UPenn Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any alumni of the program out there could you please share your success with the SSP?

Members don't see this ad.

Any alumni of the program out there could you please share your success with the SSP?
Discussed at length. Try reading the thread
So I am considering applying to this program since the deadline hasn't passed, but I really don't want to spend the money on the application if the program isn't going to help me in the long run.

I have a
3.16 sGPA
3.29 overallGPA
from a top 20 school

No MCAT yet

Would this program benefit me? or should I consider a SMP instead? I can't really seem to find anyone to give me advice because my undergraduate adviser is horrible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Its a waste of time for you. Do an SMP

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone starting this fall?

I have already taken a bunch of the classes offered by Penn (such as developmental biology, biochemistry, immunology, infectious diseases) at my undergraduate institution. If not the same class, a very similar one. I wonder if re-taking them would help me at all?

Last edited:
I have already taken a bunch of the classes offered by Penn (such as developmental biology, biochemistry, immunology, infectious diseases) at my undergraduate institution. If not the same class, a very similar one. I wonder if re-taking them would help me at all?
Probably not

anyone have any more experiences to Share about the UPENN Post Bacc Pre-health program?
- how were the classes? facilities?
- Did the curving really affect you?
- the linkages being a realistic option?
- the staff and support during the medical school application process?
- do they help you study for the MCAT?
- how is living in philadelphia?

any information would be most appreciated!

hi,
i am currently in the Penn Pre Health Post-Bac program (Core Studies track- which means I'm taking the basics: Chem, Bio, Orgo and Physics).
I just finished my first year and honestly, I hate it.
I'm sorry, i hate to be a bummer and maybe its just me, but i feel like the students here are incredibly uptight and competitive and the staff is (mostly-not all) unsupportive.

the difficulty of classes depends on the teacher, though i feel like all lectures are a joke. the teachers just ramble about whatever happens to be on their mind or they read word-for-word, from slides. But like i said, it depends on the teacher. biology was okay because the professor, Dr. Malkus, was flexible, attentive and responsive during office hours and all you need to do is email or talk to her if you have questions. On the other hand, the chemistry prof, Dr. P, is a super fantastic, sweet, and brilliant chemistry nerd, BUT talking to him one-on-one is like talking to a broken record. he stutters and repeats himself and rambles and its impossible to focus on what hes actually saying. i get it, he's brilliant, and hes probably doing some brilliant research that i cant even get my head around, but as a teacher, he sucks.
then theres the guidance staff. i've been assigned to Ms Gianfrancesco/ Mrs Lever, and i dont know if this woman dosn't like me or if i always catch her in a bad mood, but this lady seems to be the most distant, uninterested "guidance counselor" i've ever worked with. the first time I met her in person she said "oh, your the one who emailed me with all the questions." I smiled and laughed it off but in my head i'm like "Woman, isn't it your job to answer my questions??" But that trend of weird-rudeness never stopped. My first semester I was in the hospital for a total of 3 weeks. I studied my booty off the whole time I was in there and even left the hospital against doctors orders to take an exam that I was going to miss one time (and still scored 5 points above the class average). Later, when I went to talk to her about the possibility of going part-time instead of full-time next semester to give myself a break, she flat-out, stone-faced, told me a I should just drop out of the program! No support, no empathy, no interest or recognition of the fact that I had scored in the 90th percentile of 3 out of 4 exams AND the final, and done most of it from the hospital. i figure all this woman cares about is keeping the school's numbers up so they look good.
lastly, maybe i got a bad batch of kids, but holy crap the b*tching that goes on in these classrooms is like some highschool ish. Listen, if someone asks me for help, i have absolutely no problem helping them out, provided they aren't just copying my answers every single day (which has happened to me). everyone's got bad days when they didn't read, they were busy, they had drama, or they just didn't get it. No problem. You need my help? its all good. but dang, these folks sure don't return the favor. you don't know how many people i've given answers to, and then when i asked them for help they turned around and said "figure it out yourself". And the judging that goes on is incredible. I'm one of the only latinas in my class, actually, i think i AM the only latina in my class, and i don't know if thats it or if folks just think i'm stupid for no reason, but we'll all be talking and someone will ask a question, i'll answer it and these people will just ignore me and then walk around for 10 minuets asking everyone else in the classroom before they come back and were like "oh you were right.." I've seen people talking **** about other students standing right in front of them, and then turn around and ask them for answers. its crazy.

i dont know guys, maybe i thought for the money you pay you'd have a higher standard of education and support. and maybe i just had unrealistic expectations about the maturity level of students here, but it really feels like everyone is totally out for themselves. cut-throat, guys. Seriously

Look, having the name "University of Pennsylvania" is gona look really nice on your transcript (provided you do well, because in the end thats all that matters) and the campus is beautiful and living in philly is pretty cool (minus the cold as F winters- but I'm from California, so ya know) but, man be prepared to feel very very alone, unless your good at kissing booty (which I am not- obviously).

btw- my undergrad gpa was 3.74 (BA in Sociology) and my current gpa is 3.53 (still getting used to these science courses. it uses a different part of your brain, you know?).

Last edited:
how many classes do full time students take? i heard that generally students should take no more than 3, but do people take 4? thanks for the help

hi,
in my experience, most students only took 2 courses, each with a lecture, lab and recitation. The students who take 3 can complete the program in one year, but many of them seem to regret it half-way through and switch down to 2 the next semester and then finish up during the summer (not all, of course!). I have not seen anyone take 4 courses at once. It seems suicidal to me, but I'm sure there are some folks who can handle that level of insanity and survive :) but the main thing is to get As. It would be stupid to try to get it all done for the sake of time and then only get Bs, or worse Cs! lol.

Last edited:
anyone have any more experiences to Share about the UPENN Post Bacc Pre-health program?
- how were the classes? facilities?
- Did the curving really affect you?
- the linkages being a realistic option?
- the staff and support during the medical school application process?
- do they help you study for the MCAT?
- how is living in philadelphia?

any information would be most appreciated!

hi,
i am currently in the Penn PostBac program. I just finished my first year and honestly, I hate it.
I'm sorry, i hate to be a bummer and maybe its just me, but i feel like the students here are incredibly uptight and competitive and the staff is (mostly-not all) unsupportive.

the difficulty of classes depends on the teacher, though i feel like all lectures are a joke. the teachers just ramble about whatever happens to be on their mind or they read word-for-word, from slides. But like i said, it depends on the teacher. biology was okay because the professor, Dr. Malkus, was flexible, attentive and responsive during office hours and all you need to do is email or talk to her if you have questions. On the other hand, the chemistry prof, Dr. P, is a super fantastic, sweet, and brilliant chemistry nerd, BUT talking to him one-on-one is like talking to a broken record. he stutters and repeats himself and rambles and its impossible to focus on what hes actually saying. i get it, he's brilliant, and hes probably doing some brilliant research that i cant even get my head around, but as a teacher, he sucks.
then theres the guidance staff. i've been assigned to Ms Gianfrancesco/ Mrs Lever, and i dont know if this woman dosn't like me or if i always catch her in a bad mood, but this lady seems to be the most distant, uninterested "guidance counselor" i've ever worked with. the first time I met her in person she said "oh, your the one who emailed me with all the questions." I smiled and laughed it off but in my head i'm like "Woman, isn't it your job to answer my questions??" But that trend of weird-rudeness never stopped. My first semester I was in the hospital for a total of 3 weeks. I studied my booty off the whole time I was in there and even left the hospital against doctors orders to take an exam that I was going to miss one time (and still scored 5 points above the class average). Later, when I went to talk to her about the possibility of going part-time instead of full-time next semester to give myself a break, she flat-out, stone-faced, told me a I should just drop out of the program! No support, no empathy, no interest or recognition of the fact that I had scored in the 90th percentile of 3 out of 4 exams AND the final, and done most of it from the hospital. i figure all this woman cares about is keeping the school's numbers up so they look good.
lastly, maybe i got a bad batch of kids, but holy crap the b*tching that goes on in these classrooms is like some highschool ish. Listen, if someone asks me for help, i have absolutely no problem helping them out, provided they aren't just copying my answers every single day (which has happened to me). everyone's got bad days when they didn't read, they were busy, they had drama, or they just didn't get it. No problem. You need my help? its all good. but dang, these folks sure don't return the favor. you don't know how many people i've given answers to, and then when i asked them for help they turned around and said "figure it out yourself". And the judging that goes on is incredible. I'm one of the only latinas in my class, actually, i think i AM the only latina in my class, and i don't know if thats it or if folks just think i'm stupid for no reason, but we'll all be talking and someone will ask a question, i'll answer it and these people will just ignore me and then walk around for 10 minuets asking everyone else in the classroom before they come back and were like "oh you were right.." I've seen people talking **** about other students standing right in front of them, and then turn around and ask them for answers. its crazy.

i dont know guys, maybe i thought for the money you pay you'd have a higher standard of education and support. and maybe i just had unrealistic expectations about the maturity level of students here, but it really feels like everyone is totally out for themselves. cut-throat, guys. Seriously

Look, having the name "University of Pennsylvania" is gona look really nice on your transcript (provided you do well, because in the end thats all that matters) and the campus is beautiful and living in philly is pretty cool (minus the cold as F winters- but I'm from California, so ya know) but, man be prepared to feel very very alone, unless your good at kissing booty (which I am not- obviously).

btw- my undergrad gpa was 3.74 (BA in Sociology) and my current gpa is 3.53 (still getting used to these science courses. it uses a different part of your brain, you know?).

I checked the website and it still says orientation date TBD. I think we will find out in July.

Hey just got an email from them actually you prob got it as well- it's August 28th @ noon. Thanks for checking the website tho!

That sounds like a terrible experience. Maybe the snobby people are vain and attracted to the big name. Maybe it's the big city? People in California are just much nicer. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds like a terrible experience. Maybe the snobby people are vain and attracted to the big name. Maybe it's the big city? People in California are just much nicer. =)
Or look at it as people in Cali are too sensitive... two sides to every coin.

Doesn't sound like penn is a good fit for this kid - that doesnt mean the program is good or bad; just not the right fit for this student

Or look at it as people in Cali are too sensitive... two sides to every coin.

Doesn't sound like penn is a good fit for this kid - that doesnt mean the program is good or bad; just not the right fit for this student

I agree, plus post baccs in general are usually very cut throat, hard to find a program where this isn't the case at least for many of the students.

The specialized studies program IMO was much more laid back, though we all were very serious about studying I think we still had a lot of fun. At least amongst the people I usually hung out with.

Hello, I am interested in Penn's post-bac pre health program, for those with little or no science experience, in order to get the pre reqs I need for PA school. I was wondering if anyone on here that has got accepted could post there stats they had when entering from undergrad, GPA, SAT scores, etc. I know penn is highly competitive but I am not exactly sure how much so for this pre health program. Any knowledge or advice would be great. Thanks

Do any of these closed classes reopen? My schedule would be just perfect if I could take microbio as well.

Hello all

I've just graduated with a 3.4 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA with a strong upward trend. My MCAT is a 25 (8/7/10) and I retook it last month (awaiting scores) I had a lackluster first two and half years of undergrad after which I began improving significantly. I've applied to the Upenn SSP and USF MSMS. I got into USF and got an interview invite for SSP last week. Im still unable to decide which program I should go into as I've been hearing mixed things about both.
To me, Penn sounds like a good step up but Ill be taking undergrad courses for a sixth year (i graduated in 5 years) whereas USF MSMS means Ill be taking strange but pseudo grad courses.

Also it seems like time is running thin + im going to India for a mission trip :scared:

help?

Hey, are there any Core Studies applicants on this thread? Also, does anyone know when will be their next interview day?

Thanks!

Hello all

I've just graduated with a 3.4 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA with a strong upward trend. My MCAT is a 25 (8/7/10) and I retook it last month (awaiting scores) I had a lackluster first two and half years of undergrad after which I began improving significantly. I've applied to the Upenn SSP and USF MSMS. I got into USF and got an interview invite for SSP last week. Im still unable to decide which program I should go into as I've been hearing mixed things about both.
To me, Penn sounds like a good step up but Ill be taking undergrad courses for a sixth year (i graduated in 5 years) whereas USF MSMS means Ill be taking strange but pseudo grad courses.

Also it seems like time is running thin + im going to India for a mission trip :scared:

help?
I would do SSP if you can get your cGPA above 3.5 with a good year of grades - though at this point your MCAT makes or breaks everything.

I wouldn't do USF because 1) as you said there are some odd things about it 2) doesnt count as a true SMP 3) general waste of money 4) you burn your "SMP" option (i.e. you can always do an SMP after UPenn if you had to, you can't do another SMP after USF...)

RonJack - I'm waiting on a decision - I applied and had my interview 2 weeks ago to the day. They told me 'two weeks', so we'll see....

Got my application in at the buzzer! I'm a non-trad student that graduated a few years ago and have been working in finance/consulting. Had a great experience working with veterans as part of my job, and am looking to parlay that experience into a meaningful career in veterans health.

Fingers crossed. I really hope there is a slot for me.

EDIT: Applicant for Core-Studies

so i have already taken the MCAT that means no linkage for me?

(for specialized-science program)

so i have already taken the MCAT that means no linkage for me?

(for specialized-science program)
depends on which school you were thinking of linking to, but yes for the most part. there may be one or two exceptions

Linking overall is so overrated and def from Penn

depends on which school you were thinking of linking to, but yes for the most part. there may be one or two exceptions

Linking overall is so overrated and def from Penn

i agree i think some of the linkage requirements are overrated.

Some of the stats they ask for are good enough to land in a US med school. However its a good feeling to know you have a guarantee admission.

are thy any good linkage programs? I was looking at NYU post-bac linkages and i found it to be better with all the options to link to.

i agree i think some of the linkage requirements are overrated.

Some of the stats they ask for are good enough to land in a US med school. However its a good feeling to know you have a guarantee admission.

are thy any good linkage programs? I was looking at NYU post-bac linkages and i found it to be better with all the options to link to.
I dont buy into any linkages and they arent guaranteed either. They are last minute process and you still do interviews and stuff. Its a back door, but not a free pass.

And NYU - well, lets just say you should do your reading on SDN about it then make up your own mind

Just curious if anyone who interviewed Monday (I believe there were 6 or 7 of us) has heard back yet. No news on my end just yet.

Bumping my own reply, but admitted! Starting in....one week! Anyone else out there get some good news?

What do you think of the classes so far? Impressions?

Though there is a separate for sale forum, I wanted to reach out to other Penn postbac students to offer my set of Berkeley Review MCAT prep books. I am selling the entire set and will sell at a dscounted price. I am selling all 8 books for $120. This is a steal since you cannot get used set for less than $200. PM me if you are interested. They also helped me with my postbac work as well!

hi,
i am currently in the Penn PostBac program. I just finished my first year and honestly, I hate it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, Sitalee! I read your detailed post about penn's program and it was really disconcerting. I'm sorry about the lack of support that you experienced in the program. Are you still in it? I am a minority student as well, thinking about applying. I have a 3.3 in the humanities from a top 10 university, my science GPA is a 1.85, if and only if, they count my "D" in neuropsychology; my only other BMCP grade is from a math course.

I am really concerned about getting in, staying in and finishing the program in my desired time length (I hope to finish everything in one year). Given my lackluster GPA (I struggled in a "big name" college that is notorious for curving ALL grades; hence, I graduated at the bottom half of my class), do I have a shot at doing the program?

I read that you are doing the part-time option, so are you working and going to school? Does it help with the cost? I am resigned to the fact that if I do post-bacc next year, I will be taking out a 60K loan. My only alternative is to continue to live with my family, do an informal program at a state college which is cheaper, but requires students to take classes full-time for 2 years. I really don't want to do that (a point of personal pride and I am worried that medical adcoms would be like "wtf, why did you downgrade?")

I am sorry for spilling my guts on the internet like this lol, but I could REALLY use any sort of advice. Like I said before, I am also an underrepresented minority student, my undergrad experience was at times hellish, and I don't want to go through that again if I can help it.
Several things come to mind from reading this;
1) If undergrad was "hellish", what do you think med school will be like? Why was it hellish?
2) Sitalee apparently didn't have a great time but I (and several others in this thread) did have a good time; and there are 3 UPenn post-bac alums in my med school class (2 pre-health, and one SSP)
3) You have to swallow your pride. Medicine requires it, and you need to get past it. You pride is worth $60k in debt to you? Based on the little you have shared thus far, I would say staying at home with a solid support structure and spending less money is the way to go - seems way better than move to a new city with no support system and shell out a lot of money.

Several things come to mind from reading this;
1) If undergrad was "hellish", what do you think med school will be like? Why was it hellish?
2) Sitalee apparently didn't have a great time but I (and several others in this thread) did have a good time; and there are 3 UPenn post-bac alums in my med school class (2 pre-health, and one SSP)
3) You have to swallow your pride. Medicine requires it, and you need to get past it. You pride is worth $60k in debt to you? Based on the little you have shared thus far, I would say staying at home with a solid support structure and spending less money is the way to go - seems way better than move to a new city with no support system and shell out a lot of money.

Hey, I've seen you on multiple forums and noticed how keen you were on the post-baccalaureate process. I was wondering if you could offer some advice?

About me:
1) My cGPA is a 3.38 and my sGPA is a 3.3 (AMCAs calculated)

2) I have two W's on my transcript, one for Orgo II and the other for Physics II. I retook Orgo II and got a C+ (not a B+/A like I wanted but better than another W) and I also retook Physics II and got an A- (First time I took Physics II I got a D+, the second time I withdrew and third time is when I got the A-.....really looks bad, I know!)

3) I have a slight downward trend in my grades. I started off with a 3.9 in my freshman year, then had some bumps in the road (as mentioned above).

4) My only MCAT on file is a 14N (took it in 2011; clearly wasn't prepared and stupidly wrote the exam). I was able to raise my score up to a 23 (on practice exams only). I'm definitely going to retake it, only when I score 30+ on practice tests.

5) I have a wealth of EC's and honors including volunteer work, internships, and community service. Have not been published or anything spectacular but interesting. I am a two recipient of the SUNY Chancellors Award.

6) Great LORS. One of which includes the President from the CC I attended for my first two years in undergrad.

7) I'm a male URM. (I hear that helps some)

So is there any hope for me? What should I do to boost my application? SMP? Graduate degree? ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hey, I've seen you on multiple forums and noticed how keen you were on the post-baccalaureate process. I was wondering if you could offer some advice?

About me:
1) My cGPA is a 3.38 and my sGPA is a 3.3 (AMCAs calculated)

2) I have two W's on my transcript, one for Orgo II and the other for Physics II. I retook Orgo II and got a C+ (not a B+/A like I wanted but better than another W) and I also retook Physics II and got an A- (First time I took Physics II I got a D+, the second time I withdrew and third time is when I got the A-.....really looks bad, I know!)

3) I have a slight downward trend in my grades. I started off with a 3.9 in my freshman year, then had some bumps in the road (as mentioned above).

4) My only MCAT on file is a 14N (took it in 2011; clearly wasn't prepared and stupidly wrote the exam). I was able to raise my score up to a 23 (on practice exams only). I'm definitely going to retake it, only when I score 30+ on practice tests.

5) I have a wealth of EC's and honors including volunteer work, internships, and community service. Have not been published or anything spectacular but interesting. I am a two recipient of the SUNY Chancellors Award.

6) Great LORS. One of which includes the President from the CC I attended for my first two years in undergrad.

7) I'm a male URM. (I hear that helps some)

So is there any hope for me? What should I do to boost my application? SMP? Graduate degree? ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Cross-posting x 2, and PM the exact same thing is a bit overkill. I will respond via PM

Cross-posting x 2, and PM the exact same thing is a bit overkill. I will respond via PM
My apologies! :oops: Wasn't sure if the PM went through- my wireless connection has been quite shoddy lately!

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Hope you guys are off to a great year so far and optimistic about this year like I am. Super excited to be joining the 2014 Pre-Health Program this summer. Any other fellow UPenn students joining me this summer? Also, is there anyone attending the Upenn Orientation Day on Tuesday Jan 14th? Thanks!

Has anyone taken BIOL304 (Infectious Disease Biology) with Dr. Carsten Sanders? I'd like to get a sense of what the exams will be like so I can pro-actively direct my reading efforts...

Hi,

I applied to the Penn Core Health program for summer start on March 13th (they had a completed application at that point) today is the 20th and I haven't heard anything back. Did I apply too late in the cycle? The official deadline for summer start is April 1st. Anybody in the same boat? Any thoughts? Don't know if I'm being too impatient. Thanks!

Hi,

I applied to the Penn Core Health program for summer start on March 13th (they had a completed application at that point) today is the 20th and I haven't heard anything back. Did I apply too late in the cycle? The official deadline for summer start is April 1st. Anybody in the same boat? Any thoughts? Don't know if I'm being too impatient. Thanks!

just pmed you.

Any other fellow students starting the Pre-health Core Studies Program this summer in May? Please pm or reply to this post! Interested in starting a fb/study group!

Hello, everyone. I'm applying to Specialized Studies. I've already applied, but still waiting to hear back. I switched my focus from Business (Accounting) to Pre-med late sophomore year, but I still managed to finish all my pre-req's and some upper level bio electives and graduate in 4 yrs. I'm thinking that enrolling in some kind of Post-Bacc / SMP before medical school will be better for me in the long run.

Even though I already applied, here are my stats; any feedback (about my chances of interview / acceptance) from future/current students would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Overall GPA: 3.4 // SciGPA: 3.2 // SAT: 2230
3 rec letters: 1) chemistry teacher whose class I excelled in and who basically introduced me to pre-med; 2) upper level biology teacher whose class I excelled in and TA'ed for; 3) ethics professor
Plenty of volunteer and clinical experience (shadowing and EMT). But no research and no official MCAT; I'm planning on taking the MCAT in August / September, and I've been getting 25~28 on practices.

I think my [lack of] MCAT is my main worry right now; I'm hoping my SAT will be enough to get noticed (even if it is ~5 yrs old). Thoughts?

Hello, everyone. I'm applying to Specialized Studies. I've already applied, but still waiting to hear back. I switched my focus from Business (Accounting) to Pre-med late sophomore year, but I still managed to finish all my pre-req's and some upper level bio electives and graduate in 4 yrs. I'm thinking that enrolling in some kind of Post-Bacc / SMP before medical school will be better for me in the long run.

Even though I already applied, here are my stats; any feedback (about my chances of interview / acceptance) from future/current students would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Overall GPA: 3.4 // SciGPA: 3.2 // SAT: 2230
3 rec letters: 1) chemistry teacher whose class I excelled in and who basically introduced me to pre-med; 2) upper level biology teacher whose class I excelled in and TA'ed for; 3) ethics professor
Plenty of volunteer and clinical experience (shadowing and EMT). But no research and no official MCAT; I'm planning on taking the MCAT in August / September, and I've been getting 25~28 on practices.

I think my [lack of] MCAT is my main worry right now; I'm hoping my SAT will be enough to get noticed (even if it is ~5 yrs old). Thoughts?

I mean I think you should be fine to get in. But you should not take the MCAT until you are getting 30+ on practices. I took the MCAT in September before starting the Special Science Program, got a 30, and never looked back. Keep in mind though, your bio knowledge and skills will greatly improve with the program (especially if you take Genetics, Cell Bio, Immunology with Cancro), so if you're not doing so hot on practices I would just wait to take it in the Spring instead of rushing it.

Applied to the core health program. My application was marked complete March 13. Received an interview invitation on the 24th, and just had my interview today!! Fingers crossed! Does anybody know what percentage of people they interview get in? Feeling excited!

Appleid to the core health program. My application was marked complete March 13. Received an interveiw invitation on the 24th, and just had my interveiw today!! Fingers crossed! Does anybody know what percentage of people they interveiw get in? Feeling excited!

my application to core health was marked complete about a week ago and now waiting to hear back about an interview! Xconvention did you interview in person or on the phone? could you offer any advice or suggestions? thanks!

Last edited:
Applied to the core health program. My application was marked complete March 13. Received an interview invitation on the 24th, and just had my interview today!! Fingers crossed! Does anybody know what percentage of people they interview get in? Feelin' excited!

niceee, I'm sure you did okay. There were past posters that said they thought they bombed the interview and still got in. Well, at the latest you'll hear from them in two weeks by email. Not sure what the percentage would be but def a higher percentage the earlier you apply bc there are more seats open