UPenn Rennovations?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by PSU SHC 414, Dec 13, 2008.

1. PSU SHC 414

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was wondering if any current UPenn students, or people who have friends that are at Penn, have any definitive information about any major rennovations (particularly to the main clinic) that will be happening at Penn in the next 4-5 years...

If it is happening, how are students in the C/O 2013 (and later) going to be negatively affected?

2. PSU SHC 414

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Here's another question about Penn:

Does anyone have the breakdown of clinical requirements (by procedures) for graduation at Penn?

Also, do you know if Penn students get to place implants by the time they graduate, or are most of those cases reserved for post-grad residents?

3. HupHolland

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I'm not a PENN student, but I don't think any school allows pre-docs to "place" implants--this is done by OMFS or perio usually. You may have the opportunity to "restore" a couple.

Hup :)

4. BFord23

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Here are the restorative requirements I am trying to reach by May:

To keep it simple:
    1 surface amalgam=3 equivalents (add 1 equivalent if resin)
    2 surface amalgam=4 equivalents (add 1 equivalent if resin)
    1 crown/bridge unit=20 equivalents (so a 3 unit bridge would be 60)
    1 arch of Dentures=40 equivalents
    -------------------
    Students must complete 1575 equivalents, with the following distribution:

280 equivalents in Removable Prosthodontics:
    Minimum of 120 equivalents in complete dentures (minimum baseline of 3 arches)
    Minimum of 120 equivalents in removable partial dentures (minimum baseline of 3 arches)
    Minimum of 40 equivalents (1 arch) of complete denture or removable partial denture

675 equivalents in Fixed Prosthodontics
    Minimum of 180 equivalents in Bridges;
    Minimum of 375 equivalents in Since Crowns;
    Minimum of 120 in any combination of Crown & Bridge

500 equivalents in Operative Dentistry
    Minimum of 250 in Amalgam
    Minimum of 150 in Resin
    Minimum of 100 in any combination
    Remaining 120 equivalents in any combination of categories.

-------------------

You need to complete about 52 cleanings, and about 18 patients who need perio work (sc/rp)

-------------------

You need to complete a minimum of 15 canals of root canal therapy on patients and a bunch more on extracted teeth.

-------------------

The other requirements (ortho, peds, omfs, etc.) are basically attendance based.

#4 BFord23, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  5. PSU SHC 414

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Unless I misunderstood or misheard, they told us at the interview that Pitt students have the chance to place an implant by the time they graduate.

Based on hup's response, though, I'm probably mistaken...

6. HupHolland

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Honestly, I could be wrong. I'm under the assumption that the placement will always go to post-grad. However, I'm sure you could "assist" an implant placement and get a lot out of the experience. Remember, placement is a surgical procedure.

Hup

7. BFord23

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    They are raising money for the renovations, but from what I am told it is not going to be done for some time. I don't think it will negatively impact anyone because they will do it "a bay at a time" and the students in that bay will be moved to another clinic that will be made available. They did that when they re-did the perio clinic and it worked out really well.

As of now, no students place implants but the head of our restorative department is trying to make it a requirement for graduation (not sure how likely it is). Also, who knows what could change with a new dean.

8. PSU SHC 414

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Thanks for all the great input, BFord.

Is getting a chair (esp. as a D3) a big hassle at Penn?

9. BFord23

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, it really depends on your "group" and how you decide to run things. Most groups are 18 students w/equal # of D3s and D4s. In my group D4s get their own chair for every session. The D3's have a "wait list" they rotate on, but generally they get a chair because of cancelations or seniors not being in clinic (interviews, externships, etc.). Last year I only sent 1 patient home because I could not get a chair in the first half hour and that was because people were screening for the NERBs. So, from my standpoint, it is a little bit of a pain as a D3 but it is great when your a D4 (when it counts). I will admit that some of my classmates have not been as lucky though.

Last thing I will mention- Although penn is not perfect, and chairs are sometimes an issue, we have a surplus of patients (thats why our requirements can be so high). Make sure you end up at a place where you will be busy ... I couldn't imagine having to do dentiform prepps to graduate because I haven't had enough clinical experience.

10. PSU SHC 414

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You listed above that you need 15 canals of RCT... is it difficult to get Philadelphia-area patients to agree to RCT (vs extracting); similarly, is it difficult to get patients to agree to get crown work done?

Also, is it true that you don't have any patient exposure (even cleanings) until late 2nd year?

Sorry about all the questions... I'm having a tough time choosing a school right now. Can't tell you how much I appreciate all of this info, BFord - thanks!

11. BFord23

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Patient exposure-
    Basically none until 3rd year. You pick a friend (non-dental student) to do a cleaning on in D2, and you learn basic perio/anesthesia technique on each other in D2. To be honest, I would have liked to see a pt. earlier.

RCT-
    Penn is one of the few places in the area that participates w/ medicaid so I have patients that travel an hour to come and see me. The reason our fixed pros and RCT requirements are so high is because we tend to have a motivated patient population. There are always some people who have a hard time meeting the requirements though.

12. PSU SHC 414

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks again BFord!

Is the R Schattner center open on Saturdays?

I'm thinking about taking a trip down to Penn this weekend to see if I can talk to some students about how they like it since I'm only a 45 min SEPTA ride away...

13. BFord23

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    School is open on the weekends, but the clinics are closed. I am in clinic on Tue/Wed, and alternating Fridays. You are welcome to come in and shadow me any of those days ... Just PM me.