IOOA14

2+ Year Member
May 9, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hello everyone! I'm trying to make a budget for next year so I was wondering how feasible do you think it would be to budget living off of $1,000/ month in Philly? Also, how much do you guys spend on food each month? Right now, I have found a place that's about $600/month. I do not plan on bringing a car with me either. I'm wondering what additional costs you guys find that you spend money on each month besides rent, food, utilities?

Rent + utilities: 555.
Groceries + eating out: 400.
health insurance: 260.
car insurance: 90.
gas: 70.
cell phone: 65.
entertainment, clothing, car maintenance/repairs, miscellaneous expenses: highly variable.

school's health insurance is a bitch, especially if you're young and relatively healthy.

Reactions: 1 user

DOC YANKEM

2+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2017
School Library
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Living in philly on $1000 monthly is doable.

I have a $1,500 monthly allowance from my parents to pay for everything.

Rent + utilities: ~800
Groceries (HMART, COSTCO, TRADER'S JOE, and WHOLE FOODS): ~150
Eating out: ~200
health insurance: free under my parent's plan

I use the remaining budget to invest in shoes, watches, lending club, cryptocurrency, and etc.

About the Ads
D

deleted891901

My monthly expenses include: rent, utilities, spotify, netflix, grocery, eating out, transportation (ubers, gas), personal care (like clothes, mani/pedis, co-payments, etc).

I usually spend about $250 a month on groceries (in KY) and $50-$100 eating out. I cook a lot and mostly go out with friends to lunches/dinner.

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2014
Alterac Valley
Make sure to take into account expenses for school. I spend ~$200/term on teeth, burs, etc.

If you want loupes and it's not included in your school's budget, account for that too. You can do no-interest payment plans if you want to spread it out as well.

I use the remaining budget to invest in shoes, watches, lending club, cryptocurrency, and etc.

What kind of returns are you getting on lending club?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.