You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Upenn Prehealth or American Postbac?
Started by JSZ3
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Did you get accepted to the penn program? If so when did you send in your application and when did they reply? I'm just trying to gauge their review timeline. Thanks!
I sent it in a long time ago...probably decemberish...and didn't go in for an interview until around the beginning of march. They were switching over to a new director so there was a big backup in terms of response time. But yes, I was notified of acceptance probably 2 weeks or less after the interview. What do you know about the success of the program? Where else are you applying?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, thanks. My application was complete on March 29th, but haven't heard back yet. I heard you are supposed to get a interview invite a week afterwards, so that was what I was wondering about.
In the meantime, I am trying to decide between attending Northwestern and NYU for the summer. Penn is my first choice, given their linkage options, so it would be nice to know where I will be in a month or two. 🙂
In the meantime, I am trying to decide between attending Northwestern and NYU for the summer. Penn is my first choice, given their linkage options, so it would be nice to know where I will be in a month or two. 🙂
I was recently accepted to the Penn Pre-Health program as well and I wound up turning them down. I can only speak to why I decided not to attend their program. Through corresponding with current students on SDN and Sonja (the person I interviewed with), it is my understanding (althought the program didn't say this) that attrition is very high, so high that the program will not give you any numbers. I was also unsure about the new director b/c that could go either way. I realize that premed is very difficult, but I really do not want to feel like I am constantly in a room full of gunners competing with each other for a better grade on the set curve. I went to a school like that for undergrad and did not find that aspect to be enjoyable. It is also supposedly very important to achieve all A's in postbacs and Penn's program appears to make that goal even more difficult than most programs to achieve. My advice is that if you thrive on a competive atmosphere and feel very confident in your abilities to excel at the hard sciences anywhere, then go for it. They certainly have great linkages and the Penn name speaks for itself. However, if you want a more supportive atmosphere and are at all apprehensive about entering the sciences, like me, this may not be the program for you. Again, this is only my opinion based on the information I have gathered. Hope it helps!
Hmmm....I wasn't aware Penn had a high attrition rate, although I have heard plenty about Columbia's, which is why I chose not to apply. Where did you end up attending?
Did you consider Northwestern, or have heard anything about their program? Northwestern would be the closest place for me, even though I will still have to make a major move. That's the one I'm leaning towards at the moment. I would be starting in June.
I'm actually currently a senior at NU. I can definitely shed some light on what the premed classes are like here. I realize that NU's postbaccers take classes in the school of continuing studies which is separate from the undergrads, but I think the teaching methods are very similar. I really enjoyed NU, but I will say the environment is synonymous with that of many Ivy League institutions, without the grade inflation. While it is certainly feasible to do well in the hard sciences, they are extremely competitive and always graded on a curve. I chose not to apply there b/c I was not really satisfied with the environment and support that the program has to offer and I was also looking for a change. I heard that Loyola's program is acutally better with advising than NU as well. Again, if you're looking for a reputable school and don't mind a very competitive environment, then you'll do fine at NU. An added bonus, the campus is gorgeous and there's a lot of school pride here as well.
Hey thanks! Yeah, I recently heard that the science classes were extremely challenging, and although I like the fact that the education will be comprehensive, I do have my grades to worry about.
If I do chose to go there, do most students live in Evanston? Or do they commute from neighboring, more affordable towns?
If I do chose to go there, do most students live in Evanston? Or do they commute from neighboring, more affordable towns?
Most undergrad students live in Evanston out of convenience. I'm not completely sure about the postbaccers, but I know that grad students often choose to live in Chicago b/c they want to be in the city. Evanston is a nice suburb, especially downtown Evanston where NU is, but it generally can't compare to what the city has to offer.
I currently attend Penn's program...with numbers and statements like this you need to read between the lines a little. There might be a high attrition rate at Penn, but OVERALL....the acceptance rate is still very high (undergrad numbers put us significantly above average). In my opinion this means a few different things. I have spoken to many (ok about 10) students who came to Penn to do the pre-reqs and were overwhelmed by the rigor and competition. Not to start another war, but in science classes at Penn there is no grade inflation and earning a good grade is difficult. You are in a class of 80 students all with the attitude med school or die...yet about the same percentage of students get A's compared to an undergrad class. The means on exams are higher, but the number of A's is relatively defined. I have the attitude that basically everywhere you go you're gonna work your butt off in these classes so if you can swing it why NOT go to a reputable program at a top school? Just as food for thought....the linkage programs with 10 or so schools require a 3.2 GPA in the basic sciences. You get accepted to these in your first semester here so you get B's-B+'s you are apparently good enough for 10 or so med schools. I think this fact further supports the reputation and rigor of the school. If you go to a state college and do a post bacc on your own a 3.3 GPA will not impress anyone.
Hi - I called Penn and they said that we should hear about interviews within the next couple of weeks. Biting my nails here, as I have a job where I need to find a replacement and finding last-minute housing doesn't excite me at all 😳 .
Regarding the difficulty of a program - I have done a lot of research and have heard people say that a 4.0 from Penn isn't any different than a 4.0 from a state school. I've also heard people say that it does matter where you earned that 4.0. My instinct is that it matters. I'd rather shoot for a 3.5 at Penn than a 4.0 at a state school. Not only that, but I want to be as prepared as possible for the MCAT and med school, so I kind of *want* a tough program. That's not to say that state schools don't prepare you - some of the programs are awesome, and I will likely end up at a state school, but the big names matter, I think. Who knows. So much is luck, too.
Chrissy - do you feel that Penn's classes prepare you for the MCAT and med school?
Regarding the difficulty of a program - I have done a lot of research and have heard people say that a 4.0 from Penn isn't any different than a 4.0 from a state school. I've also heard people say that it does matter where you earned that 4.0. My instinct is that it matters. I'd rather shoot for a 3.5 at Penn than a 4.0 at a state school. Not only that, but I want to be as prepared as possible for the MCAT and med school, so I kind of *want* a tough program. That's not to say that state schools don't prepare you - some of the programs are awesome, and I will likely end up at a state school, but the big names matter, I think. Who knows. So much is luck, too.
Chrissy - do you feel that Penn's classes prepare you for the MCAT and med school?
Heinz57,
Hey thanks! Did you send in your applications around the last week of March too? Yeah, I've been wondering as well about Penn, since I kind of need to make a decision about Northwestern of NYU soon. NYU starts in mid May, so I would need time to find decent housing there beforehand. At the same time, I am trying to complete an online intro to human anatomy course since it's a Northwestern pre-req for their program. So, currently, I'm still juggling my options. So, I guess I will find out soon then...sooner rather than later, hopefully! Best of luck to you!
Hey thanks! Did you send in your applications around the last week of March too? Yeah, I've been wondering as well about Penn, since I kind of need to make a decision about Northwestern of NYU soon. NYU starts in mid May, so I would need time to find decent housing there beforehand. At the same time, I am trying to complete an online intro to human anatomy course since it's a Northwestern pre-req for their program. So, currently, I'm still juggling my options. So, I guess I will find out soon then...sooner rather than later, hopefully! Best of luck to you!
Hi - my application was complete on 3/29 as well. I corresponded briefly with an NYU postbac graduate. He liked the program and he's in med school now. I think it all depends on what you do with the program you're in. NYU and Northwestern are solid choices, in my opinion.
I really want to take advantage of a linkage program if I can. That's my big deal, actually. And I like Phillie. 🙂
Well, let me know if you hear anything and I'll do the same. Good luck!
I really want to take advantage of a linkage program if I can. That's my big deal, actually. And I like Phillie. 🙂
Well, let me know if you hear anything and I'll do the same. Good luck!
Heinz57,
Hey thanks! Did you send in your applications around the last week of March too? Yeah, I've been wondering as well about Penn, since I kind of need to make a decision about Northwestern of NYU soon. NYU starts in mid May, so I would need time to find decent housing there beforehand. At the same time, I am trying to complete an online intro to human anatomy course since it's a Northwestern pre-req for their program. So, currently, I'm still juggling my options. So, I guess I will find out soon then...sooner rather than later, hopefully! Best of luck to you!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi - I called Penn and they said that we should hear about interviews within the next couple of weeks. Biting my nails here, as I have a job where I need to find a replacement and finding last-minute housing doesn't excite me at all 😳 .
Regarding the difficulty of a program - I have done a lot of research and have heard people say that a 4.0 from Penn isn't any different than a 4.0 from a state school. I've also heard people say that it does matter where you earned that 4.0. My instinct is that it matters. I'd rather shoot for a 3.5 at Penn than a 4.0 at a state school. Not only that, but I want to be as prepared as possible for the MCAT and med school, so I kind of *want* a tough program. That's not to say that state schools don't prepare you - some of the programs are awesome, and I will likely end up at a state school, but the big names matter, I think. Who knows. So much is luck, too.![]()
Chrissy - do you feel that Penn's classes prepare you for the MCAT and med school?
My first instinct would be to tell you that within reason, the GPA is going to be more important than where you earned it. Many med schools are going to rank schools based on their difficulty, and take that into account, but getting a 4.0 at a "easier" school as opposed to a 3.0 at a difficult school, like, say, Cal, is still going to be better and may not be more difficult.
Also, there are a number of schools that don't grade science courses on a curve and they don't have lower admissions numbers than ones that are more competitive, in fact, in many cases their placements are better.
Heinz57,
Did the person you spoke with complete the NYU program in one or two years? Did he use their linkage? I was attracted to the fact that they had linkages, but the advisor told me that one would have to achieve a 4.0 in the program to qualify...so....
I was hoping to complete everything in one year as well, and both Northwestern and NYU give the option to do so.
Did the person you spoke with complete the NYU program in one or two years? Did he use their linkage? I was attracted to the fact that they had linkages, but the advisor told me that one would have to achieve a 4.0 in the program to qualify...so....
I was hoping to complete everything in one year as well, and both Northwestern and NYU give the option to do so.
Hi - my application was complete on 3/29 as well. I corresponded briefly with an NYU postbac graduate. He liked the program and he's in med school now. I think it all depends on what you do with the program you're in. NYU and Northwestern are solid choices, in my opinion.
I really want to take advantage of a linkage program if I can. That's my big deal, actually. And I like Phillie. 🙂
Well, let me know if you hear anything and I'll do the same. Good luck!![]()
drizz - I hear where you are coming from, for sure. If I even get into Penn/Tufts 🙂)), I guess I'll go from there. The more I consider Virginia Commonwealth, the more I see it as a viable option for me, though. I sent you a PM, but I am trying to contact adcoms to get an "insider's view" on this situation. The current dean of a local med school (local being the DC/MD/VA area) suggested that names matter to their adcoms, and certain pbpm programs are seen as better than others. But I have also read that adcoms care more about GPA - as long as it was earned at a four-year school. Anyhow, I'll do my best to post my findings here on SDN.
Tiramisu - I sent you a PM re: NYU.
Good day, all! 👍
Tiramisu - I sent you a PM re: NYU.
Good day, all! 👍
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 417
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 1K