

Last edited:
Hmm thanks for the info RoadRunner.

Its funny you mention UCH - i've been in contact with them and prices seem good. What was your beef with them?

Question about linking to RWJ; do you have to apply in your first year at SSP to link? Or can you apply whilst in your glide year as one would when applying to other schools?

Question about linking to RWJ; do you have to apply in your first year at SSP to link? Or can you apply whilst in your glide year as one would when applying to other schools?[/QUOTE]

In the pre-health post-bac, the linkage apps are supposed to be in on May first of the year before you start if you are doing one year. A request form must be filled out in order to be considered. I would imagine since the SSP is a one year program that it would be similar, if not identical, to this process.

If one does a two year program then the request is made by May first of the year in between your two years in the program. Like I said, I think your program is one year, but I could be wrong. There is a good amount of info on their site in the current students section about this process. I hope this helps you out.

In the pre-health post-bac, the linkage apps are supposed to be in on May first of the year before you start if you are doing one year. A request form must be filled out in order to be considered. I would imagine since the SSP is a one year program that it would be similar, if not identical, to this process.

If one does a two year program then the request is made by May first of the year in between your two years in the program. Like I said, I think your program is one year, but I could be wrong. There is a good amount of info on their site in the current students section about this process. I hope this helps you out.

Ah that explains why I was a bit clueless. I dont have my PennKey yet so can't get to the current students stuff.

SSP is 1-yr but I was wondering about the logistics of linking as they advise all to apply after their first year in the program, but i couldn't figure out how that worked with linking