This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IOOA14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm trying to make a budget for next year so I was wondering how feasible do you think it would be to budget living off of $1,000/ month in Philly? Also, how much do you guys spend on food each month? Right now, I have found a place that's about $600/month. I do not plan on bringing a car with me either. I'm wondering what additional costs you guys find that you spend money on each month besides rent, food, utilities?

Members don't see this ad.

Rent + utilities: 555.
Groceries + eating out: 400.
health insurance: 260.
car insurance: 90.
gas: 70.
cell phone: 65.
entertainment, clothing, car maintenance/repairs, miscellaneous expenses: highly variable.

school's health insurance is a bitch, especially if you're young and relatively healthy.

Reactions: 1 user
Living in philly on $1000 monthly is doable.

I have a $1,500 monthly allowance from my parents to pay for everything.

Rent + utilities: ~800
Groceries (HMART, COSTCO, TRADER'S JOE, and WHOLE FOODS): ~150
Eating out: ~200
health insurance: free under my parent's plan

I use the remaining budget to invest in shoes, watches, lending club, cryptocurrency, and etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
My monthly expenses include: rent, utilities, spotify, netflix, grocery, eating out, transportation (ubers, gas), personal care (like clothes, mani/pedis, co-payments, etc).

I usually spend about $250 a month on groceries (in KY) and $50-$100 eating out. I cook a lot and mostly go out with friends to lunches/dinner.

Make sure to take into account expenses for school. I spend ~$200/term on teeth, burs, etc.

If you want loupes and it's not included in your school's budget, account for that too. You can do no-interest payment plans if you want to spread it out as well.

I use the remaining budget to invest in shoes, watches, lending club, cryptocurrency, and etc.

What kind of returns are you getting on lending club?